What triggers Alenium research?

Xintrosi

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I am curious because I took out 3 Corvettes before a Scout happened along my path. Once I raided the Scout, Alenium became available as a research option, but not from any of the Corvettes. Was I unlucky in components from the Corvette being too damaged to trigger the research? Or does only a Scout trigger Alenium research?

If the first, then I was unlucky in my collateral damage and that's fine (curse my overly effective aircraft!). If the second, then I was unlucky in my UFO spawns (which by itself is fine) but the research is oddly gated (which I don't like). Alenium is a very important research topic because it unlocks a lot of other stuff, and not being able to grab it from Corvettes really doesn't make much sense.

Once again, if there is an item on the Corvette that could trigger it and I destroyed it, then I have no complaint. But if Corvettes CANNOT trigger the research then I think that's silly. 30 Scientists sat there doing crap all nothing because the Corvette offered nothing for them to research.