Xenonauts.com hacked (seriously)

Just a warning to everyone (especially Chris!) that the Xenonauts.com website appears to have been hacked by someone calling themselves azm.exe and now has some arabic voice recording and stuff about Islam (yes really - not joking).

Hopefully it's not trying to push out any malware at the same time, especially as of course xenonauts.com is whitelisted in my script blocker, but you may want to avoid even checking it out, just in case.

...Yeah, that looks pretty serious. Skimmed the page's source, and at least it looks malware-free. So it's just pro-Muslim propaganda.

(Note: I'm not saying everything pro-Muslim is propaganda. But this is both pro-Muslim, and propaganda.)

They uploaded their image files to Tinypic, and a polite request for information might yield uploader name in case Chris wanted to press charges. (Don't assume that Muslim = Middle Eastern, folks!)

I like what they have to say - spreading understanding about what words like "islam" and "muslim" really mean. any cultural understanding gained, however, is immediately ignored considering how they HACKED A WEBSITE to say it. I think we have a slogan for them: "azm.exe: Proving Muslims are reasonable people by punching you in the face until you agree." AZM.EXE, you are not helping to fix the religious stereotype problem!

Yeah, angrily and aggressively asserting that Islam is the religion of peace may not be the best way to get their point across. I'm sure Christ can contact his hosting provider and get it restored--they should be able to tell him what the vulnerability was too.

I'm going to assume that you meant to say Chris with that, but that typo is a little funny considering the circumstances. In all seriousness, though, I hope the issue can be resolved soon.

The question is: "why Xenonauts?" Seriously, that makes about as much sense as a hamster with fish scales.

People blamed Anon for the PSN thing when it made no sense so why should hacker groups too high to think coherently about the geopolitical situation in their area (which can be generously called a powder keg) need to think if a independent gaming developer's site is really the best place to post their infantile messages ? ( I am really curious to see if any of the Xeno fans are hackers themselves, if so we might see a exchange of cyber bullets soon )

In my experiences many issues like these are the result of configuration changes that were bolloxed. Changing directory rights during an update for one. Noted another thread where a forum poster was "encouraging" an update to the Xeno site, perhaps those changes were made but a configuration hole left. Then it just takes an automated scanner picking up on the vulnerability and poof - Xeno-Jihad.

In my experiences many issues like these are the result of configuration changes that were bolloxed. Changing directory rights during an update for one. Noted another thread where a forum poster was "encouraging" an update to the Xeno site, perhaps those changes were made but a configuration hole left. Then it just takes an automated scanner picking up on the vulnerability and poof - Xeno-Jihad.

Now that's a mod some would kill for xD ( though only if it's a TC :P ).

I've restored it, though it took a while to be noticed.

There's been a fair bit of site defacement going on lately. A couple of weeks ago the forums were very briefly hacked, but after that was dealt with, security holes remained in the fairly outdated Wordpress that's responsible for www.xenonauts.com. No harm done - simple defacement with no malware or such things.

In the future, also feel free to message me directly if something like that happens, as that would usually cause a fast response.