How to download Xenonauts without using Desura!

Chris

I had version v16, with the stuck in the whirlybird issue, then read about the issue and re-downloaded v16 and it worked so it was updated but took a couple of days, this led to a little confusion of the name but not an issue I noticed the file size was a little different.

My reason for leaving it for a while now is the long time to move about issue that not many people will be fussed about, also I notice a lot more work done when I have left it for a while.

I had the desura client installed but I didn't like that so it's now removed, space is the big issue on my PC i opted for a small but very fast SSD and moved my raided drives to mass storage (internal sata d: drive not usb connected) to move my games back n forth as and when wanted em (its not recomended but I know what I'm doing) for example I moved BF3 at 15 gigs to install ufo:eu, it only took a few minutes but to remove and redownload will take 45mins or more, as for xenonauts it takes a while to download for sure but it takes just as long to move it to storage so I now just delete it and try not to burden desura with too many full downloads.

Oh and it also takes ages to un rar due to the large number of files, this isn't really a big issue to most and while a little annoying to me I will still back this project to the end even if this issue isn't resolved, if not resolved at final release I may just give my copy away but dont be disheartend about that it will be my loss and my rather skint friends gain.

I only get a few minutes here and there to play games and if I want to play 'game a' and its not ready to play then I need to make it ready in the shortest time possible, not happy when my time is up and I havent played anything. take CSS or CS:GO for example I may have the need to kill a load of people but I only have a 15 min smoke break, takes two minutes to copy back from mass storage and Im on and killing but for xenonauts by the time its copied I'll only have a five minute bash and its a third the size.

must not grumble the work being done here is great, big up the project!

Update:

As I have update and posted in another thread I am just being thick, I have multiple PC's that can run this game why did I think I would want it on my such restricted gaming PC (can only play while having a smoke break or when the mrs has gone to bed), you can have 300k files now for all I care I'll keep and play the game more on another PC! sorry for being a worry mutten thick head!

Edited by MasterArmadillo

Desura seems to be one pile of )#%#(#&, can't download new version with it and even if I make it search for updates it says there's none. What purpose does this program serve, as it is now it just seems to be launcher for the game and I can do the same more easily by creating Xenonauts shortcut on my desktop :D

Edited by APelz

Maybe you have the latest update? the Xenonaut splash screen doesn't always show the latest version if it's a small patch that just changes a few files but not the exe. what is it that makes you believe that you are not up to date?

Personally, I haven't seen my Premium Alpha require an update since... V14.x? Something like that. I'm having to download the new version as a .Zip.

There is a demo available on the kickstarter page. V 10 compared to the current V 16. Bug reports from that version will be pretty useless though.

Another question then. Can you please explain what is difference between simple and premium versions? Description on Desura isn't clear to me.

Personally, I haven't seen my Premium Alpha require an update since... V14.x? Something like that. I'm having to download the new version as a .Zip.

Hmm.. no idea what could be wrong.. are you using Desura in offlinemode perhaps? looking at your join date and mentioning V.14 I assume that you know what the new version indicator looks like, so that wouldn't be it. This is peculiar.

Another question then. Can you please explain what is difference between simple and premium versions? Description on Desura isn't clear to me.

There is no difference between standard and premium preorder as far as Desura is concerned (except for the price). There is no difference in the versions/builds, it's the exact same thing. Chris has said he does not want to develop a different version for backers/standard preorders/premium preorders. All of us gets the exact same version as those that buy it after Xenonauts goes gold.

Desura adds a .1 to one of the version for some reason that is not really explained. But I have always assumed it so that Desura can somehow distinguish which one gets the gold badge on the forum.

Edited by Gorlom

Thats pretty strange why they are the same (except may be as for that book, that Premium users will get earlier than others) but price is different. But it diesn't matter, So OK and thank you.

Now I'm trying to find out if Desura is "compatible" with Ukrainian bank I have card from. Then I will make my order :-).

Maybe you have the latest update? the Xenonaut splash screen doesn't always show the latest version if it's a small patch that just changes a few files but not the exe. what is it that makes you believe that you are not up to date?

Well then, that question goes both ways I guess? How do I know that I do or don't have the latest version if version number in main menu screen may show false information? Maybe all updates should update the exe to show correct version, it's not that big file anyway? Besides I have made Desura to track Xenonauts so I assume I should get some kind of notification when updates are available and there have been none.

APelz, here's a quote from the latest build release by the lead developer on this matter.

THE LAUNCHER WILL STILL SAY V17 INSTEAD OF V17.1 - this is because I need to recompile the build to change the launcher background image, and doing so might add new bugs into the game. The .exes haven't changed since V17.

That's probably not the answer you want, but that's the answer you have.

notification? not really, all that happens afaik is that a 2 arrows forming a circle appear next to the Xenonaut name in your game list. quite easy to miss for those that are not used to Desura. I think a few people commented on that around the time I joined the forum. I haven't seen much about it since though.

I think you simply have to deduce if you are playing the most recent version or if you are suffering from bugs that were fixed in the latest version. That requires a bit more forum browsing and isn't very convenient though. :S

Alternatively you can attempt to apply the updater that Chris and Tass posts in the announcement threads and see if that does anything or not.

I wish there were other download mirrors. Couldn't even get it to download through the Desura client, clicking on the .zip download didn't seem to do anything. Logged in through their site and got it to start downloading, but Desura's downloads are SLOOOOW.

I'm not using Desura. I installed the client and spent quite a few minutes trying to figure out how to download the game.

Then I spent 2 hours downloading the game, only to have to download suddenly stop at about 99% completion. I read some forums looking for help, then noticed that Desura said the game was installed. Game wouldn't run, because of course it never finished downloading, and the verify files did nothing.

Desura client is overloaded with useless information and is ugly as hell. The download was slower than sin.

Since finishing my first play through of XCOM:EU, I have been trying for several days to play Xenonauts...made the mistake of trying to update my version...that failed mid-stream and now I can't seem to play, "verify files" or complete a download of the new version. Currently deleting the version I had and seeing if a fresh start will help... need my fix.... :)

Update 1 - seems to be loading and much quicker than before (only says it will take 1 hr and 34 mins instead of the "over 12 hours" message I got before)...fingers crossed.

Update 2 - Fresh start and download appears to have worked...yeah! Now if I skip work this morning I could get some play time in...

Edited by Russonc
Update

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What is the difference between "Xenonauts Alpha" and "Xenonauts Premium Alpha" ?

The Alpha i can download, but the Premium Alpha i can not download ...

(sorry if this question was asked before...)

I assumed the premium came with a few extra perks like forum bits and bobs. Also I heard we were all gonna get free candy at some point.