"[V19 stable - Geoscape] Running windowed mode forces full screen

When trying to run game on Windowed mode, it switches to full screen. I tried to run game windowed on all available resolutions and results:

1024x768: (game starts) Windowed

1280x720: Full screen

1280x768: Windowed

1280x800: Full screen

1360*768: Full screen

1366*768: Full screen

+all other resolutions: Full screen

Equipment to follow, this is clearly graphics related issue. This is strange behaviour, all other games will run windowed even when window size exceeds desktop resolution.

Radeon 5700 series, driver version Catalyst 13.9 (latest), same bug with Catalyst 13.1, DirectX is up to date

CRT monitor, resolution 1280*1024, 32 bpp, 100 Hz refresh rate

Windows 7 64 bit

I also encounter same refresh rate override bug that is described #4 http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/7633-v19-Stable-Geoscape-Ground-Combat-Display-Issues-Application-Switching-Crash

The reason it starts in full screen is because your monitor isn't large enough for a window that large. If your monitor was larger than 1366x768 then you could window it just fine.

I know it's a known thing. Personally, I don't see why it would be an issue; why would you want a window larger than you could see? That may just be me, though.

The reason it starts in full screen is because your monitor isn't large enough for a window that large. If your monitor was larger than 1366x768 then you could window it just fine.

I know it's a known thing. Personally, I don't see why it would be an issue; why would you want a window larger than you could see? That may just be me, though.

Because by using a Window who's internal dimensions match your screen exactly (1920x1080 in my case) and a little script, you can force any windowed game into windowed borderless. But setting it windowed at 1920x1080 on a 1920x1080 forces it into full screen instead, so you're forced to either run in a smaller window to run windowed or in full screen.

It would be even better if we got a Windowed full screen option in the game, but at least don't prevent us from running in windowed full screen through other means.

Because by using a Window who's internal dimensions match your screen exactly (1920x1080 in my case) and a little script, you can force any windowed game into windowed borderless. But setting it windowed at 1920x1080 on a 1920x1080 forces it into full screen instead, so you're forced to either run in a smaller window to run windowed or in full screen.

It would be even better if we got a Windowed full screen option in the game, but at least don't prevent us from running in windowed full screen through other means.

Exactly. This is quite serious bug but I hope it will be fixed on final release.

There are long-standing issues with the way the engine handles windowed mode. If you do a search you don't have to look too far to see those issues. I strongly suspect the engine blocks things it doesn't like, and this problem with windowed mode may be a mountain the developers can't climb.

There are long-standing issues with the way the engine handles windowed mode. If you do a search you don't have to look too far to see those issues. I strongly suspect the engine blocks things it doesn't like, and this problem with windowed mode may be a mountain the developers can't climb.

I did search but used just search box, not advanced search with default preferences. Funny those give different results.

At least acceptably orking windowed mode has been basic requirement for PC games years. I don't think there is any point to sell this game retail if windowed mode is not working at least acceptable level. For me, that means getting little bigger font size on geoscape and menus.

That shouldn't be too hard? With bigger text, windowed mode is playable.

Edit: That font size issue seems to be discussed many times before. Hope they can get it sorted out.

Edit 2: v20 seems to resolve font issue. I think I can live with windowed mode problems but many others sure can't.

Edited by Ruthless Reuban

The game will run in windowed mode if the height or the width you selected is larger than your native resolution.

Screen resolution 1280*1024 and game resolution 1280*1024 should give windowed, right? It does not.

It seems that if vertical resolution is over 800, with 1280*1024 game forces full screen. Still that does not explain why 1280x720 gives full screen and 1280x768 Windowed...

I understand the issue you mean (it happens to me too on my laptop) and unfortunately I think we are going to be unable to fix it - we've looked at it in the past, and the code that controls that behaviour is buried in the game engine and not accessible to us; this wouldn't be such a huge issue, but the engine we are using has been abandoned by the developer (this happened while we were in development) and as such getting any fixes for stuff like this is a non-starter.

I understand the issue you mean (it happens to me too on my laptop) and unfortunately I think we are going to be unable to fix it - we've looked at it in the past, and the code that controls that behaviour is buried in the game engine and not accessible to us; this wouldn't be such a huge issue, but the engine we are using has been abandoned by the developer (this happened while we were in development) and as such getting any fixes for stuff like this is a non-starter.

Thanks for the info. I have no huge problem with that, some other people will complain a lot, that's for sure. As nothing can be done, you just have to accept some complaints :)

Now waiting for v20 to get bigger font size to see if this is problem at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I have similar problem with screen resolution and font size. I have V19 build running on Windows 2003 R2/Celeron G530/HD2000 internal video (1028x1024 desktop), all with latest driver/system/directX updates. The only resolution available at the start of the game is 1024x1280 (!). In a fact the game starts at 1024x768 whether windowed or fullscreen mode and fonts is very difficult to read because they are small and highly blurred.