which total war is best  

25 members have voted

1. 1. which total war is best

• Rome Total War
    • Shogun Total War
    • Meadieval Total war
    • Empire Total war
    • Napoleon Total War

I liked Medieval: Total War 1 the best, although that's probably because I didn't notice how bad the AI was. I also didn't like the change to the overview map, I much preferred the gameboard type deal.

I wanted to like Rome, since the idea of the different faction playing differently (Roman faction having few men, but tough ones, while the barbarians had hordes), but I vaguely remember the AI being daft and standing still while archers murdered their entire army. Maybe that was Medieval 2, though.

I've heard Rome 2's got dodgy AI too, so I'll wait for a sale.

I've played a bit of Rome II, and then gave up and went back to Roma Surrectum II (complete overhaul mod for the original Rome) because I got so bored. I haven't noticed any major graphical improvements from Shogun II, it is pretty enough, but the AI is abhorrent and the units move so fast that battles are literally over in 3-4 minutes. 3 minute battles combined with 3 minute turn lengths on the giant map that is made mostly of filler forests/mountains/seas gets tiring, especially because they've streamlined the armies and cities so much that you don't really have to think about much of anything on the campaign map. I've literally spent more time waiting for the turns to pass than actually playing the game -- battles and campaign map time combined!

Gah, sorry. Rant over.

I like the original Rome, but can't really play it without mods (eg. RSII). I play all the rest from time to time (although I've never actually played Napolean, even though I bought it in a pack with all the rest) depending on whether I'm feeling a bit master and commander, or perhaps if I want to take back the mines of Moria, or a bit sanguine watching samurai go at eachother.

I liked the Rome Total Realism Mod for the first Rome game. And I liked the Stainless Steel Mod for the second Medieval Game. I think the Original Shogun game is the best one of the lot as I never thought it needed Mods to make it better.

I think the Original Shogun game is the best one of the lot as I never thought it needed Mods to make it better.

What's that? I can't here you over the sound of Gatling guns massacring samurai hordes!

With Rome you mean Rome 1? (same question for Medieval and Shogun ;))

If you mean Rome 1 than that gets my vote, if we are talking about the sequels i guess it would be Shogun

For me Shogun 2 was the formula perfected. Such a great art style and atmosphere, I could just stare at the campaign map all day.

I loved Medieval II the most - Rome I was basically as good, but I thought that the merchants and priests were fun additions to the game that didn't involve the same kind of overwhelming tech tree nonsense that tried to make the game into Civilization - the Dumbed-down Version.

Shogun II was just so much BLOAT that didn't add much of anything to the game. Empire's naval battles were theoretically a good idea, but there was basically no reason not to autobattle, since any tactics besides "just rush the enemy" would almost inevitably result in my units being more battered for their trouble. (But then, I never played a game long enough to get the higher-end tech tree nonsense, it just so bored me.)

I really liked the older game's abstractions on the cities - it was so elegant. Build public sanitation or better farms? +0.5% to growth rates. Population hits a 20k milestone? -0.5% growth due to squalor.

And really, what has been added to the actual wars? Only Empire's guns really felt different. Shogun II was just the same as Shogun I and the Medievals, with stupider siege AI that let me fire-arrow everything to death so long as I kept punching the "speed up" button to get all my super-powers cooled down. It's like we're playing the same game with just more interface bloat added every time, but none of the old problems ever being fixed.

I liked empire the best.. got over 500hours on it. Sho2 and rome2 both only have about 70hours and i dont want to play those games again..

Rome II hasn't gotten very good reviews. Everyone says the graphics are great, but AI and historical stuff is really messed up.

Rome II hasn't gotten very good reviews. Everyone says the graphics are great, but AI and historical stuff is really messed up.

Really? that is kind of ironic... They paid the guys from "extra-credits" to do a promotional series not for Rome II but to pomote interest in the actual history... Unless I've misunderstood something.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/extra-history-the-punic-wars-begin

Edited by Gorlom

Really? that is kind of ironic... They paid the guys from "extra-credits" to do a promotional series not for Rome II but to pomote interest in the actual history... Unless I've misunderstood something.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/extra-history-the-punic-wars-begin

If you have some time check out the comments on the review and the comments in the forum after the game was released.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/total-war-rome-ii-pc-game-review.htm

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124648

The review implies that the history is detailed and correct (why would history buffs appriciate it if it was detailed and wrong?)

With one comment that says "bad history" but does not explain anything and has a complaint about the encyclopedia being incomplete.

The other link seems to be to the first page of a thread that is still anticipating the game.. Which page should I go to to read about complaints about how the history is portraid? (im not interested in the AI because im not interested in the game itself)

The review implies that the history is detailed and correct (why would history buffs appriciate it if it was detailed and wrong?)

With one comment that says "bad history" but does not explain anything and has a complaint about the encyclopedia being incomplete.

