Had a terror mission in 31 october, in November 5 I have another one

Specially punishing for me since I was playing on insane with iron man mode, so basically I lost 7 out of my 8 operatives in the first mission, managed to retreat my rocket launcher guy, killed 8 aliens, but it clearly wasnt enough, there were like 8-9 approaching my ship.

Next time that I start this game again, I will make sure to bring 3 rocket launchers, the bastards like to make groups of 3-4 all the time, so I am just going to blow them to pieces.

Edited by SteelSoldier

Specially punishing for me since I was playing on insane with iron man mode, so basically I lost 7 out of my 8 operatives in the first mission, managed to retreat my rocket launcher guy, killed 8 aliens, but it clearly wasnt enough, there were like 8-9 approaching my ship.

Next time that I start this game again, I will make sure to bring 3 rocket launchers, the bastards like to make groups of 3-4 all the time, so I am just going to blow them to pieces.

Yeah, you want to load up on explosives on a terror mission. Don't even think about trying to recover anything or capturing aliens. I usually take lots of extra ammo, rockets and grenades, two LMGs and two rocket launchers. Make sure to use smoke and take advantage of the cover your Chinook provides. Don't worry about saving the civilians. A few will survive if you win anyway. If you lose they all die.

agree completely with StellarRat. The terror missions have always been pretty tough early in the game. I use as much solid cover as possible, and I'm not bothered about hiding behind it for a few turns until other soldiers have taken up flanking positions. There are portions of the most common maps, I just don't go near. Travel in numbers, to make sure you can take down every alien you meet. Make sure the rocket launchers and snipers give the others as much protection as possible as they move.

Rockets for far away aliens and grenades for those closer at hand.

I much prefer a grateful nation heaping praise on all my soldiers rather than the screaming lone survivor, being wheeled off for emergency surgery.

My basic strategy was to stay behind the Chinook and pop out around the nose to fire a rocket or take a shot with a sniper then duck back and reload, repeat... The rest of my guys were basically dedicated to making sure no aliens came through or around the Chinook. You can definitely defend the space around the Chinook without too much trouble. Let the aliens come to you. Put an LMG gunner with good reactions in the side door looking through the Chinook he'll get lot of keyhole kills if anyone tries to enter the Chinook or cross his LOF. It's the perfect spot for an LMG because it greatly limits his exposure to fire and let's him concentrate a lot of firepower on a very limited area. The alien AI is good, but it doesn't understand anything about avoiding spots where it's losing people i.e. it has no memory about previous loses. I've found that trying to move out away from the Chinook without killing a lot of the aliens first is nearly suicidal. You'll always be in the crossfire of a lot of aliens no matter what route you take. I learned this the hard way after 19.7 came out. Took me four reloads to win the first terror mission.

Edited by StellarRat

With 19.7, the aliens in terror missions are VERY aggressive, and will come after you, so if one is too aggressive in covering a lot of space, one will get killed by heavy crossfire. In my recent terror mission, there were initially 7 of the 14 aliens within shooting distance, but I managed to have only one wounded soldier thanks to a combination of good luck, eagle-eyed snipers, two shields with jackal armor, and a very active rocketeer. All soldiers except the snipers had jackal armor, and two infantrymen had laser rifles. The shield guys with their pistols killed more than their share. The first shot with the rocketeer killed two aliens, which was a good start.

I haven't had a chance to play much this build, but if the geoscape's pretty much the same= it is possible to prevent most terror missions.

In my 19.6 playthrough, I had it to where I had one terror mission at the end of September, then was able to kill off every medium ship that would arrive in europe, africa, asia, and south america. get at least 6 foxtrots in the main base, then as you build new ones (3 hangars min), shift your planes gradually to the new bases as you make them.

There is some chance involved if they send something to new zealand or iceland etc. But geoscape control can drastically cut down on them until massive ships arrive (unless the geoscape's changed in 19.7, still have the same setup I did in my 19.6 playthrough, only a half-month behind).

