Breaching Charges?

I've been using C4 to blow the doors on Lt. Scouts and Scouts (so far). I'm not sure why a special charge would particularly useful as the current C4 blast radius is not big to damage any internal components of the UFO. The only thing that gets damaged is the alien(s) taking your tickets :D and I don't consider that a problem.

Smaller radius would allow you to have soldiers closer to the door when the door blows. I'm not sure whether there'd be a big enough advantage to this, though - it would save you a few TUs opening the door (and, I guess, stop the door from closing again, if that matters at all) but not a lot else that I can think of. Might be more useful to put holes in the interior walls of a UFO (can you even do that?), though?

C4 does the job for breaching UFO doors, but what about making holes in "human" walls? What if I want to breach a house, make my own entrance into a courtyard, etc? C4's damage radius is much too big.
Is having too big a hole really a problem? You could place the charge further back from the wall if you don't like that.

Is having too big a hole really a problem? You could place the charge further back from the wall if you don't like that.

Well, I'd like to be able to set my guys up against the wall a few tiles away from the hole-to-be, blow it, then rush into the area through a small entryway. Blowing a gaping hole kinda defeats the purpose, because I want to still have the wall be used as a barrier and whatnot. It's like, why don't we just blow up the entire side of a building when breaching it in real life? Because it's still a useful wall, and there's no point in making a hole that big.

As far as putting the C4 farther away, that just sounds ridiculous (I know you're trying to help ;)) and if we have to do something that seems silly to get something simple done, then something's wrong.

Aaron said he didn't see the point of adding a separate breaching charge; I say that the point is to blow little one-man holes into walls without blowing up half the building (or half the street if you decide to put the C4 charge back a ways). Just name it "Breaching Charge" and leave the "C4 Charge" as it is. You could even reuse the same image, just paint the actual explosive part grey or something.

Well, I'd like to be able to set my guys up against the wall a few tiles away from the hole-to-be, blow it, then rush into the area through a small entryway. Blowing a gaping hole kinda defeats the purpose, because I want to still have the wall be used as a barrier and whatnot. It's like, why don't we just blow up the entire side of a building when breaching it in real life? Because it's still a useful wall, and there's no point in making a hole that big.

As far as putting the C4 farther away, that just sounds ridiculous (I know you're trying to help ;)) and if we have to do something that seems silly to get something simple done, then something's wrong.

Aaron said he didn't see the point of adding a separate breaching charge; I say that the point is to blow little one-man holes into walls without blowing up half the building (or half the street if you decide to put the C4 charge back a ways). Just name it "Breaching Charge" and leave the "C4 Charge" as it is. You could even reuse the same image, just paint the actual explosive part grey or something.

IRL, your guys would just rip a smaller piece off their C4 block or use a water charge or both or some det cord pasted to the wall.

I was going to give a nay for the breaching charge but after reading the posts... yeah... valid enough point. It is a fine line though... c4.. breaching charge... rocket launcher. I just figure there isn't enough need to include another explosive so closely related to the c4

I was going to give a nay for the breaching charge but after reading the posts... yeah... valid enough point. It is a fine line though... c4.. breaching charge... rocket launcher. I just figure there isn't enough need to include another explosive so closely related to the c4
I always use C4 because it has the largest and most powerful blast. It will kill any aliens hanging out close to the door. And my motto is "The only good alien is a dead alien."

IRL, your guys would just rip a smaller piece off their C4 block or use a water charge or both or some det cord pasted to the wall.

Wrong, ripping off a chunk of plastic explosive doesn't make it directional (which is what you want). Standing next to even a fist size of PE4 will hurt you big time. Where as a purpose built breaching charge allows for much closer proximity. Additionally det cord will not breach a wall alone, it would struggle to cleanly breach a wooden fence panel, its use is to link the explosives together if you have multiple charges and connect the detonator(s) (placed in the explosive)

We need this in game, It opens up a whole new dimension to the tactics available to us.

This is what I've been saying. A C4 (or other explosive) charge strong enough to take out a large section of wall (a metal one at that, for alien bases UFOs) would kill anything remotely close to it. "Tearing off a small piece" wouldn't do much more than hilarious scorch the surface, or knock a murderhole in a less sturdy, thinner wall. Aukflarer's right in that it takes a considerable amount of both PETN and set-up time to blow out even wooden doors, if you're not just busting hinges. It's a high-velocity detonation, sure, but you can quite a few yards to create a suitably powerful cut to breach an actual wall. Water charges are good enough for crap like wooden or hollow aluminum doors, or ones with weak doorframes. The explosives we see in-game are sufficient to defeat all of these, with collateral damage; getting rid of heavy, solid obstructions (like metal doors or thin walls) without destroying absolutely everything and everyone around the wall is with a thermal cutting device.

"Breaching charges" take out weak sections or entry barriers without a lot of collateral, or heavier and thicker ones with a massive potential amount of collateral; increasing or reducing the size or strength of the explosive more or less moves this from the latter to the former, or the former to the latter.

Edited by EchoFourDelta

Point blank machine gun. Perfect to make short work out of soon to be small holes. :D

In films yeah in reality not so much :)

I'm a combat engineer and deal with breaching charges, and demolitions for all situations (bridges - Bangalore torpedoes - mouse hole charges) I have even breached compounds in Afghanistan using half bar mines so my reference to my comments is me :) seriously though I can give dems calculations etc for anyone serious about creating an accurate mod. Notwithstanding the good work people have already done to create breaching charges.

In films yeah in reality not so much :)

I'm a combat engineer and deal with breaching charges, and demolitions for all situations (bridges - Bangalore torpedoes - mouse hole charges) I have even breached compounds in Afghanistan using half bar mines so my reference to my comments is me :) seriously though I can give dems calculations etc for anyone serious about creating an accurate mod. Notwithstanding the good work people have already done to create breaching charges.

I was talking about in game.

So, lets say that we want a charge that will destroy one wall section and half-destroy (crack, damage, whatever) the two wall section on either side, with minimal damage to anything outside of that radius. Is that possible? How would you go about that?