V19 Stable Candidate 2 available!

Firstly, if you do not know how to access the experimental branch on Steam, please read the instructions (and warnings!) in this thread. All saved games from earlier versions (including experimental versions) are incompatible, attempting to load them will cause problems.

This build is simply an update to the last stable candidate with all the fixes we have made over the last few days. Here's the changelist:

Fixes

- Fixed crash when opening the soldier inventory while stood over a militia corpse

- Fixed crash when ending a mission with smoke/gas present in the level

- Fixed Geoscape crash that could happen once Battleship UFOs started appearing

- Fixed rare bug with aliens being killed by reaction fire could appear to be still alive

- Smoke grenades will no longer detonate C4 on the ground

- Fixed and synchronised animations for Caesans, Sebillians and Harridans (if you see any of these that still look incorrectly timed let me know please!)

- Reset animation delays on alien weapons to match desired animation rates

- Correctly set pivot values for damaged variants of a few alien base wall sprites

- Fixed order of names in the Geoscape popup when Xenonaut aircraft are intercepted

- Fixed small patch of missing ground texture on one Corvette Farm map

- Fixed ability to double level stength

Balance

- Reduced farmer shotgun damage (was unintentionally too high)

- Reduced weight of combat shields to 3

- Increased suppression power of light drone weapon

- Stun grenades now no longer cause stun damage on detonation, instead all stun damage is caused by the gas they release

- Increased range and field of fire on Xenonaut interceptor cannons to make them more generally viable weapons

- Removed armour ratings from some of the larger UFOs (they were not behaving as expected, and weren't needed anyway)

- Adjusted the air combat auto-resolve scores for Xenonauts heavy missiles so they are now worth 0 against UFOs capable of evading

- UFO fighter missiles now have a significant auto-resolve score value (previously 0) when resolving against non-evasive Xenonaut craft i.e. Foxtrots

- Slightly reduced door opening AP from 15 to 12

- Enabled burst fire on alien heavy plasma shotgun (have fun)

You can try it, but if you encounter problems you are on your own. Also if you find bugs while playing that way please verify them in a clean saved game made with the same version if you want to post a bug report about them.

Also please try to contain yourself to one post, this isn't IRC :P

just loaded old game from v19 SC1. is it ok to just play?

Yes, we didn't alter nothing on the file structure of savegames, so loading them should be OK.

(But as Aaron correctly points out, it's better to start over, to avoid creating new issues coming from mixing different builds.)

Edited by Giovanni

Aaron's managed to nail down the smoke crash when stunning aliens after a hilarious amount of time spent trying to reproduce it, so there'll be another hotfix in the next couple of days with that (and likely other fixes).

We'd like to get the Stable out this week if possible.

All saved games from earlier versions (including experimental versions) are incompatible, attempting to load them will cause problems.

This is no new news, but is there a way I could continue my current playthru with V19 SC1? Spent maybe around 30-40 hours in the last save files, and I'd like to get back to that before updating. Altho, I bought an early access game, and I opted into the experimental version, knowing that this might be the case. So no tears here, just asking :cool:

- Increased range and field of fire on Xenonaut interceptor cannons to make them more generally viable weapons

Great! Been grinding the shit out of them so far by manual control, this might make some encounters a bit easier :P

- Slightly reduced door opening AP from 15 to 12

Hallelujah for that!

- Enabled burst fire on alien heavy plasma shotgun (have fun)

:mad:

THANKS!

Aaron's managed to nail down the smoke crash when stunning aliens after a hilarious amount of time spent trying to reproduce it, so there'll be another hotfix in the next couple of days with that (and likely other fixes).

We'd like to get the Stable out this week if possible.

So, I have to know...what was the problem???

I believe the crash is caused by a soldier throwing BOTH a smoke and a stun grenade in the same turn. That is certainly a reliable repro step anyway.

Ishantil - yes, it drops to 50% damage at the edges. Not sure I see the relevance though?

Orcidea - yup, looks like you're in luck.

billion - well done, good luck with the final mission (the explanation for it probably isn't in yet) :)

Gromitek - yes, and probably due to incomplete balancing.

@Chris: Aaron said that all of the damage was based on the smoke/mist generated instead of the initial hit. I was just wondering if that logic worked out to be the same amount of damage.
I would imagine it's going to take a lot longer to stun an alien though. The initial burst did a LOT of stun damage if it landed in their tile. Now you'll have to blanket the area and wait. That's more realistic.

Oy vey, burst fire shotguns. I'm excited. ;)

Also, 3kg for the combat shield is a very good idea; I support it very much. Thanks!

It makes it so that it's no longer an armor replacement, and thus it not being as effective as armor isn't an issue anymore. The one handed bit is good enough.

Burst fire on the plasma shotgun?!?!? Holy crap, they were already the deadliest weapon in enemy bases! Might be OP, we'll let you know. They could already fire three times occasionally. Give us burst fire on OUR shotguns and I might not complain as much, LOL!

Sebellian warriors can fire theirs four times per round -- and frequently do. Enough to destroy hard cover and the soldiers hiding behind it. I'm actually hoping this nerfs them slightly, strange as it sounds.

Well, not if the gas dissipates quickly, overall, my question was are grenades as effective as they were, or do I need 12?

Yeah... I'm not too sure about this. They dissipate so quickly, it already takes a few stun grenades to do any good. I find it especially surprising that I can launch two stun rockets into a small scout, close the doors, and find that the stun gas dissipates very quickly. And then you can't even be sure if an alien is in the gas, or if he found an open spot. Rather than having the stun gas fade out in patches, I think it should just become less effective over time--but still cover the entire area.

Stun grenades have received a bit of a nerf in this update. This is because you're not able to spam grenades at the target to bring them down with the initial stun damage, as was previously happening. The idea isn't that you throw 6 at the target in the same turn and bring them down, instead you use a number of grenades over several turns to keep the gas level (all tiles of stun gas do equal damage) up and then you capture them that way.

Frankly stun grenades are meant to be a poor imitation of the stun baton anyway, as they can easily be used without putting your men in danger so we can't afford to make them that effective.