The other link seems to be to the first page of a thread that is still anticipating the game.. Which page should I go to to read about complaints about how the history is portraid? (im not interested in the AI because im not interested in the game itself)

On the review itself you need to read the comments of the readers (down below the review.) In the forums start here: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2633674&postcount=40

I only found one comment on the review and I didn't trust him as far as I can throw him due to him not backing it up.

Although It appears to be the same guy that makes the complaints on the forum, and it appears to be some very specific unit details that upsets him. Though appears it is details that might need to not be comkpletley accurate as to not hamper/limit the gameplay. (is that sentance to complicated to make sense?)

I only found one comment on the review and I didn't trust him as far as I can throw him due to him not backing it up.
There are many comments on that review (most of them bad)...hmm...

Here I just copied them directly:

90? Wow just wow. Thoroughly shocked. Can’t even get a accurate review from a dedicated wargaming site on how the game is such a backslide to the tenets of the series.

Jim Cobb says:

9/11/2013 at 11:20 am

I thought the review was fine. I’ll buy the game now.

Law, could you be more specific?

Gunnergoz says:

9/11/2013 at 11:25 am

So where’s your detailed review and critique to educate us?

Jim Cobb says:

9/11/2013 at 11:35 am

Sorry, all booked up. When I buy it, I’ll post on the forums.

Jim Cobb says:

9/13/2013 at 7:49 pm

I rescind my complement; the review was sloppy. Not only is the game bad history but the encyclopedia isn’t even complete. Under siege units, it says “New text needed here”. How did the reviewer take a town? Did he just keep doing tech unit liege engines appeared?

StellarRat says:

9/11/2013 at 12:09 pm

Does it have multi-player on strategic and tactical levels?

Peter Suciu says:

9/11/2013 at 7:01 pm

Rome II does have multiplayer for the campaigns and for the tactical battles.

While I did have an opportunity to play the campaign in a multi-player setting for my review, and thus did not base my opinion on it, I found the tactical battles in multiplayer to be generally well polished in the present state.

I have also found that the latest batch has improved the overall gameplay experience.

Mikeck says:

9/11/2013 at 12:23 pm

Good review. I fond it a bit tedious that everytime there is a reviewer who enjoys the game, someone has to come on and complain because the reviewer didnt hate it like they do…its not an accurate review unless you hate it…then its a good review. You know, there actually are people who play the game and love it, dont experience crashes, have it run smooth and find the AI to be quite reasonble.

Law says:

9/11/2013 at 1:13 pm

Its not even about the bugs, I have an I7 and a duall 680s even though sli isnt support yet. I’m disappointed about the direction the series went and the ripped guts. Its going to very good in the future via patches or mods but right now IMO, it’s not a very deep game RELATIVE its OWN pedigree

Fabierien says:

9/11/2013 at 12:38 pm

So I will make this brief. I am a huge total war fan and my mini review will be biased.

That said I disagree with the Generals Score. To me the game is more of a 75%.

I will elaborate. The strategic battle goodness of previous total wars is there and is awesome. I will also note that I only have about 12 hours into the game.

The first non-bug problem with the game is the UI. I suggest to start playing a harder faction (so you will have to work to build vs having a huge army at your finger tips turn 1) just so you can spend hours figuring it out. This is definitely a downgrade from Shogun II, however Rome is doing a lot more than Shogun II. /shrug

The next odd choice of design was the province choice. So each province has 3 cities, when you hold all cities in a province you can issue province wide edicts. This is cool and each province is different. It gives a ton of flavor to different regions. However this also means that every time I conquer a city of a province everyone else gets pissed again. Example. I held Larissa and had it stable. When I moved and took Pella, Larissa got the negative bonus for being conquered again. Grr. Also at this point what you can build seems to be limited in each city. You really have to plan the whole region. Which is an interesting design choice. I guess that lets you build cities on the front into war machines and then tear it down later to turn them into production. /shrug. I feel limited by it.

Lastly, the AI movement on the map. I said go to Pella so the AI went south of Pella and jumped the army into the ocean and blockaded the city port. /scratches head. Hmmm. So now we get back into another interesting design choice. Cities have ‘auras’ of influence. You cannot enter that aura without a treaty or without attacking the city itself. Sometimes you are just trying to move a relief army to assist your besieged city but there is someone between you that won’t give you access. Grr.

Sub-part to the above. I am separating this because it might be a design choice or it might be a bug. I don’t know at this point. So when my army dove into the water to blockade Pella it entered the influence aura of the city. This meant that my army was stuck. I could only attack the city. It could not return to land because of the aura and it could not move out of range because of the aura. My army was effectively trapped. That left me only one option to attack the city. Is this a feature or a bug, I dunno but it is frustrating as heck.

Other small cool things. Armies can now gain traits along with leaders. This is very neat.

