How do YOU assault alien bases/ships?

I like the Breach, and Heavy Weapons guys being the last to be able to get armour and effectively use their equipment. It seemed like a decent trade off.

Even if over encumbered with both armour and shield, it means that the breach soldier is there to get into UFOs and unknown areas. They won't be used as scouts to protect others across the fields if they can't move as fast. This doesn't seem like a bad move either. Having a scout with a shield always seemed silly.

So, I know that there's a combat shield replacement later on; can we maybe get that earlier, and have a third shield later on? There are currently three tiers of armor: basic/jackal, buzzard/wolf, sentinel/predator, so shouldn't we get three tiers of shields as well? I'd appreciate not having to use outdated technology with my fancy tier two armors while waiting for assault shields to show up.

do flashbangs not work against androns and other supresion resistant enemies?

Do stun grenades work on androns or are they just imune to everything of supression and stun damage and only take "real damage"

I do not have the game yet becous i'm waiting for new laptop to arrive so i can play it :P

And in the end aren't these moments supposed to be the most dangerous ones and the ones in wich you lose the biggest amount of men anyway?

I'd use recruits to go in 1st or low ranking/expandable soldiers to "soak up" the reaction fire so that when the big boys come in they are somewhat safe

Did anyone know that vehicles can enter UFOs? I didn't until just 10 minutes ago. I also didn't know that all the props inside a UFO are crushable, meaning a vehicle can go wherever the hell it likes. I can't wait for the Scimitar. THAT's gonna be my breacher!
I figured they could, but I haven't used one that way, yet. They could in the OG too, but the couldn't enter narrow halls which made them very limited inside any UFO or base. Plus many UFOs in the OG didn't have doors that were wide enough to allow them to enter. Of course, in the OG you could blast additional holes in a UFO hull so if you were really determined you could make them fit. I do miss that about this game.

Now that is a novel idea, could be costly though. I'll have to try sending a vehicle into a corvette when I get a chance to play.

Vehicle Idea: Might be nice to have the option of removing the turret from a vehicle to increase its armor.

Random Smoke Idea: Have light+ heavy droids, and androns be able to see through it since they have multispectrum vision.

Might open up the option for an advanced smoke grenade they CAN"T see through ; )

I have been trying around with the V19.7 and the approach to an and into an UFO.

I always use 2 guys with combatshields, covered in smoke. In my squad the combatshield is the job with a 100% casualties -- in v.7 they are always hit, I have not seen the shield helping them in any way. There are 3 ways how they die: Either they move in front with the shield and are shot, which the shield does not deflect, but the shot passes the shield and hits the soldier directly. Or they turn around and are hit on the side, where no shield is, i.e. at points where they have to turn left/right in a corner. Or they move in the smoke and although there should not be any LOS they are hit by reactionfire and die.

So I am looking for some answers, how to approach anything without making some crude manoevers. At least I have to watch beside a corner to get any sight, but it almost always costs me a soldiers.

Edited by Sherelian

Do not open the door with the shield man, but another soldier standing on the side, and at least in the early game, the aliens will usually not shoot when the door opens if the shield men do not move. Then blast the aliens with the shield men pistols, then close the door again. My shieldmen are rarely hurt when I do this. A shotgun will do more damage, but he has to remove the shield which can be fatal. If the shieldmen have Jackal armor in addition to the shield, alien shots do little damage. This couild change in the later game when the aliens get plasma cannons.

Henri, none of the things you wrote do answer to my issues. I tried to point where the trouble with the shield is: it does not help against most of the common shots, either the shot passes the shield or the shield does not show exactly in the direction of the fire. The latter will occure in UFOs, because the reaction-fire will be as well frontal as edgewise.

It does not matter, who opens the door, as the opening itself does not trigger any reaction-fire. Threwing granedes on the other hand does and the shieldguys will suck the damage either when they stay there or when they move in.

shoot doors open w/ gunfire: don't open them manually. You're just asking to be shot. I don't use c4 on doors since I like the $$ from equipment, and it doesn't take all that much fire to breach them.

This method allows you to hang back for a few turns railing aliens w/ fire at a distance before entering, rather than having your men face-to-face w/ them.

I've currently had 0 luck with shields in the new update. Plonk a Cpl of ppl with pistols and shields in front of a door.. pop it open and they're both dead by reaction fire... and that's just the light scouts at the start of the game. Lost 4 consecutive ppl so far and I don't think they shields have blocked one shot. Put them in both primary and secondary slots as well. Smoke is also not very effective at all for me :)

• 3 months later...

I've still never used a combat shield. I'm used to the old builds where they were bugged and with them not being in the OG X-Com so I just never factored them into any of my battle strategies. That picture in the OP definitely looks like a bad situation without enough firepower left.

Did the aliens ramp up how fast Androns are introduced or did you just take a lot of un-armored troops into battle?

In the first round i tend to blow up the door using C4 and some in yellow range positioned snipers and rocket launchers to clear out the entrance room.

Afterwards smokegrenades, ballistic shields to storm in and assault rifles (or their better equivalence), flash bangs or other supression weapons to deal with alien resistance... and bring loads of smokegrenades they are immensly useful.

I usually either stack up outside the door and send a shield guy to open it at an angle or stack up outside the door and blow it open with C4.

Interior doors are useful to the Xenonauts currently because the alien AI has no fucking clue how to handle them. You can stack your entire landing team up at range, tell one shield dude to open the door, have everyone unload, then tell the same shield guy to close the door when everyone's finished shooting. End turn, repeat.

If the aliens camp out during their turn, you get another free round of massed shooting. If the aliens try to open the door, they do so by charging en masse at the doorway, ending their turn two steps inside the room with 0 TUs in reserve.

The first problem can be solved by implementing a delay on how often a door can be opened or closed. Perhaps, if opened, a door must stay open for a full turn (or two) before it can be closed? The second problem requires some sort of AI script to let aliens know it's a bad idea to open a door when the entire rest of the squad just ran fifty meters down a hallway.

I do that a lot, open door with a guy from the side fire away with a front line of kneeled shields and a back line of shotguns. close door and end turn. I've found the aliens tend to walk up to the door and end their turn to get shotgunned in the face when I open the door on the second turn. very kind of them. I think the tactic is lame and I wish it didn't work but I can't resist using it since it does work well and I feel its less of an exploit than lobbing grenades through ufo roofs like they are not there.

one of these days aliens will learn to use grenades and my 5 or 6 man door opening team is going to get blown to smithereens.

Take no chances. Use your Can Opener (the massive tube that fire big boom-things)..

Line up all your Boomtubes and BigDakkaDakkas in the front of the Ufo.. then blast away, throw grenades, wreck everything - reduce the ufo to rubble, smoke and fire and every alien within into a fine paste.

Optional approach - dump a few smoke grenades down and shove a shockstick in their face.

Take no chances. Use your Can Opener (the massive tube that fire big boom-things)..

Line up all your Boomtubes and BigDakkaDakkas in the front of the Ufo.. then blast away, throw grenades, wreck everything - reduce the ufo to rubble, smoke and fire and every alien within into a fine paste.

Optional approach - dump a few smoke grenades down and shove a shockstick in their face.

tumblr_ma06ndxTaN1rdqbfro1_500.gif

Man mode:

All Assault shields and cattle prods. ALL THE TIME.