Jsleezy's Real Fighter Portrait Pack

Jsleezy

This thread is now redundant. You can now check out the released files here : http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11629-V1-08-Jsleezy-s-Real-Fighter-Portrait-Pack

realFighter_copmlete_600x316.jpg

This mod was created to add a little realism and personality to the game. This is a replacer for all original portraits. Currently this is what it does:

- Adds 114 unique male portraits. NO REPEATS. (There are 36 repeats in vanilla version)

- Adds 32 unique female portraits.

- Adds gloves to missing portraits and a few hand images which color I couldn't match

glovesPreview.jpg

Optional (Highly Recommended):

- Adds more diversity to the soldier pool. Some nations can now pull from all soldiers portraits even the custom ones. 95% of the time vanilla only pulls the same 35 male portraits (out of a possible 114!!!) over and over

- Slightly changes the distribution of nationalities in the soldier pool

- Reduces the chances of getting a female soldier from 40% to 20%

realFighter_strip.jpg

realFighterFemale_strip.jpg

Here is what the portraits look like in ground combat

realFighter_ui.jpg

Get it here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/xenonauts/mods/2/?

Edited by Jsleezy

That's stunning work. Your mods are really climibng up the "Must Install" urge list. Have you any plans to mods the female faces as well? Not that I'm unhappy with what you've done, but the contrast would be stark, heh.

Thanks for the kind words! I do plan to create female portraits. I've actually already have the assets collected I just need to start working on them next week. I'm taking a few days off from doing portraits to do some freelance work...and a new mod haha.

I am very much looking forward to integrating this into my game. Well done! Can't wait to see what you've done with the females.

Thanks! I'll post a preview on the other thread once I have a few to show.

Pretty bonkers. Great job. Just for the record, can you post a 4-5 screenshots showing how you constructed or edited the images, like the progress ?

Sure:

FaceProcess.gif

Step 1: I selected an image I had done before to get a neck that fits well in the Xenonauts PSD template. The neck posture is key.

Step 2: I select a face that I want to work with that has the right profile otherwise it will look awkward or off in some of the armours.

Step 3: I give the guy some hair...it could be a new nose, lips, ears, eyes.

Step 4: I give the guy a new jaw/ mouth. You'd be amaze at how different a person looks like with a new jaw line.

The steps vary depending on the portrait. Some are more complicated and others more simple, although most of them are more complicated than simple. I also did a lot of color correcting which is not shown in the steps, but matching skin pigments is also key. I hope that helps.

Edited by Jsleezy

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly, I have not made as much progress as I thought. I started fiddling with a sound mod that is probably around 80% done right now. I'm still waiting on the devs to fix some sound bugs before I release that one. Then, I got a big freelance project last month that kept me busy just about every day last month.

However, I have done a few of them. Here is proof:

JsleezysRealFighterPack_fem.jpg

All of these are using the same facial structure which is why they look so similar.

Ha I'll use her as inspiration when I get to the "Med" ones.

ooooh ooh ! If you're including Michell Rodriguez how about you base one on Milla Jovovich?

Oh my! This is so much better than the stock pictures! Maybe a stupid question, but why don't you sell your avatars so they will be in the game by default on release? Your pictures are unbelievably important for the feel of the game.

Very, very high praises to you!!

This has already been asked but to the developer instead.

Here is the thread, the ourcry (I'm hyperboling :P) and dev response if you would want to read it:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/7771-Make-better-character-portraits-Hire-Jsleezy-to-make-them

Edited by Gorlom

Oh my! This is so much better than the stock pictures! Maybe a stupid question, but why don't you sell your avatars so they will be in the game by default on release? Your pictures are unbelievably important for the feel of the game.

Very, very high praises to you!!

Thanks, man. It's been a ton of work but I've enjoyed every second of it. I wouldn't sell them...it's a mod and it's free :)

Enjoy it!

ooooh ooh ! If you're including Michell Rodriguez how about you base one on Milla Jovovich?

Haha I'll see if I can recreate a look-alike for her. I don't want to straight up rip off her image. I'll definitely use her eyes/face/hair in one or more of the portraits. I'm trying to make the females to look as common people as possible and not have them all look like models. They are soldiers after all.

Edited by Jsleezy