Not so cool thing. Agents have 3 primary stats now which means generals have 3 defenses. you have to monitor traits to keep this balanced or your general is going to be susceptible to certain agent ploys.

Kind of neat about that last bit is your general’s special abilities are tied to which stats they have. Not all generals are generic and not all of them can rally troops anymore. Some give rest breaks and others attack bonus’s.

Lastly. I have no clue what heroes do. None. They seem to act like agents but are different. I am Sparta (horrible hard faction btw way) and I have Leonidas roaming around challenging leaders of armies to battles. Not sure if heroes are more like the Geisha from Shogun or what. They seem just tacked on and a waste. I dunno.

Cool bit. When you auto calc you can now chose how your army fights. Defensive, neutral or aggressive. More aggressive you lose more but kill more and so on and so on. Neat, though it rarely does more than change the outcome by a few % points of losses. Still neat.

A solid 75% if you like total war games get it.

Law says:

9/11/2013 at 1:05 pm

The game released on the 3rd. I’m all critiqued out. I’m a leave you with this though . If you are true fan of the series and are fond of the integral aspects of what this series was founded on, and you go buy this game you’ll be sorry. Based on this review everything is better than fine.

Check this out This guy is a little juvenile with his delivery, but he hits on a lot of the issues vets, ESPECIALLY vets of the series would have. If you are new to the series or a beer and pretzel guy, this game is shallow ok game.

pelham says:

9/11/2013 at 7:04 pm

@law actually now that the video puts it like that I agree.

Oiva says:

9/12/2013 at 3:26 am

I have purchased all of the Total War games and this is by far the best and most glorious!

Jim Cobb says:

9/12/2013 at 8:39 am

Yeah, the video was an eye-opener.

Jim Cobb says:

9/12/2013 at 8:54 am

Scanning the manual as Steam takes it sweet time installing the game, I see no mention of money or bread and circuses. How do you have Roman politics without those?

Jim Cobb says:

9/12/2013 at 10:29 am

The tactical game is all wrong. Triarii, hatastii, etc were not single units but were difference line of the same maniple. Hastati weren’t all that heavily armed.

Fabierien says:

9/13/2013 at 8:14 pm

I will admit that I have not experienced a lot of what the video mentioned. I have had a lot of weird bugs. I also agree that the random victory point to hold in the middle of the grass plains really sucks. What is the point of varied terrains if you are going to tell me where I have to stand.

Again I agree with the video that I like the core of the game and what it is built on, but the game was pushed out before it was ready. That is most likely a Sega thing and yeah the way the DLC was done really angers me. It is like they knew all the areas that needed help but did not want to spend to get it done.

Also has anyone figured out what the promotion of the characters do in the faction screen? I have also yet to be able to adopt a character. I married one character off but I do not know to whom or if it mattered. Marry was just highlighted so I was like what the heck. Not like in previous total war games where your heirs mattered. Yeah that whole first faction screen boggles my mind.

StellarRat says:

9/16/2013 at 1:30 pm

Well, I was going to buy this, but since it’s a $60 game AND a lot of the people that have played it themselves say it’s not good I’m going to pass until I hear that all the problems are fixed. It’s particularly disturbing to hear the AI has major issues. I’m really not quite sure how this game rated a 90.

Edited by StellarRat

You know I'm only talking about the history aspect due to the whole extra credit gets money to talk history bit, right? I don't give a gnats piss about it's graphics, AI or buggs.

Rome II is as historically realistic as any other TW game, that is to say to an extent. The only annoying thing are those flaming javelins that everyone has. The quasi-documentaries are just more money that got pissed away on advertising and have nothing to do with the game except the general theme and promotion.

That said I see no reason to buy it now. Wait 6 - 9 months until it's fully patched and get the game with all the DLC at a 50 - 75% discount. SEGA's business practice here practically demands it. In this day and age buying a game at release at full price means going out of your way to support it.

Edited by Jean-Luc

You know I'm only talking about the history aspect due to the whole extra credit gets money to talk history bit, right? I don't give a gnats piss about it's graphics, AI or buggs.
Oh sorry. I misunderstood then. Anyway, the forum talks about historical inaccuracy. I care very much about AI and performance issues, however, so I'm not buying it until they fix all that stuff, not for $60 bucks anyway. Edited by StellarRat

Have played TW since the first Rome, and still love that game with the massive Europa Barbarorum mod, which to me was everything a history nerd could want.

Shogun II is a really solid game, especially with DarthMod. Sure, the guy is an idiot, but his mod pack makes the game a bit better. Perhaps the best TW so far, despite the limited setting. That blood and gore DLC is fun as hell too.

Was totally stoked about Rome II, pre-ordered it, played it for few hours and haven't touched it since. It was just so broken and flawed that I decided to wait for patches and mods. Let's see how it looks next year. Will probably have to live with the terrible UI though.