Are there other strategies besides this one?

Shoggoth

I've found that what works best for me is to go with two bases, one as a "real" base, the other as just an interceptor base, built in the second month, with nothing else going on really. I keep 5-6 planes in each and I usually have only one foxtrot in each base until it is replaced with Marauder. I'm able to shoot down most of the UFOs this way.

Doing this is the only way I've been able to ever get far enough to research everything AND unlock the final mission before the UFO waves and country unhappiness gets out of hand.

Are people making it work with just one base? Are you guys doing well enough to sustain three bases? I haven't had much luck with any other strategy.

Sure. I dual base too, but I actually do other stuff with it. 5 interceptors in each but I use my first base as a workshop and my second as a lab. I do sites out of both too, so I don't have to use complete rookies when I upgrade my main dropship, at which point I start using vehicles as well, since training new guys takes so long.

If I do very well I'll set my third as an interceptor base.

I start my second base off with just interceptors, but soon after I add a chinook and it ends up being a fully functional mop up base for all the UFO's in the Americas. I just add my workshops and labs to my first base, it has plenty of room. I've built a third base before mainly just to try and detect/shoot down UFO's in Australasia, but haven't gotten too far in the game due to updates interrupting my save files.

I'm sure the game is winnable with only one base, I just like multiples so I get the radar range and as many crashsites as possible. But the devs are balancing around not doing every crashsite, so... yeah, shouldn't be that big a deal as long as you get the guys you see. I could be terribly wrong though, as I've never done one base before, might be interesting to try...

I can't comment on whether I can beat the game with my strategy (I've only gotten to seeing Strike Cruisers flit about before updates destroyed the save), but it's sutainable to that point to have 3 bases if I'm very careful. I do the same thing as Tobbzn, where my second base in Cancun is a focused Laboratory and functional sortie base (though it gets the cast-offs and hand-me-downs of equipment and personnel... much like Xenonauts!)and Base 3 is in the Phillipines to cover most of Australasia and Indochina. Base 3 is interceptor only.

Unfortunately, if you try to cover both Americas by basing in Central America you're detecting over huge bodies of water. A vast majority of the time I end up shooting UFOs down over the ocean just to prevent them from completing their mission with no intention to salvage the wreck. Where do you guys place your bases in the western hemisphere? (if that's not considered too far off-topic)

Base 1. Africa

Base 2. Central America - Intercept base

Base 3. Phillipines - Intercept Base

Base 4. East Africa - Intercept Base

Base 5. North east Russia - Intercept base

I'm doing ok :). I have most of the globe covered and have 2 Drop ships running nearly non stop doing 2-3 missions a go. Also have 3 Condors and 3 Foxtrots in each intercept base.

Whoa Nino! That's what I was wondering. I just started a new game, and I'm having hard time not going broke with only three bases (2 just interceptor bases), good to see that it is possible to do more. I must be managing my money poorly, because I'm definitely knocking most of the UFOs out of the sky.

I'm going to try and be super careful and see if I can get that much coverage

I haven't got to late game for ages, but I generally have the three bases for the coverage and go to all the missions to get the money to run them.

Once the three bases are up, I invest back into research and getting a second Chinook squad up. Partly because the first one is overworked and partly to get some squad rotation going.

In my current game I have 3 bases and they are all right next to each other in Egypt. I have 7 Interceptors currently and sometimes could do with extra if I want to have enough to be able to shoot down things as soon as they pop up without having to wait on things getting back and refueling etc.

Starter Base = Research Labs and Drop Ship(s)

Second Base = Workshops with hangars for storing/building aircraft

Third Base = Interception base with 12 hangars

Any additional bases will be the same as the third. Each base also has troops/vehicles for defense. I currently have enough cash to throw up another base the same as the third but I decided to keep the money and invest it into my drop ship and soldiers to get them new weapons/armor. I've not had interceptors pop up yet but if the condors struggle with them I might need to upgrade them to marauders which will eat up all my cash. I'm currently paying about 1.5m in upkeep with 2.1m from funding. The biggest difference so far has been the increased number of aliens in missions. Before hand getting money was much more difficult, it's still not 'easy' but it's easier than it was previously for sure.

How do you shoot down landing ships? I have absolutely no chance against them...

Three Foxtrots with alenium missiles beat a landing ship. As does three condors (one kites/runs away while being chased) and the other two circle behind and kill it. Here's a video that shows some basic air tactics.

[video=youtube_share;kbX77G9x2_c]

Back on topic, it's nice to see people being successful with a variety of strats. I normally go for a strong two base play (both with interceptors/assault teams, one focused on manufacturing and one on research), with maybe adding a 3rd around January.