Soldier Portraits on Ground Combat UI

I know it is probably too late in development to make changes to the UI, but I thought it would be really cool to have soldier portraits on the left (like old-school RPGs) instead of numbers.

alien.jpg

This is why:

1. Intuition: right now the only way to find a specific soldier is to hover over the numbers. This is time consuming and not very intuitive.

2. Attachment: with the portrait on the left your soldier becomes more than just a number and help players become more attached to their soldiers.

3. Fluidity: the player would recognize the faces/roles and make faster tactical commands on the battle map.

I realize you can have up to 16 characters on the map. You could just have 2 columns of soldiers.

(Disclaimer: this is just something a threw together in photoshop real quick)

Thoughts?

I do like and support this idea. Though a couple more form/position variants will be great.

You should consider that the smaller monitors will not have that space left and right from the main UI. So the whole bar of space up from TU Reserve block will be sacrificed.

Upd: Something like this, probably.

2.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg.a77227bcdb92c4d77d56c2af145233a0.j

3.jpg.38cd021080f4bc1fd6578be1f5632628.j

Yes! Anything would be better than hovering over the numbers to see where your sniper or medic is located.

I wonder if it is something that could be moded...perhaps leave all the portraits on hover and move their coordinates so they stack on the left or top. It would be awesome if it were that simple. It would be glorious.

Good news: I've been able to move the portraits around.

Bad news: I haven't been able to remove the "on hover" effect. Also, you can't click on the portrait to center on your soldier; you'd have to click on the health bar.

I'll keep digging to see if modding the portrait placement is possible.