Fire Tuning

Ishantil

So...I'm on a map with a lot of grass. Lots of flammable grass. Between my rocket and a few plasma weapons by the aliens, half the map is on fire now.

Courtesy of some monstrosity getting a rocket to the face

fire_zomg3.jpg

Not sure what caused this one

fire_zomg2.jpg

This came from a plasma cannon

fire_zomg1.jpg

My suggestions:

1. I think the burnout chance probably needs to be increased

2. The spread chance needs to be decreased

3. The amount of smoke should be increased slightly so it rings the fire tiles.

fire_zomg3.jpg

fire_zomg2.jpg

fire_zomg1.jpg

fire_zomg3.thumb.jpg.90688e51c3b025a495b

fire_zomg2.thumb.jpg.6ff1ff0d690f3eb314c

fire_zomg1.jpg.954135810093cffa1466b0ed5

So...I'm on a map with a lot of grass. Lots of flammable grass. Between my rocket and a few plasma weapons by the aliens, half the map is on fire now.

My suggestions:

1. I think the burnout chance probably needs to be increased

2. The spread chance needs to be decreased

3. The amount of smoke should be increased slightly so it rings the fire tiles.

A grass fire spreads really fast if the conditions are dry and windy, so I disagree with #2. If it's dry enough to burn it's probably going to keep burning and spreading not go out on it's own accord.

#1 - The grass that is already burning should go out in a minute or two. Grass burns really fast. I don't know that is in game scale.

#3 - The amount of smoke can be extremely variable. Depending on wind, how dry the grass is, what kind it is...etc, etc... But it should probably produce some true smoke tiles and some minor smoke at random.

The Incendiary: Tactica and Proper Oblations

Honored and hallowed be the Incendiary, most cleansing of the Imperium's weapons. Doled out by holy flamer, delivered by blessed shell, released from our pure skies. In all forms, in all ways, it is the Most Magnanimous Emperor's love that is on display here; to give opportunity long for the Enemy to confess his sins, to be burned free of their taint. How can one not marvel at a God Emperor so kind?

Application and Distribution of the Emperor's Love

Concerning when one desires to give the Infidel forgiveness at a range, one must review these tenets in deploying the Mercy of the Imperator. 1) Proper Prayers and Devotion; to ensure Proper Phosphorus and Detonation! 2) Launch a volley of the Emperor's High Explosive Wrath first; to open the sinful timbers and flammables of the Heathen (For maximum mercy, limit rounds to ensure only injury and immobility for those struck) 3) Send the Emperor's Mercy (Take care in setting the timer; you desire at minimum a seventy percent airburst for a correct Storm of Penance) 4) After fifteen minutes (Enough time for a confession), deploy shrapnel rounds to eliminate any who would attempt to halt the Emperor's Forgiveness with mere blasphemous water.

Depending on the Storm of Penance, your soldiers may have to wait anywhere from one to five bells to deploy and liberate the souls from their accursed shells.

-- Section of Kronus Archconfessor Militade's "The Emperor in the Munitions: A Veteran's Guide to Proper Faith in Artillery", currently subject to Ecclesiastical review.

I'm not sure if the game has any kind of timer for fire, but if not, it might need one. Stuff basically burns forever.
Chris - Burning forever is totally wrong. You need a timer on the burn time. It should go out quickly. I've seen lots of grass fires where I live. They spread fast, but move like a wave in direction of the wind. Everything behind the "burning" front goes out pretty fast. In windless condition it burns like an expanding donut from the center outwards. Forest fires are the same, but of course, hotter and longer burning. Edited by StellarRat

@Chris: If memory serves, I was seeing 5-6 new fire tiles per turn at times. It spread a lot more quickly than I thought it was going to. In fact, I found one of my guys engulfed one turn. I think the screen where it was a plasma cannon, I think it took 4-5 turns to go from a 4 or 5 fire tiles to the entire fireball.

I'm not sure if this is in scope, but nothing was burning but the grass, the wooden buildings didn't seem to burn, just the grass around it.

Edited by Ishantil

@Chris: If memory serves, I was seeing 5-6 new fire tiles per turn at times. It spread a lot more quickly than I thought it was going to. In fact, I found one of my guys engulfed one turn. I think the screen where it was a plasma cannon, I think it took 4-5 turns to go from a 4 or 5 fire tiles to the entire fireball.

I'm not sure if this is in scope, but nothing was burning but the grass, the wooden buildings didn't seem to burn, just the grass around it.

A grass fire can move faster than a person can run if the wind is strong. They can be very dangerous.