Civilian reaction fire against stunned aliens

I heroically ran in and saved a farmer from an alien by stunning the alien with a stun baton.

But for the next 5 turns the farmer kept shooting at the stunned alien (hit my soldier once too). Eventually the farmer killed the alien.

Now if that were a real farmer I might understand his reaction to having an alien, conscious or not, on his property, and his desire for revenge, but I'm not sure if it's an intended or desirable part of the game mechanics. Should (armed) civilians target stunned aliens?

I actually saw this happen very early on in my Xenonauts experience. I had stunned an alien by a barn with the baton, and a farmer that was for some reason kind of following one of my soldiers around runs up and executes the thing from like 3 paces with a shotgun.

"Damn, son. Friendly AI's hardcore."

I thought it was more amusing than anything.

Now if that were a real farmer I might understand his reaction to having an alien, conscious or not, on his property, and his desire for revenge, but I'm not sure if it's an intended or desirable part of the game mechanics. Should (armed) civilians target stunned aliens?

There's a lost build showing a group of farmers hanging the alien at the nearest tall tree, but it was considered a little OTT.

Besides, you have to understand the depth of the farmer's rage. His favourite cow had been abducted by these creatures. A cow he considered part of the family. Particularly after he married it :)