How do YOU assault alien bases/ships?

1c4 + rockets for the first room

1c4 + smoke for the last room (if u have to capture them, else you can just snipe them down from outside in a couple of turns).

Just be prepared to lose soldiers if you get within grenade range ...

I find alien bases to be quite easy tbh, you know where the aliens are and they can only come from one direction. Base defences are much harder especially if you get unlucky with enemy placement

I find combat shields to be extremely useful. I only didn't mention it earlier as I didn't see it being used in that mission.

The combat shields have saved me many soldiers in entering UFOs, in scouting into awkward areas and in shielding other soldiers across areas of the map with little cover. The pistol has also proven to be effective as a suppression weapon. I'd not use the pistol without the shield.

I'm a shield assault guy myself. I have two of them on each Charlie team and they both carry an extra shield and a shock baton.

I feel like opening and closing doors repeatedly is a fair tactic for two reasons:

1) It feels like an actual viable tactic in real life: bust open the door, unload, close the door and hide.

2) Generally there are a boatload of Androns and Harridans on the other side of the door waiting to unload into me with reaction fire. This is when I abuse save and reload.

• 2 years later...

The way I assault alien scum-ships is that I always have 2 assault troopers and a shield dude, because I have the mod Fire In The Hole, my assault troppas have breaching charges. If I encounter too many aliens or the front door has too little cover, I simply run my soilders to the side of the UFO, have an assault troop set up the charge, and once the hole has been blown, then have everyone take shots at any scum they can take shots at, then I move the assault troopers to point-blank shotgun hiding aliens. If there is more than one room, place the team into cover behind room in question, then move the shield up to the door and have shotgunners behind. Rinse and repeat. The shotgunners and shields have the best armor, so they can survive, I'm not the "cannon-fodder" kind of person.

• 3 months later...

This is how i knock

TZCSf4e.jpg

2xShields

2xAssaults

1xHeavy

1xGrenadier\medic

or if i expect heavy resistance

sOnMqgC.jpg

The shields open the door, then the snipers\rocketeers and heavy goes ballistic before the grenadiers\assaults finish the job. works like charm!

Edited by Siegemind