How to download Xenonauts without using Desura!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for such a concern for buyers!

But I would prefer to receive updates quickly through Desura.

This is due to the fact that the game really is still in early alpha version.

Therefore I would like to receive updates faster. But after the release, I would appreciate the developers if they give an opportunity to tie this great game for the steam

well i pre ordered but it doesnt show up in desura, so i have to download off the site

and when i try to install on the desura client, it wants me to buy it AGAIN

Edited by Malachai13

• 3 weeks later...

Desura seems like a complete mess. Is there any way to buy and download the alpha without having to buy it or activate it on Desura?

If there is no way, then I will wait until it is out somewhere else before I buy it.

I came here after being dissapointed in the XCOM demo and wanted to try this out, but if I'm forced to use Desura, the I will wait for the full release instead.

The client itself isn't a DRM (you can run the games without tarting the client or connecting to the internet) it just facilitates updates. or at least is supposed to. Desura doesn't have the same budget Valve does so it's bound to have some issues. particularly with Xenonauts due to its high count of small files. (or so I'm lead to believe)

You can try the kickstarter demo. Should still be available on the kickstarter page.

Also what is it that seems messy about desura? the client or the whole thing? You don't actually need the client to download the game from desura. They offer a direct download zip file.

Unfortunately none of those demo links on the Kickstarter page works anymore. The ones hosted by Atomicgamer are all corrupt. I have downoaded it through each of their mirrors at least twice, it took about 4 hours and not one of them worked.

I guess I will wait until a new demo is released.

EDIT: Okay, tried once more and finally the file was not corrupted this time. Have played about 4 mins and looks good, will give it a better try in the morning. Better get to bed since it is about 2am here, haha.

Edited by JiminyJickers

• 2 weeks later...

I made the mistake of buying the premium alpha, which apparently means I can only download the Mac or Linux clients.

Meanwhile, desura itself fails halfway through the download every time.

Apparently I have to buy the non-premium alpha in order to play?!

I made the mistake of buying the premium alpha, which apparently means I can only download the Mac or Linux clients.

Meanwhile, desura itself fails halfway through the download every time.

Apparently I have to buy the non-premium alpha in order to play?!

This is Desura being derpy, I believe. As soon as V16 drops (Any Minute now...), you should be able to download all versions properly from Desura.

there is no difference between the alpha and premium alpha release.

Desura insists on naming one of them 16.1 to separate them or something but both versions are 16.0.

It's been like this for as long as I've seen it t least. (Since V 8)

Chris probably should start making jumps in 2s so that the next version is 16.2 and not 16.1 to avoid this kind of thing