Plasma Shotgun

Ishantil

Ours or theirs?

Ours I have not tried yet. Theirs is nasty, worse with burst fire but my main issue is it's accuracy at range being moderate rather than appalling. I've lost quite a few guys to being sniped with heavy plasmas from beyond visual range.

I think it's OP. Every troop I lost in an entire night of playing was killed by the plasma shotgun, but one. Even the "misses" are dangerous with that thing. I don't know if it's too powerful, too high an ROF, too accurate, or has too many "pellets". I do think it needs a reduction of some kind. Our laser carbine, on the other hand, seems about right to me. It's good at close range, but pretty much sucks at longer ranges. That's what I'd expect.

I can't check now, but I'm pretty sure it got buffed to have 50 armour mitigation, which means it ignores Wolf and anything below it. While some armour mitigation is necessary to stop the weapon doing nothing, maybe completely ignoring most armour is too much?
That could be it too. All my guys had Wolf on and it didn't seem to help one bit. Probably still needs a firepower reduction of some kind too.

Aaron did give us fair warning...but he's still evil. LOL! :D

Edited by StellarRat

Given the musing on the need for late game relevance, as the plasma shottie is supposed to be a late game alien weapon for elite mooks thus needs to not be useless by then, it was suggested that the current one be nerfed slightly and an 'elite' version introduced later to remain viable. Personally, it might make more sense to make the current version the 'elite' version, retaining armour mitigation, burst fire and accuracy just how it is, and introduce a 'standard' version that only has single fire, needs to be closer and is less effective against armour. Then when the elites starts treating you like the chew toys we're currently feeling like, it'd be an unpleasant surprise. Maybe re-introduce some fear.

Right now it's more of a heavy machine gun that can do single shots than it's a shotgun. I always pick them up and use them as long ranged spray weapon. The misses may still hit and even if not it does suppress and destroy cover better than a rocket launcher, giving my snipers a better line of fire. This makes it an ideal weapon for breaches, accuracy penalty be damned.

Yeah they are fearsome i always loose soldiers to the last room of alien bases due to those.

I have now a nice strategy i always take 2-3 rookies in my shrike and i make them recieve the reaction shots in the last room before my elite troops enter and clear the room. Nasty but efficient :D.

By the way sometimes some miraculated rookie survive the process :D

Given the musing on the need for late game relevance, as the plasma shottie is supposed to be a late game alien weapon for elite mooks thus needs to not be useless by then, it was suggested that the current one be nerfed slightly and an 'elite' version introduced later to remain viable. Personally, it might make more sense to make the current version the 'elite' version, retaining armour mitigation, burst fire and accuracy just how it is, and introduce a 'standard' version that only has single fire, needs to be closer and is less effective against armour. Then when the elites starts treating you like the chew toys we're currently feeling like, it'd be an unpleasant surprise. Maybe re-introduce some fear.

That or just introduce it later on in the game.

The problem with introducing it later is that you need all four alien plasma weapons in order to research your own. Although slowing down the plasma tier might also be an idea. I can't recall the requirements for laser weapons, is it just any two alien plasmas (typically the rifle and pistol) of must it be the rifle and pistol. Either way introducing the heavy plasma later wouldn't affect that.

My way makes more new players pee themselves slightly and cry though.

IMO, the solution is to reduce the effective range of the heavy plasma substantially. That will make the misses a lot less dangerous because firing past the effective range of a weapon not reduces accuracy rapidly, it also reduces damage. They'll still be deadly at close range, but at least you'll have a chance if you can keep the aliens at arms length.