Change Farm to Temperate (keep the farm stuff just generalize the Tile Set Name)

yea i agree lol plus it's really boring when you run in to nothing but farms for a while.... and in the Desert you'd either run into a base or just Desert with no buildings i don't see why we can't do this with "Temerate" aka Farms

i've already made a few forest levels and they look good in my opinion =)

Edit Something i just threw together in 5 minutes

TemerateTreeTilesblah.jpg

TemerateTreeTilesblah.jpg

TemerateTreeTilesblah.jpg.8e03a47a2c4477

Edited by Falidell

I'd also hope that, when they start adding in the more maps they're supposed to add in later, they also add in "jungle" or at least a plain "forest" distinguished from "grassland" at some point, as it seems a little silly to find farms occupying all of the Amazon Rainforest. (Multitile trees that are built like the tractors are in farms would be a neat feature.)

You could even make a sort of savanna/grassland just combining some of the desert tiles with the farm tiles, without needing to pixel art up whole new tilesets from scratch.

Yeah, "temperate" seems good to me. All that would need to be done is to change strings.xml, I think, so that the players see "temperate" instead of "farm". I don't care if they're still called farm maps under the hood.

I'd also hope that, when they start adding in the more maps they're supposed to add in later, they also add in "jungle" or at least a plain "forest" distinguished from "grassland" at some point, as it seems a little silly to find farms occupying all of the Amazon Rainforest. (Multitile trees that are built like the tractors are in farms would be a neat feature.)

You could even make a sort of savanna/grassland just combining some of the desert tiles with the farm tiles, without needing to pixel art up whole new tilesets from scratch.

I miss the jungle tileset from the OG X-Com too. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get new tilesets, just more maps in the existing tilesets. I have absolutely no idea whether new tilesets can be modded into the geoscape or not.

Then again, a jungle tileset would "only" need new flora/fauna props. Buildings, grass etc. can be reused from existing assets. So here's hoping.

Then again' date=' a jungle tileset would "only" need new flora/fauna props. Buildings, grass etc. can be reused from existing assets. So here's hoping.[/quote']

That's pretty much what I mean.

You could make a "Savanna" biome tileset by just Frankensteining together some desert and grass tiles that already exist.

Maybe a "Taiga" out of some combination grass and snow tiles, at that.

"Temperate Forest" just uses the same stuff you were using for the Temperate, above.

All you really need to do is break up the worldmap into more distinct zones, and have the capacity to put in more types of tiles.

I'm not sure what Goldhawk's policies are regarding community art assets or the like, but with the capacity to just expand what tilesets there are in the game through modding alone, you could have potentially a much broader range of biomes. (On the complete opposite end of the spectrum from just using what we have in slightly different ways, I would like to see some rivers, or the like, as well. I'm not sure if there's even an option for terrain that takes up more movement points yet, but boggy swamps or something would be an interesting addition.)

well see i already have some forest maps oh btw stinky your farm houses are making good use in 5/20 of my forest maps and for my own personal fun with the game i got rid of industrial maps all together by modding the:

assets\earth\continentmasks\tilesetmask1 && tilesetmask2

which determine where on the geoscope what map you'll get they over lap so in some areas you can get either desert or middle east within the same spot. i just never really like the industrial tileset. stinky has made them more enjoyable but even with the variety i've only liked buildings in terror sites. farms are acceptable because i like green.

more to the point yea we could do a lot more stuff with a more generic naming system and have it make sense.