I just played the first mission with the new version 19.7 and what used to be a cakewalk is now deadly! I had to restart after losing 3 of my men and 3 others wounded. There are more early aliens and they are much more aggressive, and cannot be killed with a single shot. When one of my guys stood behind a door to a building that has always been empty in previous versions, an alien popped out and killed him.

Another time, an alien charged forward, fired TWO shots and a BURST (how many points do these guys have anyway?) and seriously wounded one soldier with the burst. NONE of my soldiers can now fire twice in one turn, whether with shotguns, rifles or sniper rifles.

Onn the first try, there were 3 aliens inside the ship, but every time the door opens and one soldier shows himself, he is subjected to two or three reaction fires and is either killed or seriously wounded.

In the second try, there were no aliens inside the ship, and I was helped that my rocketeer killed 3 with one shot that were bunched up near a fence. So I ended up with one seriously wounded soldier, which is acceptable. But I cringe to think what will happen later, with stronger aliens and research taking twice as long.

The AI may be functioning better in this build as it was previously being fed incorrect data.

The other stuff is intended to be more tense and random, but we may have overcooked it - so do let us know if it gets too much later on. But your descriptions of those two missions suggest the early game is operating much as intended now!

Well with start weapons it always took at least two shots to kill the first aliens. I still have yet to try the new build but I agree that it's a bit much if they can shoot 4 semi accurate shots in a row with a plasma rifle. All though that's what makes suppression very important.

Also I use one or two people with riot shields in the beginning that act as decoys and scouts. They're very handy.

the ai too hard! It seem troops that spent week training to go up to fight aliens are fools instead of train men. If you lf you leave cover, even in your turn you chance to die is 70% .when your far from them,out of cover from then the pop shot are 80 % chance to hit and kill. this build is not fair.

I've only played half a dozen missions so far, but the Sebellians seem a lot more brazen, especially when there are several of them in a group. I don't remember them charging into the open in v6 like they do now.

Alien craft breeches are a heck of a lot harder now in the earlier game, given that the aliens are harder to suppress with flashbangs. I think the riot shield might finally be getting some use.

Anyways, ground combat is definitely much more enjoyable so far.

Ok, so I tried my first night mission in insane(in this build), which of course is iron mode as well, and let me tell you this, I faced 7 aliens in the first mission, and there was like a group of 3-4 aliens hiding behind obstacles and trying to flank my xenonauts constantly.

3 of my operatives died, but I am extremely happy on how it actually turned out, despite of some of my mistakes.

Also the the flares look really neat.

Really liking the fact, that the aliens dont stick to the same location like they used before, they try and find new spots so they can actually take cover, it kinda creates some frustation for the player, because he needs to approach the aliens in order to kill them, extensive use of flashbangs and grenades is required.

Also the shotgun at very close range is pretty much a guaranteed kill, whoever I ended up killing my operative thinking that my 56% chance shot would be enough to finish of the aliens off, I will upload the mission later to youtube I guess.

Edited by SteelSoldier

Well hello... Having tough times with primary job activities.... I finally take a break and return to anti-alien war. So... what do I see in starting over the build 7. No Russian soldiers. Is it a joke? Restarted game 3 times. Can it be fixed? By the way I start game in Soviet Union, I live in Russia myself in real life, so here is the summary of my post: WTF? ;)

It is not funny guys. 7 times restart, no Russians. Was it your desire to put some Nazi patch in final build?

Edited by Jemar

Oh, it's very funny that someone gets worked up about a non-existant issue.

Open solidernames.xml

Do a search for "soviet union"

You'll find over 30 russian first and last names.

What you'll also find is there's a lot more names than when you last played.

Want fewer names?

Carry out a purge. Delete all the names you don't like. Imagine you're a dictator, sentencing all the names to death. I'm sure you'll feel much better when there are only purely russian names.

Your idea is good. But I do not like dictatorship manner that you mentioned.

I feel very strange when in 10 soldiers 6 are Americans, 2 Canadians and 2 for other countries (Germany, Spain, Swiss).

I think the balance of countries is very good in XCOM (2012).

By the way the balance of country presence could be more realistic.

2 Super Powers. NATO and Warshaw Pact. 4 soldiers for each. 2 remaining - for random other countries.

What do you think?

This your irony is strange: I'm sure you'll feel much better when there are only purely russian names.

I liked previous balance of names. Where 1-2 Russians appeared in any start.

Edited by Jemar

Jemar, as you were upset because you didn't get any russian names, any method which portions up names in any other way that totally at random will inevitably upset someone who may never get the name they want, or (more likely) get names of countries they personally don't like. Anyone whose country has suffered at the hands of another country, either through history or more recently are unlikely to be especially happy to have even digital representations of that country in their team. In the current system, some names are more likely to appear than other. Ironically, Soviet Union names are (on paper) the second most likely name to appear. Ultimately, I believe a completely even chance of any country being selected is the least offensive way of doing it.

OK,, I have played to Oct 5, and it is not so bad, although different. The rocketeer is now much more useful and I am using two shields with pistols (one is strong enough to have a shotgun too). Snipers can shoot almost across the map, so can be left behind out of danger. Shotguns are deadly entering the alien ships. Pistols are pretty good and my shield guys are getting kills with them, since they can shoot multiple times. My group is two shields with pistols (shotguns), two snipers, one rocketeer, on LMG and the rest riflemen.

I was unlucky in my first mission described in the OP, where an alien killed my shield guy with a single burst. Now my shield guys have survived close-up shots from inside the ship that destroyed the shield without harming the soldier.I am not getting any more casualties than in previous versions (maybe I play better?).

I cannot have a vehicle because I added scientists and technicians and hangars and did not leave a 2x2 area for the garage...DUH!

The doubled research tie can be compensated fine by using 20 scientists and 20 techs.