[SUGGESTION] The Muton race, or whatever is going to be called

xracer

As i remember Mutons, were build or re-engineered for battle, they were bad ass, also remember something to the fact they had armor grafted onto their skin.

Ok stay with me, since these are soldiers why not make them a little bit more deadly by allowing them to blend into their surrounding, like giving them a chameleon type feature so that they coudl easily blend into all types of terrains, I know for the at dept this will create an issue, but if not too difficult i think it will ad just a little more tension, sicne they will be harder to spot.

another of the $0.02 ( i know, i know i am running low now)

well there is the copyright and the trademark aspect of it, a copyright means you cannot use the same aesthetics as the ones used on the original game, the trademark is the "word or phrase", in this case Muton doesn't' have a trademark, and if you use different sprites or objects you are not infringing on their copyright, i hope you see where i am going. trust me i work in the field

But of course it would be easier to name them "lakrjeijhfd" to prevent any legal issues. but truly you would not be violating anything if you wanted to use Muton.

Also why would it be cheap to copy?

First you are not copying you are creating your own art,

Second you are giving your "work" features then original didn't have.

I think is more evolution rather than copying, remember all out technology is called "development" that means someone thought of something and then someone else improved on the idea. the improvement is what makes your idea unique. OK i think i am getting a little drawn into this so better stop ;)

DISCLAIMER: i am not your legal advisor nor do i claim to advise you or any game/developer/person to use said words.

Aren't they part of the X-com trademark? or do you need to trademark each individual name?

And It was more if you did your own version of all the original x-com aliens. A few works like the own take on the greys thatt X-com called sectiods and Xenonauts call ... Cesarans? hmmm dont think thats quite right but whatever. but all of them would be too much.

Edited by Gorlom

they need to be trademark individually. a trademark is not an umbrella is for specifics

No it would not be too much, the problem comes when a person/developer/programmer tries to replicate the art work too closely, such as it happened with TTS, they were going for a full X-COM immersion which caused their artwork to be extremely close to the original. the argument here is that if the copyright owner says "that artwork is far to close and resembles our art work,... etc" they would have a valid argument.

However if you have another game with another system where your "units" perform different function and look different, then they cannot attack since it was your creation, then the trademark arguments comes in, however Muton has no trademark nor sectoid, 2K filed for Sectoid circa 2005 but the app was abandoned. man, do i drag myself back in the whole or what!!!!

Edited by xracer

Chris did mention that there are a few main species and some secondary species.

You will likely see each main species with some elements of one or two secondary species.

Kind of like terror missions from x-com where you would have a normal alien type mixed with some terror units.

It works out at around 12 different species with maybe 4 main ones having several ranks each.

Some of the secondary types are "vehicles" like the cyberdisc.

That was my take on his post, although I can't find it now so could be on the old forum.

someone found the names of all the species in one of the data files, with some basic stats for them all, but that may not actually represent their actual planned stats.

Ah here it is:

AD, you can have a look at the AIprops.xml It has a list of the parameters for 7 alien races; Caesan, Praetor, Reaper, Wraith, Harridan, Andron, Sebillian. I know that these have probably just been put in as placeholders, but none have outrageous stats though they appear to have been demarcated to a degree.
Edited by anotherdevil
Super new information!

Chris did mention that there are a few main species and some secondary species.

You will likely see each main species with some elements of one or two secondary species.

Kind of like terror missions from x-com where you would have a normal alien type mixed with some terror units.

It works out at around 12 different species with maybe 4 main ones having several ranks each.

Some of the secondary types are "vehicles" like the cyberdisc.

That was my take on his post, although I can't find it now so could be on the old forum.

Sounds cool! I, too, stumbled across alien race names in the files and was wondering what the "terror units" were going to be. Good to know!

What! No cute scuttling animations? Do they occasionally fall over if they walk through a puddle or on ice? God that would be funny =p

[man outside]"Oh no I'm going to die, it's a scuttler! I'll never make it. Save yourselves"

[man in chinook] "OK, your sacrifice is noted!"

*chinook takes off, scuttler runs, slips on an oil slick*

[MO] "oh bugger, I totally could have made it!"

=p

• 5 months later...