Large Alien Bases

Gopa5

I have made it farther in my current game then ever before. Money has become tight, with income barely outpacing expenditures; however those dang large alien bases are popping up like freaking mushrooms. North America alone has five of them. Any advice here? My central American base is just being inundated by a constant stream of alien ships, I have lost air supremacy.

Yeah, the amount of bases you get is pretty high. I don't know if this is intended, but it sure is annoying. What I did to "deal" with them is just rush them down and go straight for the reactor. Place people all over the hangars to cover the exit and send 1 or 2 units through the vents with C4 and grenades to destroy the reactor.

Aside from that, I don't know.

Are large bases the only opportunity to capture this games version of the Ethereal? Because if that's so that really is grating, I would rather sweep and clear Battleships and Carriers than bases, side note, is there any ships larger than those two?

Are large bases the only opportunity to capture this games version of the Ethereal? Because if that's so that really is grating, I would rather sweep and clear Battleships and Carriers than bases, side note, is there any ships larger than those two?

Battleships do have one Preator on board, which I also prefer to deal with instead of large bases. As far as the large bases are concerned I just head for the reactor, then leave. Otherwise my cautious approach would turn it into a 2-hour + mission.

No, you're not losing it yet.:) Personally I'm glad there isn't more than one reactor... the large bases always have between 30-40 aliens in them. Well armed I might add.:P
My last gaming session involved trying to take out a large base and ended in total disaster. I'm going to have to reload and try again, perhaps several times. I'm not 100% if it's actually possible to win this battle.

Wow. I usually feel pretty hard pressed with a small base. I normally carry six laser clips per guy (and as many Alenium rockets as I can fit on the whole team).

I imagine cleaning out something twice that big would be pretty challenging. God, remember the bases in TFTD? Trying to find where the Lobsterman Commander was before the Tentaculats ate all your guys?

Wow. I usually feel pretty hard pressed with a small base. I normally carry six laser clips per guy (and as many Alenium rockets as I can fit on the whole team).

I imagine cleaning out something twice that big would be pretty challenging. God, remember the bases in TFTD? Trying to find where the Lobsterman Commander was before the Tentaculats ate all your guys?

OK, you know how the first big room in the small base has around six bad guys in it? Well, the first room in a large base has six, then the next room which is nearly the same size has another 20 bad guys and more tickle in as the battle continues. I even drove a Hunter with laser cannon in there and ran out of ammo and there's still 10 or so left and my soldiers are all dead. Oh, and a lot of them have plasma shotguns...

OK, you know how the first big room in the small base has around six bad guys in it? Well, the first room in a large base has six, then the next room which is nearly the same size has another 20 bad guys and more tickle in as the battle continues. I even drove a Hunter with laser cannon in there and ran out of ammo and there's still 10 or so left and my soldiers are all dead. Oh, and a lot of them have plasma shotguns...

This is why I don't even bother trying to clear out medium or large bases. Too many soldiers get killed in there. The small bases aren't too bad because once you've dealt with the first room, where the bulk of the aliens seem to be, it goes fine. My method of choice has become using a hunter with the laser like you mentioned. Then using the soldiers to mop up.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to fix the "freezing" that happens after the deployment in a large Base. I have like 6 bases and each one i go too i can't do anything. The Game freezes on my round is it do to The dread that Prats put out that cause the game to go on the fritz?

Anyone have any recommendations on how to fix the "freezing" that happens after the deployment in a large Base. I have like 6 bases and each one i go too i can't do anything. The Game freezes on my round is it do to The dread that Prats put out that cause the game to go on the fritz?

I've had this happen on a few occasions too. When you first see the deployment screen the game does a "Autosave" for you. Usually when I reload the game it'll work.

Normally I bring eight dudes. I haven't had any bases besides the one small one, so far. I'm starting to send out air patrols, though, now.
Eight works in the small base. In the large base unless you've got plasma weapons and something better than Wolf I'd recommend a vehicle with a BIG weapon and the best six you've got. OR skip it until you are better equipped. My guys had lasers and Wolf and it still wasn't enough even with a Hunter w/Pulse Laser. Also, since aliens don't target the vehicle you'd think it would be easy, right? NEGATIVE!

For small bases I usually equip everyone with 3-4 alium-plasma grenades and bring 3 rocker launcher guys and make sure everyone has riot shields. Set up just inside the first door run one guy up open up the next door and have all three 'launcher guys obliterate the first obstacle with dudes behind it. Wait a turn move up everyone to inside second door and lob grenades. Then its usually as easy as mop up operation. Can usually do a small base with all soldiers no casualties.

However medium and I dare say large bases...they are chewing through my experienced units. I even have my squad equipped with full Predator and the flying version of the Predator armor, Gatling lasers for the walking tanks and plasma rifles/sniper plasmas for the flying suits. Those freaking plasma shotguns are miserable. The text for the Tank armor says capable of withstanding a direct tactical nuke, yet the shotgun plasma shreds them like tissue paper. Lots of savescumming inbound I guess for those large bases. Sad part, since none of the bases have been fully initialized they are not even worth it. :rolleyes:

I've had this happen on a few occasions too. When you first see the deployment screen the game does a "Autosave" for you. Usually when I reload the game it'll work.

Worked like a charm although it bugged out the Prats ability to dread my whole crew. Not sure why its doing this.