gas_gc question

lemm

I was wondering if it was possible to modify the chance by which reaction fire is triggered if a unit is moving behind a gas cloud. I see that the gasses have an accuracyReduction percentage and a blockLOS, but nothing to alter reaction fire, but maybe there is some modifier like this that I just don't know about?

I want to make a simple smoke grenade mod in which smoke grenades don't obstruct the LOS or accuracy by very much, but they greatly reduce the chance that reaction fire will be invoked. The idea is that you can't sit in a smoke cloud, but you can use it for cover to move across the open on your turn.

Checking back through earlier versions of gas_gc, it doesn't look like it. However, why not try cutting and pasting the weapons_gc reaction modifier, and see what happens? Caesans would be a good bet to test it on, as noncoms stand a very good chance of reaction firing, and they just lurve to sit and wait for your guys.

Hmm. Can anyone think if a way to make the smoke do what it currently does while somehow incentivizing NOT standing in the horrid, hot-ass chemical smoke?

Just a thought, but - with the OG in mind - you could set it to do some stun damage. Don't know how much of a dissincentive that would be, though - too much damage and its a stun grenade; too little and it quite possibly doesn't matter. It would also possibly cause damage every time you move into a smoke-filled square, which ironically makes standing in it better than moving quickly through it. It's an idea, anyway.

That's the thing; the "old" one (and particularly the OpenXcom revision) is stupidly robust and open-ended compared to Xenonauts; if you cant think it, you can probably program it. This one is just so situationally coded and built that it's difficult to simply just slot things around, or write up some strings so that it does checks or calls to something else without utterly breaking it.

On top of simply dancing around how things are set up, the incredibly artificial balance is such that it's difficult to implement something without it wrecking the actual gameplay; you can't make one thing behave in a way that sort of makes sense without it crapping on 15 other weapons or pieces of equipment, because it's so artificial.

Edited by EchoFourDelta

In the OG smoke did cause stun damage, but environmental stun was only inflicted at the end of turns. You could run through smoke fine, but stay in it and the little white bar begins to grow.

Aliens in xenonauts refuse to stay in stun gas if they have other options, I don't know if there's a threshold for it but if not, making smoke do minute amounts of stun would both be somewhat realistic and have the desired effect.