Jsleezy's Real Fighter Portrait Pack

Jsleezy

Does this pack work for all future xeno releases?

I can't for certain say it will work 100% since I have no way of knowing what Goldhawk will change in the future.

However, I'm pretty sure Chris has stated that they would not be revamping the portraits so we are covered in that front.

There are two files that are included in the mod that could be tweaked by the developer. One adds a 78 portraits that would only be seen if you "pushed" a custom soldier in the start screen (but even then you're only locked to 12 of these portraits). The other file changes the odds of getting a female soldier from 40% to 20%. These two files are optional, but I highly recommend them (who wouldn't want 114 portraits instead of 36???).

In short, if the two files mentioned above were to be changed by GoldHawk your game would still work just fine, but you might only see the 36 male portraits that are not locked when you get a new soldier or start a new game.

Edited by Jsleezy

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered redoing the basic helmet alongside your faces? I'm not trying to insult the artist(s) involved in Xenonauts, everything else looks pretty great, but that one thing always kind of bothered me...it just looks like a construction worker's hard hat more than a military steel helmet. And now that you've got these high-resolution, absolutely gorgeous faces right below it, it kinda accentuates the weirdness a bit more.

Have you considered redoing the basic helmet alongside your faces? I'm not trying to insult the artist(s) involved in Xenonauts, everything else looks pretty great, but that one thing always kind of bothered me...it just looks like a construction worker's hard hat more than a military steel helmet. And now that you've got these high-resolution, absolutely gorgeous faces right below it, it kinda accentuates the weirdness a bit more.

i actually signed up (after browsing these forums for a long while) just to say this comment made me laugh so hard for some reason... I actually thought those were old school safety hats since funds were tight and soldiers couldn't afford proper helmets :P

Thanks Jebediah. I think it was meant to look like the British WWI helmets...but yes it is indeed a bit weird. I'm fixing to make some updates on the basic armor based on some feedback from my armor thread:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/6662-Jsleezy-s-Real-Armors

That reminds me I need to update the code for the Portrait Pack mod since the last update changed some of the optional code.

• 4 weeks later...

realFighter_copmlete_600x316.jpg

It is DONE!

I've uploaded the final piece of the mod...Jsleezy's Real Fighter Portrait Pack - Female.

It adds a total of 32 portraits (out of 29). It should also add more variety since I believe a few of the "custom" portraits were not being used.

I also uploaded a fix for V20 Experimental. This should add all the portraits back.

If you downloaded the portraits before V20 you might need to download the portraits again and apply the fix. V20 added the 3 missing portraits so it overwrote the ones I had made.

Get it here:

http://xeno-mods.com/mod/155/jsleezy-s-real-fighter-portrait-pack

• 2 weeks later...
On behalf of Claudia and myself, we thank you.

Now, can you mod some big boobbies on the girly soldiers? :)

Hey you might want to check out my armor. I've only made the basic armor gender specific so far. http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/6662-Jsleezy-s-Real-Armors

I see that portraits have been added with the new patch. Will it effect this mod?

Sorry for getting back to you so late...I never saw this message. It didn't overwrite anything I don't think. It just added new portraits. I need to check and see if it changed the soldier_names file which could affect whether or not you get all the soldiers from the soldier pool.

I'm not sure if I should release an addition that just adds the new portraits or wait until the game is finally released and add all the new portraits in one large pack. Suggestions?

No problem. I am just glad that you mean to keep the mod updated.

I have noticed that on the equip screen were the head is attached to the body, that on some heads such as female 'nor00' have a light outline around them that does look a little weird. Can anything be done?

Yes, I do plan to keep this mod updated. I'll see what I can do about the light outline on some of the female hair.

That would be cool as I believe the mod to be well worth it, it adds loads to my game.

Squad portraits are now immediately distinguishable and brings me closer to my troops. I could not go back to vanilla. I find it hard to tell them apart. :)

----UPDATE---

I have updated the female soldier portraits. I refined the edges around some of the portraits so they should look nicer now (no more white outline).

I also uploaded a fix for V20 stable. It frees the soldier pool for females and males and lowers the chance from getting a female soldier from 40% to 20%.

As for the new portraits in the original art style that were added I plan to work on those on a later date and upload them perhaps when the games comes out in one full portrait package.

Thank you for the update, very much appreciated.

So you think females should be at the kitchen sink and not in the military? :rolleyes:

Is this what I change to put it back to 40?

<femaleSoldierChance value="20" TO <femaleSoldierChance value="40"

Edited by Moonie

So you think females should be at the kitchen sink and not in the military? :rolleyes:

I'd guess the point is that the mod says it is supposed to add more realism to the game, and 40% is very unrealistic, even 20% is. Soviet Union in WW2 had a number of female soldiers/pilots/whatever and I don't think they came anywhere close.

I'd guess the point is that the mod says it is supposed to add more realism to the game, and 40% is very unrealistic, even 20% is. Soviet Union in WW2 had a number of female soldiers/pilots/whatever and I don't think they came anywhere close.

Yeah, but I do like it to be 50/50 in games. No biggie of course, just personal preference.

Thank you for the update, very much appreciated.

Is this what I change to put it back to 40?

<femaleSoldierChance value="20" TO <femaleSoldierChance value="40"

LOL. It's just really for immersion like Ilunak pointed out. Also the numbers don't make sense from an assets point of view. There are 4 times the amount of male portraits to female portraits. If the soldier ratio is 50/50 then you're going to be seeing the same female portraits over and over. I've done tons of testing for the soldier pool and there are male portraits that I've never seen show up because there are just so many.

Anyways, if you don't want to change the female to male ratio don't install "game_config.xml". Your line of code is correct but not installing the xml file would be easier.