This project is dead?

http://www.xenonauts.com/ front page.

I’ve been waiting a long time for an X-COM remake that actually feels anything like X-COM. It is not in my nature to believe that dreams can come true.

Link goes to Rock, Paper, Shotgun site, article dated October 1st, 2011.

News section

Steam Early Access Launch

May 31, 2013

May? It's september now!

Maybe developers do not want anyone to buy this game because whole project seems as dead as X-com project after all countries have signed secret pacts with aliens.

We have have lot to do blah blah, people can always find updates and news from forums blah blah, piracy is ruining game industry blah blah...

I don't know if developers really want this project to be very small and don't want any more funding for this game. If not, at least some news updates would really help to get customers and attention. With so many game projects really dead, many people don't bother to check forums on anywhere else is news section is so outdated. It would be shame if this project collapses just because developers don't have 2 minutes per month to update news section.

You have been adviced.

I am actually in the process of updating the sites at the moment. See the Kickstarter update from yesterday if you don't believe me.

You're right that the site needs an update but there isn't any need to be rude about it - you could have just posted something reminding us that our site was out of date and it would have had exactly the same effect.

If you look on the forums (which you clearly did) you'd realize that this game is getting constantly updated. Just saying. Thay put all the small, non major updates on the forums. They have about one update a week.

Of course but think about those people who don't bother to check forums. "This game is abandoned, next game". There are many people who do like that. Competition is hard.

I am actually in the process of updating the sites at the moment. See the Kickstarter update from yesterday if you don't believe me.

You're right that the site needs an update but there isn't any need to be rude about it - you could have just posted something reminding us that our site was out of date and it would have had exactly the same effect.

Of course I believe, I have followed game development for long time. However many people are not like me.

For not updating news section for 3,5 months, you really deserve some a** kicking :)

To give you an idea, I try to degrade myself to be a person who just heard name Xenonauts.

Xenonauts, a game? Google Xenonauts

First result http://www.xenonauts.com/

Looks good, link draws attention http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/01/xenonauts-preview/

Wtf, 2011? (many people stop here)

Well, there are news. Last updated may 2013, shit! (even more people stop here)

Second result Wikipedia. In development since 2009, blah. Kickstarter 2012, blah. 2013 cannot be found anywhere.

Third result Steam. Early access 2013 may (Steam users will NOT be convinced by that)

Fourth result, Kickstarter. On that page I cannot see 203 anywhere. Most people do not bother to click updates section.

What I'm saying is that you are giving very bad first impression. And if people get bad first impression, they go and don't come back.

I see you updated news page, excellent!

Now if there is something you can do to either Wikipedia, Steam or Kickstarter page (to give hint this game actually is on development and not just another abandoned Kickstarter project, therea are many, you got the point), your will have more fanbase.

I hope this game will be true successor to X-Com.

Fair enough, you make good points. I'll probably do a wider update that includes Wikipedia, the other sites were already planned for an update today (except Kickstarter where it's not possible to update a completed project).

Thanks for pointing it out, your first post just read in a slightly aggressive way that you probably didn't intend judging by your second response.

Fair enough, you make good points. I'll probably do a wider update that includes Wikipedia, the other sites were already planned for an update today (except Kickstarter where it's not possible to update a completed project).

Perfect! This project is too good to go waste. I didn't know that kickstarter has so rude update policy.

Thanks for pointing it out, your first post just read in a slightly aggressive way that you probably didn't intend judging by your second response.

If it had been a month or so, I probably would just point out that news page should be updated. But 3,5 months, I thought this project marketing really needed some wake up. And it got.

You just earned yourself a customer :) This thread can be closed.

Edited by Ruthless Reuban
Spelling errors

What I tried to tell is that news section, Wikipedia and Steam gave First Impression that game development is dead. Do not underestimate power of first impression.

And those got updated right after I pointed it out, everything is now OK. Not updating news section for 3,5 months deserved something harder that really wakes up. Not just "you should update news section btw" etc. I don't think we have to wait next news update for months.

This thread has already served it's purpose. Nothing to see here.

For the forum goers, it is easier. It's just harder for the general public to see the updates.

Right. This was the point. While hardcore fans always know where to find development updates, there are many who don't bother to see if forums have them. These people may be lazy, stupid etc but they also buy games and bring money to this project.

Edited by Ruthless Reuban
Send button too early