Objective progression - spoiler request.

I was just curious to know what exactly comes after the objective to capture an alien officer?

I've managed to capture a Caesan officer in a base once, but it didn't clear the objective. Do I need more species?

I feel like I've been very close to the end of the game in previous games, had ability to build late tech like Valkyries, Predator armor etc. But I am obviously still missing something.

can anyone tell me what the objective progression currently looks like?

Thanks

The objective thingy is new to me; it was only installed a couple of builds ago.

As far as I know, you just interrogate the officer. I mean, the objectives don't actually mean anything in-game, they're just hints as to what you maybe could/should think about doing next, as far as I'm aware.

Ok well what triggers the endgame mission? I know it is possible to finish the game. I feel like I have been close at times in previous builds.

Is it just building the last dropship (like in XCom)? or does a super alien base spawn at some point on the globe? Do I need to capture a Praetor?

I was going to start a new game and just wanted to keep my eye on the prize

Edited by Shoggoth

Would you like some spoilers? ;)

Simple answer, no, building the end dropship does not trigger the end mission. Nor do the aliens build a massive base.

Simple, brief, mostly harmless spoiler/instructions on how to begin the end.

You begin the end by capturing and interrogating a Praetor.