Modding balance changes - attempt 1

TrashMan

Air Combat: I just did an air battle with an Alien Corvette with two Condors and a Foxtrot. Four Alenium Torpedoes made it trivial. I think it's probably too good. Perhaps having more torpedoes should be balanced by reducing the damage some?

Edited by Ishantil

TrashMan: I just did an air battle with an Alien Corvette with two Condors and a Foxtrot. Four Alenium Torpedoes made it trivial. I think it's probably too good. Perhaps having more torpedoes should be balanced by reducing the damage some?

What was the missile cycle time?

I think I should increase it so it takes a lot more time to ready the next missile. That, or I could reduce damage.

Edited by TrashMan

Ballistic Weapons: I took at look at your numbers, and the AA-12 is better than the laser carbine is basically every way. While I agree that the AA-12 is a fantastic weapon, its current configuration probably needs to be adjusted. In game context, it should add burst fire mode and a larger, heavy magazine.

So I think that the shotgun line should do more damage, here's what I came up with:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Weapon (Original)[/TD]

[TD]Shots[/TD]

[TD]Damage[/TD]

[TD]Total Damage[/TD]

[TD]Mitigation[/TD]

[TD]Ratio (v. orig)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Shotgun[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]20[/TD]

[TD]60[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Laser Carbine[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]30[/TD]

[TD]90[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Plasma Carbine[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]45[/TD]

[TD]135[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]MAG Carbine[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]70[/TD]

[TD]210[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Alien Heavy Plasma (Shotgun)[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]35[/TD]

[TD]105[/TD]

[TD]50[/TD]

[TD]1.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Weapon (Modified)[/TD]

[TD]Shots[/TD]

[TD]Damage[/TD]

[TD]Total Damage[/TD]

[TD]Mitigation[/TD]

[TD]Ratio (v. orig)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Shotgun[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]15[/TD]

[TD]75[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Laser Carbine[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]23[/TD]

[TD]115[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1.28[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Plasma Carbine[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]33[/TD]

[TD]165[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1.22[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]MAG Carbine[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]53[/TD]

[TD]265[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1.26[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]AA-12 (versus standard shotgun)[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]15[/TD]

[TD]75[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1.25[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Alien Heavy Plasma (Shotgun)[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]26[/TD]

[TD]130[/TD]

[TD]25[/TD]

[TD]1.24[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

The Alien Heavy Plasma (Shotgun) is added in for reference. I think it's too good, but the Alien weapons should be modified the same way ours are to maintain balance.

Changing the cycling time really doesn't mean much unless it's extreme, because that only slows the ability to deliver weapons on target, rather than the ability to bring the weapons to the battle.

Crazy idea: In order to control the Marauder versus Foxtrot argument better, perhaps we should make "medium" missiles? That way, the Foxtrot can carry medium torps and the Marauder can carry the heavy torpedoes?

Programatically, can you restrict weapon types? Or is it simply "has hard point heavy" and "has hardpoint light"?

I didn't give laser weapons a pass yet. There's still balancing to be done.

Expect ballistic shotguns to have an accuracy reduction. And I WANT it to eventualyl be better htan a laser shotgun. Laser shotgun sounds silly anyway, and I prefer to NOT have linear balance - in that tier 2 weapons are better in all ways and all roles than tier 1's.

Perhaps the two energy weapons carbines should be changed to "sub machine guns" in your mod, where they are lower accuracy but faster to shoot versions of the rifles? And the MAG carbine is the next generation shotgun?

I like the idea of the advanced weaponry introducing new ballistic weapons. Instead of introducing a new shotgun, perhaps a new type

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Tier[/TD]

[TD]Shotgun Ammo[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Ballistic[/TD]

[TD]buckshot[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Laser[/TD]

[TD]flechettes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Plasma[/TD]

[TD]explosive flechettes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]MAG[/TD]

[TD]hypervelosity [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

EDIT: I am about to try a base mission with the numbers noted above (I have laser weapons)

Edited by Ishantil

[twitch]

Oh wow, the idea of a hypervelocity shotgun somehow just brought the sound of the microslug accelerator from one of the Aftersquit games to mind.

That sound was horrifying. Fucking terrifying weapon, I think the closest thing to an instant death gun I've ever encountered in any game.

Well, apaprenlty re-fire time does NOTHING to missiles.

Which sucks.

Guess I'll have to do some missile damage nerfing.

Regarding weapon balance. This is what I'm thinking ATM:

TIER1 ballistic:

very, very cheap TU (soldiers can fire more round - starting rookes should be able to do 2 burts), but reduced damage. Generally a bit less accurate, but also less TU cost for aiming. You're gonna be spending a lot of bullets.

TIER2 ballistic (can be researched after plasma rifle):

higher caliber weapons, modernized. Better armor migation all around and better stats all around. Slightly more accurate, maybe a bit costlier in TU's

LASERS: (???)

Very accurate, long rage. High TU costs, small magazines. High damage, but armor migation is not as impressive.

PULSE LASERS: (???)

Better TU costs, smaller damage and better armor migation. Slightly lower accuracy.

* lasers are a big ? because I dont' know if I?ll split htem into two. Eitehr way, if I do, there will be no laser shotgun. Rather a submachinegun.

PLASMA:

big, slow, inncurate, but deadly.

MAG:

King of the battlefield, makes a mockery of any armor, high damage, long range, accurate. But heavy with significant TU costs.

Well, I did up the price of all armors so you can break even.

I can probably up it more. The most profitable item now is ALLENIUM (OF COURSE!). Too much because of a typo, but I'm thinking 20.000-25.000 per piece.

I kinda figure the most rare and expensive super-energy element ought to be worth more than a soldiers monthly salary.

Currently it is redicolously cheap. 1000$ per unit? Don't make me laugh!

It's also a lot less, because gas is less dense than a crystal/mineral.

What do you mean? 1 gram of gas isn't less than 1 gram of liquid or solid because the latter is denser. Both still weighs 1 gram, right? And because the gas is less dense it also has a larger volume meaning spatially it takes up more space and it appears to be more of it quantity wise.

Given that it is hydrogen isotope it has more mol atoms per gram than other (heavier) substances too ... right? :P