StellarRat

GTA V - Most expensive game in history

GTA V - $266 MILLION to develop and market. Rakes in $1 BILLION in sales in three days. Actually, it's the biggest entertainment release ever too, topping the highest grossing movies in history too.

In other breaking news: Xenonauts costs substantially less to develop! :D

Edited by StellarRat

There's art and there's "art." A lot of movies aren't "art," but maybe they are, technically, art. I think it's the same way with video games. Know what I'm saying?

One man's art is another pile of steaming poo... While most people think the Mona Lisa is art you'd have a hard time getting many people to agree on pop movies.

Then there was the art installation that was steaming poo, confusing both sides.

Late news: Xenonauts will now have to perform heists to get funding pennies, in a clear piggyback onto the success of GTA!

Then there was the art installation that was steaming poo, confusing both sides.

Late news: Xenonauts will now have to perform heists to get funding pennies, in a clear piggyback onto the success of GTA!

Maybe alien bases should have alien safes with lots of alien loot $$ stashed in them!

I heard a rumor that half the budget for GTA V was marketing. Not that it matters, I always thought the GTA games were repetitive, bland, and depressing. Xenonauts, on the other hand, is imaginative, strategic and interesting.

Victorix, I watched a friend play GTA V for a reasonably short amount of time (1 hour? Maybe 2, tops), and I have to admit the game is not "repetitive, bland, and depressing." It's got interesting characters with differing personalities, good interpersonal relationships, humor (including body language humor, which is hard to find in video games), and a couple really unique systems. The way heists are set up, which is completely new, at least among GTA games, is pretty awesome, and puts some control into the hands of the player.

My friend got to pick his team, pick his strategy, and lead the team through the heist, often switching characters at scripted points so that he was controlling whomever was doing the most "interesting" thing. So he started by climbing the building and tossing gas into the air vents to knock everyone out as character #1. Then, as character #2, he broke into the building (wearing a gas mask) and started smashing containers and bagging up the jewelry. The thieves got onto three motorcycles and drove away. My friend, still playing as character #2, watched as the driver HE chose to hire crashed out on his bike, and we saw the potential payout plummet. If he'd hired a better driver, then that wouldn't have happened. Finally, he switched to a THIRD character, who was driving a big old cargo truck, and that character forced cop cars to crash until they were no longer pursuing.

So if you were paying attention, in ONE heist he played FOUR different games. Climbing/puzzling, smash&grab, driving (evasion/maze), and driving (combat). It was AWESOME.

And apparently the list of confirmed features for the upcoming (next week) multiplayer is also quite extraordinarily extensive.

Now, if you're willing to actually think about what makes games different rather than blindly saying "Xenonauts #1!", you'll notice that in Xenonauts there is only one personality, and only one source of humor: The head researcher. Even X-COM: EU had three major personalities, as thin as they were.

So yeah, EVEN IF half the budget was marketing, the other half was still enough to build an amazing game. I'm not a GTA fan, but that is a very, VERY well made game.

Wow, you took my brief post pretty seriously Waladil. My main intention was to compliment Xenonauts, the indie developers' efforts, and the kind of game they setout to make. The other GTA games, as I said, I think are a waste of time and money. I have not looked at GTA V - what you describe does sound carefully designed and tactical. I am not sure that would convince me that it's worth buying, but it does sound fun. Satisfied? If for some reason this personally irks you, I recommend we continue a discussion through private message rather than in this thread.

Edit note: forgot a verb

Complimenting Xenonauts by dismissing another game is false praise, and doesn't do any good IMO. All the GTA games I've played have been phenomenal -- the main story missions may be linear and a bit morose (as intended by the developers), but the main missions are a small fraction of the game if that isn't your cup of tea. Besides, comparing GTA to Xenonauts is like comparing apples to oysters -- they are nothing alike so their flaws and strengths are completely dissociated from the other game entirely.

I heard a rumor that half the budget for GTA V was marketing. Not that it matters, I always thought the GTA games were repetitive, bland, and depressing. Xenonauts, on the other hand, is imaginative, strategic and interesting.

I got the game and you just described exactly the reasons I should have never bought it. Seems all the "gamers" that includes everyone and their grandmother went out and got it and love it. All those who own consoles or used this game as an excuse to buy a console are suddenly coming out of the woodwork, doing something they do maybe once or twice a year that is: play a video game.

I've played maybe 3 missions since release and its the same boring sensational crap that excites that average fool we saw in all the other GTAs just better graphics. GTA, will litter the stores and online places for months now with advertising.

Waladil, have you played any of the other grand thief auto games? It gets old fast. In GTA V the camera is as bad as it was in previous ones.

The way the cars handle is as usual terribly and unrealistic (not even a good arcade driving experience) the missions are very repetitive, same crap of chasing and getting someone and getting away from the police-how many times in how many missions and how many GTAs do we need to do this crap!

As for the Characters they are one sided common place scumbags.

Edited by windex