Laser Pistol

Ishantil

So...based the fact that a laser pistol doesn't fire more powerful shots than a rifle, and uses the same battery...shouldn't it have more shots than a rifle?

Even if you consider it to be extremely inefficient, I'm thinking it should have 10 shots.

<Weapon name="weapon.laserpistol" bulletType="normal" emptySound="Empty Click 1">	<props range="10" hands="1" recoil="0" weight="2" isHeavy="0" clipSize="6" reloadAPCost="20" reloadSound="Weapon Laser Pistol Reload" reactionModifier="2" hpLimit="60"/>	<SingleShot sound="Weapon Laser Pistol Single" delay="1" suppressionValue="10" suppressionRadius="3">		<Set1 ap="10" accuracy="40" />		<Set2 ap="20" accuracy="90" />	</SingleShot>	<GUIImage name="gui/weapons/LaserPistol.png"/>	<GroundImage name="grounditemimages/pistol.png"/>	<Ammos>		<Ammo name="ammo.laser.lasercell" type="energy" damage="30" mitigation="0">			<Projectile spectre="projectiles/laser/laser" speed="2000"/>			<Impact spectre="particles/laserexplode/laserexplode"/>		</Ammo>	</Ammos></Weapon>

If you take the basis for the argument as being 9 shots for the laser rifle, most of weapons work if you raise the laser pistol to 10. The only one that doesn't fit is the scatter laser.

I actually imagine the scatter laser using two clips, but I don't know if the game will do that.

What would actually work better in this game is a "heavy battery" for the two heavier weapons, being two of the standard batteries in series.

Edited by Ishantil

That actually makes the ammo-carrying situation for a machine gun worse, since I couldn't fill nooks or crannies with them if I decide to carry a few grenades or other equipment.

Math it out. 3 bursts per 1x1 magazine. a 2x2 magazine with 5 bursts. 3 bursts X 4 magazines in the same space- 12 bursts currently, versus 5 in your proposal in the same inventory space. It'd basically be a nerf.

Yeah, with the Plasmacaster you get three shots, then need to spend more ap than taking a burst shot costs to reload. It wouldn't be so bad if the loading cost wasn't so high. Keep in mind currently the weapon images so the given cell in the weapon, so changing the cell image wouldn't fit the visuals anymore.

Does anyone else get the plasmacaster reaction-firing on every available opportunity when out of ammunition?

First of all, I'm not sure exactly how you could explain that. Slapping fresh batteries into the scatter laser should recharge it completely, not partially.

I suppose you could make the argument that it has a hyper-capacitor in it to start with and a battery. But...no. It would be better to actually balance the battery size against the number of shots.

I'll have to look at the numbers again. I've thought of a way to actually figure out the "power level" and balance it appropriately.

First of all, I'm not sure exactly how you could explain that. Slapping fresh batteries into the scatter laser should recharge it completely, not partially.
I guess the real question is does the weapon have an onboard battery that needs to be "recharged" or is it powered directly off the magazine/battery. I could see it either way OR even a weapon that hold/requires multiple magazines for a full reload. Personally, I think the powered directly off the battery/magazine thing is the most likely. The other arrangements would all be less desireable in combat and would probably raise the weight and complexity of the weapon. Edited by StellarRat