Medal Types?

Chris

Wow, lots of comments on this.

On the existing ideas, I like Chris's idea of medal verus achievement.

I suggest making the nature of the medal harder to achieve if you save scum, not easier. Essentialy, if you are the type of player that reloads a lot, an event that cause a medal would be an event you might prefer to reload on.

To me # of kills sounds like achievement, not a medal.

campaign ribons are the only thing I can think of that might fit that violates my suggestion about making medals difficult.

Medal for taking damage and surviving is a good (purple heart or other name.)

I didn't read all the comments (15 pages) but I did a search so if the following has been covered...my appologies

Possibly a new idea on a medal already named. Medal of Honor (American) is often given to those that save their squad mates. PSo instead of using a kill counter, consider a calculation like healing X teammates and then killing an alien and/or taking an injury while healing a squad mate.

New Idea:

Brain Games- Mind control an alien that had mine controlled one of your soldiers.

There's a 99% this won't go through ;D

99% is probably a bit low as you can't actually mind control aliens in Xenonauts ;)

Change the number of kills medals over to the weapon proficiency version (number of kills with a specific weapon) and I am with you.

I don't like the set number of kills medal but making it weapon specific at least has the bonus of making your sniper stand out from the machine gunner.

I would definitely like to see more medals for different situations but if you are trying to keep the numbers small then I guess you are going to be limited by design on the things you are going to be able to award them for.

99% is probably a bit low as you can't actually mind control aliens in Xenonauts ;)

Change the number of kills medals over to the weapon proficiency version (number of kills with a specific weapon) and I am with you.

I don't like the set number of kills medal but making it weapon specific at least has the bonus of making your sniper stand out from the machine gunner.

I would definitely like to see more medals for different situations but if you are trying to keep the numbers small then I guess you are going to be limited by design on the things you are going to be able to award them for.

Wait wait WHAT- You CAN'T? No! Why? Did humans LOSE knowledge since X-COM? *goes to suggestions thread*

Wait wait WHAT- You CAN'T? No! Why? Did humans LOSE knowledge since X-COM? *goes to suggestions thread*

Because it was OP as all hell in X-COM (let's be honest) and Chris has stated that he wants the player to feel genuinely threatened by the aliens every step of the way, something which obscenely powerful psionics would preclude.

There's a thread in GD if you want to offer your thoughts, Chris seems still potentially open to suggestions.

My bolded question for you is - if your copy of Xenonauts came with a special file that removed the Sole Survivor medal from the game, would that solve this for you? As far as I can tell, you don't want the medal in the game because you personally would feel the need to go to extreme lengths to get it.

Yes, it would.

Well yes we all hve been trying to push for more medals but i think Chris might like it to stay at 10, I do hope he changes his mind i am inclining more towards 30 :) and AD, TT, Gorlom and a few other did come up with good names and fair characteristics.

LIES! I do not recall comming up with any names or characteristics! When did I do that?:confused: I have just been whining this whole thread. (Seriously I've only been posting critizism for some reason)

LIAR! :P

Edited by Gorlom

LIES! I do not recall comming up with any names or characteristics! When did I do that?:confused: I have just been whining this whole thread. (Seriously I've only been posting critizism for some reason)

LIAR! :P

Really!!! somehow, somewhere i thought I saw a you mentioning about some medal or maybe some type of requisites for a medal, most likely i am wrong, but i think not.

Still my point stand we would like to push for more medals and try to make "medal collector's" job a whole lot more difficult ;)

So? What do you think about player generated medals?

It is a good idea however there are too many variables to account for, making it difficult to programmer to think all possibilities.

One way would me leaving everything blank and let the user fill all the fields.

medal name. and maybe description.

Also how about the art, will there be a standard set, for the ribbon and their corresponding medals or the user will have to create their own or maybe "load" art.

either that or there would have to be a medal creator type program that will let you assign and/or columns or rows of colors and there would be a few actual medals to choose from, or allow for combining the created object with default created medals.

Still the implication here is that it could be a little messy to code, (i think) maybe some coder can give their insight.

Also allowing this some users may not want to do that so an extra burden, although you may argue that it gives you more choices, it doesn't improve playability

Edited by xracer

Simplest way would be to only allow for one player generated medal that looks very generic. like say an empty shield type badge.

other possibilities would be to have the player select a medal look from a selection of x number medals designed by Chris' artwork guy. (so that players dont have to generate their own medals i mean)

Wow, you guys get really intense... Why Not Include some Medals from the Various Nations participating in Funding your Base, and as those countries drop out, so does the chance for the medals from that country? Just an Idea. It could also play to the point that the medals would be awarded for there the missions took place, so a Successful Terror mission in Germany could award the Iron Cross to the soldier in that unit that had the most kills, or saved another member, or captured the most aliens alive. Same as if the Mission was in the Soviet Union, award the Hero of the Soviet Union to one of the Squad members. Just Ideas. I know it may be alot of work. Its Just an Idea

• 3 months later...

I think some harder medals should be made based on the nationality of the soldier. An american soldier can receive the Medal of Honor, a British soldier can receive the Victoria Cross, a soviet one the Order of Lenin and so on.

PS: Probably in the forums but i'm too lazy to search for it, but how do I get my preorder badge?

Edited by BiscuitsAkimbo!