Androns have substantially more sight range than humans, is this correct?

Are aliens affected by darkness? I was under the impression (or simply never bothered to question the fact!) that aliens were supposed to have perfect night vision a la OG.

EDIT: Ah - by 'out of the darkness' you possibly don't mean that, do you? I.e., you mean the areas you've not explored yet. Sorry.

Are aliens affected by darkness? I was under the impression (or simply never bothered to question the fact!) that aliens were supposed to have perfect night vision a la OG.

EDIT: Ah - by 'out of the darkness' you possibly don't mean that, do you? I.e., you mean the areas you've not explored yet. Sorry.

Yes, it was a daylight mission. They were firing from the unexplored area, so by definition they could see further than my troops. I'd say about 3 or 4 tiles further. No alien squad sight was involved.

According to aiprops.xml, Androns should have sight 18 (which is the same as soldiers, I think). I'm wondering whether this could be a manifestation of the (try-to-)shoot-through-walls bug - in both instances aliens are shooting when they should have no sight, only in this instance there's nothing blocking the shot.

According to aiprops.xml, Androns should have sight 18 (which is the same as soldiers, I think). I'm wondering whether this could be a manifestation of the (try-to-)shoot-through-walls bug - in both instances aliens are shooting when they should have no sight, only in this instance there's nothing blocking the shot.
Actually, now that I think about this, there was something blocking the shot. The Chinook was between my guys and the aliens. If it doesn't count those tiles in the distance calcs then everything starts to make sense. I wonder if smoke works the same way i.e. not counted.

Actually, now that I think about this, there was something blocking the shot. The Chinook was between my guys and the aliens. If it doesn't count those tiles in the distance calcs then everything starts to make sense. I wonder if smoke works the same way i.e. not counted.

But this is known issue. Aliens "see" through objects. They dont need to be in line of sight, it is enough to be in sight range. If you are in their sight range, then any obstacles are ignored. Thats how it happens in alien bases or in UFOs or when they shoot from other side of wall or from behind Chinook. At least this is happens in my games.

But this is known issue. Aliens "see" through objects. They dont need to be in line of sight, it is enough to be in sight range. If you are in their sight range, then any obstacles are ignored. Thats how it happens in alien bases or in UFOs or when they shoot from other side of wall or from behind Chinook. At least this is happens in my games.

Right but I'm starting think that the extra distance of object isn't counted for sight range. So, if the Chinook is four tiles wide it doesn't add that into the sight distance. They gain four sight range effectively

Right but I'm starting think that the extra distance of object isn't counted for sight range. So, if the Chinook is four tiles wide it doesn't add that into the sight distance. They gain four sight range effectively

I wonder did you explore area around Chinook to be 100% sure that alien shooting from further away? Too bad you dont have screenshot. Some alien officers have ability "locate enemy", maybe it works like squad sight ?