Suggestion: Make IronMan only save at the end of a turn.

Per the title, I think IronMan mode should only save at the end of a turn.

So, I know the intention of ironman is to add tension and make you live with unfortunate (interesting) consequences in game. That being said, in other games that have ironman, I have enjoyed exploiting ironman mode by ctrl-alt-delete quitting the game to avoid a save. I only do this when something stupidly annoying happens, like when one of my guys accidentally shoots another guy when the chance of that happening is ridiculuously low (such as 5%). Its a real bummer to lose a guy in ironman mode based on your own decision and I use this treasured exploit with care, in other situations.

Anyone else do this? I'm sure that would undermine the purpose of ironman mode for some - but not for me.

If you're going to cheat, why not just do the old ironman thing of copying the save/whole save folder?

I mean, I don't like the annoying random deaths, either, but then, I don't play ironman because of it. Ironman is an option - if you're going to play on extreme difficulty settings, then you should be ready for extreme difficulty. If you are just copy-pasting the save folders, then all you're doing is slightly discouraging savescumming by making it more tedious to perform.

Conceptually, I disagree with that. It undermines the point of ironman entirely.

However, the reason that I'd understand something like that is when some sort of bug causes the deaths. It's happened in my ironman runs in Xenonauts, and even in XCOM2012. Heck, sometimes I'm not even sure what happened. Literally. I'll be sitting there, surveying the battlefield, literally unsure of what events just occurred that caused three of my people to be dead. Or sometimes it's more obvious and the aliens are just wall-hacking cheatyface bastards.

I pretty much expected those responses. Like I said, that doesn't undermine the point of ironman for me, though it will for some people. 1) I like ironman b/c saving and loading all the time breaks immersion and is tedious; 2) exploitable ironman discourages me from saving and loading, but still allows an out in a short-term, that-was-just-stupid king of situation; 3) most of the difficulty of ironman is still preserved - I don't reload if I am shot in most instances or I otherwise do poorly.

Anyway, thank you Wraith_Magus for the great suggestion about saving the folder. That is a nice workaround (though I still would prefer the exploitable ironman). I guess the bottomline of my suggestion is to say I think people (or just me) would enjoy some level of customizability for ironman's difficulty which allows you to avoid situations like shooting your own guys when the chance is very low.

edit: oh, i know, call it tinman or bronzeman....

Edited by victorix58

If you truly do ironman, you won't be trying to get around it so there is no point in making it entirely cheat free.

isn't save at the end of each turn easier to abuse than more sparse saving?

Which seems to be what the OP is going for rather than preventing abuse...

To me, it does sort of undermine the purpose of Iron Man mode (though I don't think Iron Man mode is properly ready for use yet). But ultimately the game is there for you to play it the way you want to, and if you'd prefer to play it that way then by all means do so.

isn't save at the end of each turn easier to abuse than more sparse saving?

Which seems to be what the OP is going for rather than preventing abuse...

Technically, the best way to avoid cheating tends to be to force overwriting saves all the time, so that you can't just Three Finger Salute your problems away. Minecraft works like this - I think it saves every 30 seconds.

Likewise, if you want to shut down the cheating method I just described in this thread, the copy-pasting method, I think it's possible to make part of the save a time stamp on when the file was first created, so that if the file is renamed (as with after a copy-pasted file is renamed to take the place of a deleted file) it will come up with a discrepancy in the timestamp, where you can declare the player a cheater.

This would be great, especially if the game didn't call you a cheater, but it made it so that alien shots always hit and your soldiers' weapons deal no damage.

???

Edit: On a side note, I guess what I really want is an improved save system. I don't want to save my game, I hate saving my game. I wouldn't play Ironman, perhaps, if there was just a regular save function which took care of that for me.

Edited by victorix58

What are you going on about OP? There is an autosave feature already that saves before a mission, after it, and at the end of the month.

That is all you should need. But hey, I'm sure someone else will mod in an auto save feature. But it won't be iron man mode.

And currently bullet deviation blows but the devs claimed to have it figured out.

???

Edit: On a side note, I guess what I really want is an improved save system. I don't want to save my game, I hate saving my game. I wouldn't play Ironman, perhaps, if there was just a regular save function which took care of that for me.

I was referring to the post above mine that suggested saves have an internal timestamp that makes them not work if the stamps don't match. Except instead of that, my suggestion ruins the game for cheaters.