Thoughts on DLC policy

a333

Which one did this? Closest thing I can think of is Civ V and the Gods and Kings and Brave New World DLCs, and those added tons of content.

Those were not dlc´s but expansions. They added extra civ´s and scenarios as dlc, which could -and should have been included in the expansions imo.

An expansion is DLC. Sometimes they sell it in the form of a bundle or give it a different name for marketing purposes, but it's functionally the same thing. Honestly, "Expansions are fine, but DLC is not"--even when the DLC amounts to a smaller and cheaper expansion--doesn't make a lot of sense.

As for not wanting to pay for civ's and scenarios--then don't. There's plenty of those in mods. The way I see it, if Firaxis makes a new map or whatever Civ V, they have a right to charge for that content. Or you can build your own or wait for another amateur to do it. "But those are lower quality!" That's why they're free.

DLC by definition is something you can download (presumably from devs and very often for money). Expansion is something that expanding the original.

The difference between these two is mostly cultural and related to the epoch. Expansions were bigger (because of nature of their medium - cd), thus they were generally well polished. AFAIK no one there would start a CD production for mere bunch of maps and weapons.

DLC is smaller, even to the point of single vanity item. This economical model is more viable now than bulky and long in production expansions.

Sadly, it's very easy to put the economical meaning of DLC in front of the production quality. That's the case of the absurdish "DLC in the day of release", "Disk-Locked Content", so called "Game of Hats" and other monstrosities i'm ashamed to talk of in such couth place. That was the point of the video, to show how the large part of publishing companies are positioning themselves with any thing they can suck money from, particularly DLC.

Which one did this? Closest thing I can think of is Civ V and the Gods and Kings and Brave New World DLCs, and those added tons of content.
All of Sim City 5?? LOL. Actually, the cities are so small it's a joke compared to the old game. Now they want people to buy DLC so they can build bigger cities. That's a rip off.

Ok? Is this a question how people feel about dlc in general or if xenonauts should get dlc after release.

If it's the second one it sounds to me that the engine used for xenonauts is just so shitty that a lot of stuff is not possible with it, so i don't see any cool dlcs coming to it.

If it's in general:

I love the general idea behind dlc, because it's a great idea. You finished a game, but want to keep improving it. So you improve it with new content and new features and if people want those features and content they can buy it.

The Problem is just that this idea is being transformed by greed into a monstrosity with Day - 1 - Dlc and a Price to Content Value that is just rediculous. Coupled with the fact that the Developers are too stubborn to make them abide by normal market rules (i.e. reduce them in price after time) Dlc as it is now just SUCKS.

Ok? Is this a question how people feel about dlc in general or if xenonauts should get dlc after release.

If it's the second one it sounds to me that the engine used for xenonauts is just so shitty that a lot of stuff is not possible with it, so i don't see any cool dlcs coming to it.

If it's in general:

I love the general idea behind dlc, because it's a great idea. You finished a game, but want to keep improving it. So you improve it with new content and new features and if people want those features and content they can buy it.

The Problem is just that this idea is being transformed by greed into a monstrosity with Day - 1 - Dlc and a Price to Content Value that is just rediculous. Coupled with the fact that the Developers are too stubborn to make them abide by normal market rules (i.e. reduce them in price after time) Dlc as it is now just SUCKS.

I wouldn't mind DLC because to me Xenonauts "feels" complete in it's present condition. But, honestly, I'd much prefer a rewrite/upgrade of the graphics engine while added some new features, etc... that weren't possible due to the old one. I know one company that has done this, Battlefront. They released Combat Mission Battle for Normandy with one graphics engine, then a couple years later released an upgrade for the engine along with long requested UI features, upgraded game mechanics, and improvements to some of the AI and weapons routines. So, it was essentially the same game, but better under the hood, so to speak.

DLC by definition is something you can download (presumably from devs and very often for money). Expansion is something that expanding the original.

Your definition needs a lot of work--though I agree with the statement that DLC is smaller. That's the only meaningful difference. I downloaded the entirety of Civ V (staying with that example). I also downloaded Gods and Kings. If I ever get Brave New World I'm sure I'll be downloading that as well. On the other hand, The Conquerors expansion to Age of Empires II would basically get called DLC according to what some people are saying here: it added maps, new factions, and units, and made some UI and AI improvements. But they called it an expansion and put it on a disc and charged $15 instead of $5, so people say that is fine but DLC that does the same thing is not. Rubbish.

Your definition needs a lot of work

My definition comes straight from the name - downloadable content is something you download (and it's just a content), while expansion is something expanding the game.

Presumably, one can say that new game mechanics is an expansion, while selling the maps is a dlc, but no. Any publisher can pack up some AI patches and bugfixes, add lame maps and call it a full expansion, and charge for it whatever he wants. And people, some people may eat it, because it's served under "expansion" sauce. Marketing tricks.

I'd never say it's fine. You should get what you've paid for.

Sadly it's very tempting to sell you something that only looks like the thing you've paid for.

• 1 month later...