So I haven't played Xenonauts for a really long time, but I decided to start it up today since I saw it got a couple new updates on Steam. So I started it up (after modding the shit out of it, shout out to Assoonasitis, thothkins, Sathra, etc), and I was appalled. What happened to my old pretty, cool, cold war-y geoscape? I thought the old geoscape was the coolest thing ever, although it definitely needed some patching up (missing land, a little buggy). I think the new geoscape is ugly as hell. It really sort of turns me off of the game, it doesn't feel like I'm playing Xenonauts. I'll look at some geoscape mods, but I don't have very high hopes.

Anyways, I just wanted to put my two cents in, and maybe also find out if there's any way of getting the old geoscape back.

It really sort of turns me off

Sounds serious, mate.

I used to agree with the OP; the black seas of the old geoscape gave a much lonelier feeling. I got used to the new one after a while, but would still be nice to have it as an option.

I don't think it's worth investing modding time or dev time on it until the full geoscape overhaul is done, which is hopefully in v20.

Edited by Tobbzn

I used to agree with the OP; the black seas of the old geoscape gave a much lonelier feeling.

Goldhawk update Geoscape, due to increased suicide rate of gamers staring at lonely black oceans of depressions. "They hadn't even bought the full version yet," cried the team's mandatory person called Chris.

I've not tried to play around with the maps yet, but would some of the contents of the old Earth folder in assets replace the new version in the Earth folder snugly?

You may not be alone, OP, but from the conversations I've had you are in the minority. Most people prefer the new look outright, and quite a few people prefer it now they've got used to it.

You can put the old files back in if you want the old graphics, but you also need to update the old continent masks too otherwise they won't be in the correct place (the two maps don't match up exactly). That's why it's not super-simple just to have it in as an option to switch between the styles. But ultimately it is just image swapping.

Of course, the old map doesn't really match the new UI style, and the old UI style collectively is quite a lot less appealing than the new one (even if the Geoscape map style is a bit more contentious).

• 2 weeks later...