How many soldiers do you lose each mission?

Xintrosi

How many Soldiers do you lose per mission (on average)?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How many Soldiers do you lose per mission (on average)?

• 0. If aliens attack, world leaders will recruit me like I'm the Last Starfighter.
    • 0-1. I Minimize casualties, but no one is perfect.
    • 2-3. Aliens always have interesting tricks to try on me.
    • 3-5. Into the Meatgrinder, my rookie minions!
    • 6+. Watch me stop that plasma bolt with my face!

I am not going to add enough poll options to cover every eventuality (later game difficulty increase, terror mission vs crash site) so please expound on your response!

I used to restart an Ironman file if I lost 2 soldiers. At all. I've only recently gotten over this perfectionism, so my Ironman file has only recently gotten to Plasma tech (usually skip lasers). I generally don't lose anyone in most missions, but if I do, it's usually some catastrophic mistake (misfired rocket, complacently misplaced smoke) that gets 1 person killed and another 1 or 2 severely wounded or killed.

What about you? Friendly fire from 90 degrees getting you down? Reaction fire rushing in the UFO front door turning your Colonel Sanders into chicken chow?

Frankly, the way I worded the question, nobody should be answering 6+ unless they are very new to the genre or extremely unlucky... considering that in order to average 6 losses per mission would require a near-total party wipe on the first mission. And every subsequent mission.

Unfortunately, I can't edit the poll options, so there are some that no one will ever click.

An enduring memory of a game of Apocalypse was a Mothership raid; having reached the upper (bridge?) level, my troopers fully equipped with disruptor armour, I think devastator cannons as main weapons (I eventually kept them as sidearms late game. Good for tunnelling through walls. And hills) and a fair amount of experience. Spread out across the central area, no contacts. Then several of the bastards became apparent lurking in the rooms off the far side. End turn with one soldier roughly a third of the way across the open area and the rest going around the sides keeping out of LoS as much as possible.

That one soldier got hit with so much concentrated devastator cannon fire every single piece of her armour was vapourised. And she survived!

Until the next turn whereupon she died of wounds. BUT STILL! To be left standing after having all of your armour destroyed literally around you. That's stayed with me.

I'm going to refrain from voting due to my liberal (ab)use of the save game function :rolleyes:

If I lose more than 2 soldiers I generally load and restart. Also if I feel I'm getting liberally screwed by a RNG or by a bug / "aliens cheating" I'll load and redo it.

99% probably frowns on this but to each his own, right? ;)

It is in Beta, so by testing out things (and getting a body count) you're helping the process.

I save at the start of each combat (started due to earlier CTD). Now if I find something unusual or different I save the mission when I'm done then reload the starting one and test it out.

Doing that, I've killed two with friendly fire rocket launchers, lost an entire squad (except one) to an alien sniper, and had endless fun trying to work out how get round a terror map. A few builds have also helped in breaching tactics as the AI has shifted.

The only time I've tried over and over was in the alien base where they were shooting through walls. Not even savescumming helped in the end, so I just autocompleted the mission.

I've been taking some pretty heavy losses to those snipers too and trying to do a terror mission well, I didn't bring anyone home. I have been know to do a few reloads but have started to get corrupted saves. I didn't realize you could auto complete missions, how does that work and what sort of outcomes do you get?

>shuffles feet< it....ah..wasn't a Harridan. It...um... was a Sebillian :)

*$!* thing stayed just off screen on a farm map behind defensive walls. Popped into view and killed the soldier stupidly wandering in the middle of the field. The others were about to enter the UFO. But I moved across a soldier a little more sneakily to take care of it. He got shot and killed as there was little available cover.

I move two more soldiers over. One got her cover destroyed and then shot and the other got seriously wounded and bled to death. The others completed the UFO. By this point, I was fairly sure I would reload, but I lazily sent a sniper to his death.

My rocket launcher person missed and got shot as the others raced across the field. I wounded it, but lost another soldier before the lone survivor could finish it off. Just.

Ah, those were the days. :)

These days, I'd not engage it after first sight. Assuming the reaction fire doesn't kill my soldier, I'd just work my way right round the map and use the rocket launchers to take it out from a safe distance. It's just an eagerness to rush through the map that got them all slaughtered.

• 1 year later...

haven't played the original xcom, and it's my 1st play through of xenonauts..I found myself saying "alright..that didn't go exactly as planed...I need a new volunteer!" ...quite alot

I lose 1-2 on average, some missions though go very badly and i swear those crashsite ship doors remind me more and more of ww2 mg42 emplacements as the aliens get tougher.

haven't played the original xcom, and it's my 1st play through of xenonauts..I found myself saying "alright..that didn't go exactly as planed...I need a new volunteer!" ...quite alot

I lose 1-2 on average, some missions though go very badly and i swear those crashsite ship doors remind me more and more of ww2 mg42 emplacements as the aliens get tougher.

The game gets terrifying once you realize that alien Officers are immune to gas. :(.

Officers aren't technically immune to gas, but their helmets give something like 50 chemical mitigation and gas grenades only do 40 chemical stun damage. Their armour does wear down if exposed to gas long enough, but it takes a while. i should have said "extremely resistant" rather than immune, as you can bag them by camping for ten turns outside a gas-filled UFO.