Jackal armor is kinda fail vs rifles, so I echo what others have said: explosives, and cover. Deploy quickly so that you don't get trapped in the chinook. Throw smoke as far away from you as possible to block LOS w/out blinding yourself. Helps to destroy cover aliens can use to approach you w/ C4 too. And don't be afraid to wait a few turns at a time to let them come to you.

If you can, pack extra machine gun, and rockets on your riflemen: you'll need the extra to deal w/ destroying cover and aliens.

Love how reminiscent this game's getting of modded X-com/tftd.

I usually have 3-4+ UFO's spawn per wave near my main base on every playthrough I've done. 6 foxtrots= 1 per fighter, 2-3 per corvette, landingship, carrier etc. Usually end up using each foxtrot, and sometimes have to send out the first pair again for a fourth.

Besides, having six allows you to immediately stock a new base and start controlling that area and improve standing, rather than waiting a third of a month. I put three in bases that aren't too active, then 4 in ones that are.

I go with one base for 2 months, capture as many aliens as I can for the score/funding boost and hit every mission. I don't know what to tell you, I don't have a problem getting the hangars and foxtrots up. Been doing the standard 1st base in Egypt. As far as how I spend it's: Hangar, Hangar, Lab, Living Quarters initially, + 5 scientists.

From there my overall goal is to get 1 garage, research foxtrots asap, build one hunter, then devote the rest of my $ to getting 6 foxtrots at home. From there I build 6 suits of jackal armor. Then expand.

This build let me lock down the west half of eurasia. Once I had the 6 foxtrots, I built a base in indochina to cover australia a bit too. Having the six allowed me to send out three to knock down UFO's right as radar finished to make up for the 1 month delay in expanding, while still covering home.

I think the confusion over my post is that I'm doing a 'boom' build rather than a 'fast expand'. I build up until I feel secure, then expand, lock down the expansion area (meaning I can reliably kill any ships that show up), then expand a third, and usually final time.

As far as I know of your experiences, maybe I've just gotten lucky with UFO spawns w/ my playthroughs that they happen to like my starting area.

I think my "problem" is that I set up a second base in October. So you've put more $$ into the original base while I've spread out and increased my maintenance costs substantially. Also, I don't go to every single recovery because light scouts just get boring after first three or four. I still think we don't get enough money from the funding nations AND/OR the prices are generally too high for many items. You shouldn't have to go to every recovery OP to expand your operations, IMO. Yet, recovery OPs provide more funds than the nations do in any given month if you go to all of them. You'll get $50K - 80K from even a light scout mission plus experience. That's almost 10% of my monthly revenue from the nations for one mission! So, there is still a balance problem here.

Edited by StellarRat

Ah, I go to every single one. For me, I want that $$ and the extra TU's and stats each mission gives my soldiers. Being able to use armor on every soldier I have + a full loadout, including heavy weapons is important to me.

It does get tedious though. I think that further development to the AI and crew compositions would go a long way in alleviating this issue.

Where the heck did you come up with enough cash to build six hangers and six Foxtrots? I'm struggling to two bases up with three Foxtrots between them.

They don't cost that much more than condors. In the second month so far I have 4 foxtrots and 2 condors. Since alien weapons cost a lot more now, I've been getting lots of dosh.

I've not played a great deal of the current build, but in the last one I was building a third base at the end of month 2, so I could see focusing more on the first base giving those numbers of facilities. I always go after every UFO on the screen. Something that there's more of with 3 radar facilities, so it pays off that way too presumably.

They don't cost that much more than condors. In the second month so far I have 4 foxtrots and 2 condors. Since alien weapons cost a lot more now, I've been getting lots of dosh.
It isn't the cost of the Foxtrot vs. Condor, it's the cost of facilities and building/buying that many planes of any kind. Also, Condors are pretty worthless once Corvettes show up you might as well go all Foxtrots at that point.

Yeah, my goal is to kill every detected UFO. I'm just going slower to make sure I absolutely can do so immediately in every expansion area.

It's good that we're all able to play slightly differently. Makes discussions more rounded. Next build I'll start noting down when and what I build to be able to compare better w/ what others are doing.