Well, that got out of hand...

CheftonUTD

Not sure if there's a section for this sort of thing so I guess I can put it here.

Just had a terror mission turn into absolute chaos, and somehow 'won'.

The entire battle took place within grenade range of my dropship, I was attacked by a swarm of lizard guys and reapers. With little cover and most of my soldiers in the ship I deployed as much smoke as possible for some concealment. Within a few turns half of my squad was dead along with quite a few enemies, at this point I started using C4 as grenades to destroy enemy groups. I also took down a few more in the smoke with stun batons before losing two more men, with only two left (armed with pistols) I figured I'd grab some nearby alien rifles and go out in a suicide run.

Killed the last six enemies and won the battle somehow haha.

Anyway that's pretty much it, never saw a battle become so chaotic before, the whole area around the dropship was scorched earth and flames by the end of it.

Anyone else have any stories of missions like that, or tips for fighting your way out when you're completely surrounded and outnumbered?

Great story.

I defeated a terror mission where the first turn lost me two soldiers, straight out the door. Very OG. It would have been more but I was too scared to leave the Chinook. Next round lost me another one (trying the same tactic), but I got 2 guys up to nearest wall (all of 6 feet away)

Another two were a bit stranded, having tried shooting their way out, half a dozen tiles from the Chinook. My RL guy hugged the chinook after firing (and missing) in the previous round.

RL guy discovers that's there's room between the Chinook and the side of the map for a Reaper. Both of my two stranded guys get lots of wounds but are still standing, in their Cassidy and Sundance Kid re-enactment. One of the guys by the wall makes a futile attempt to reach the news stand. My first experience of a plasma caster there. He's just a smear.

What saved me here, was that the aliens weren't anywhere near as aggressive as with the OP. I'm fairly certain there weren't as many either. The Reaper was happy to stand around, while the others decided on killing the locals, as they were more of a threat (something I hadn't disproved in the first few turns).

I recall ditching the Rocket Launcher for something I could use more than once every other turn, losing another soldier to the plasma caster and being very, very grateful there's weren't hordes of aliens on the map. I think I had one soldier bleed to death as there just wasn't anyone nearby who could help, with so few survivors. But they recovered post mission :)

It's the horrid feeling of dread that all the aliens were right outside I remember most and that this was just a mission I would never win.

-thothkins would like to dedicate this post to the many, many fallen Xenonauts who have died trying to get through that !*$! picnic area in the terror map.

That should be a level in one of the Earth Defence Force games. "In order for the EDF annual picnic to go ahead, we need you to clear this park of giant ants, giant spiders, giant wasps, Hectors (giant robots), the giant ufos that spew giant ants, spiders and wasps, as well as anything else that shows up..."

On the other hand, that merely evokes a sense of familiarity for me...

My own personal bad part? After dealing with the initial wave, and using almost all my ammo in the process, I then had to storm the damn landing craft whose crash was the mission... Ended up arming everyone I had left with heavy plasmas (there were plenty to go around) and advancing a gunline the width of the ufos entrance inside under smoke cover.

Save Scummed the heck outta that mission and it still ripped me a new one.

Is that a Reaper I see stunned on the Chinook?

Yeah it is, I smoked the door where my shield-bearer is and brought her back inside, managed to melee a few more in that area after that.

Tried scumming from an earlier save but couldn't win the battle again so I'm playing on with only 3 Majors and about a dozen pvt/cpl's from here. Only just started building my second base a few days before this happened too, got decent air-cover but my infantry is pretty weak now.

I had an ugly battle go down in that same area. Before that battle, I did one terror mission on that map with Sebillians and Reapers. All of the lizards hid behind the wall the entire time. Was a bit boring and I remember thinking it'd be nice if they got aggressive. Wish granted.

So on the last mission, I'm expanding outward towards the picnic area, bus and gas station expecting the same thing. One Sebillian and Reaper down. Coast is clear so I hit end turn. 5 Reapers, about 10ish Sebillians, 2 light drones and one of the bigger ones show up. I couldn't retreat back to the shuttle fast enough. 2 soldiers go down immediately and a few others should have too without some dumb luck and a little smoke. Reapers run all the way up to me but don't actually kill the soldiers. I get the other 6 on the shuttle with everyone hurting.

At that point, a few Sebillians are feeling pretty good and strut towards the middle and I am able to pick them off. The turning point finally was destroying the larger drone. The explosion took out a light drone and a 2 Sebillians. It was ugly, fun, but also made me regret slightly wishing they'd be a lot more aggressive.

I've found, that on that terror site your best bet is popping smoke and plodding around the back of the building across street from you and then heading towards the bank. Then, once you're at the bank, get a few men up onto the second floor and use your superior LOS to pepper aliens hiding in the park until you win. This strategy only works against Sebs though, Androns will charge you and since they can't be suppressed or die easily lots of Xenonauts are going to get pretty dead.