Cooldown for big guns

a333

Can we have additional (preferrably moddable) characteristic for the weapon — cooldown time?

When you take a vehicle on the battlefield, there aren't much choices to take. You see the target — you shoot your cannon. Usually there's no drawbacks except for the ammo, and AP cost has its borders, since you can't take more AP for firing than the vehicle total AP capacity. Usually it's one-two shots per turn depending on weapon.

Adding the cooldown will allow to expand that border over several turns, possibly allowing to balance realistic heavy-damage weapons and compensating the lack of clip reloading mechanic in the vehicles. The player will get additional choice: shoot main caliber or save it in case of the heavily armored or safely covered target will appear, relying on different means to destroy current enemy. After the firing, again, you will have to decide leaving your tank as a cover, while it's unable to fire, or retreat for a time of reloading/cooling.

Also this will seriously benefit modders, especially alternate vehicle weapons like Max's Grease Pit. If the cooldown characteristic will be appliable on any weapon, it will allow infantry to use otherwise unbalanceable weapons too (It will further expand reloading AP cost balancier).

Alien AI can react to shooting from such weapon as the opportunity window to counterattack on weakened team, and so on.

P.S.: You are probably already have this mechanics used with the psionic abilities, right? And wraith randomblinking can "benefit" from this too.

Edited by a333

Science team? Who said that the weapons are made by the science team? They are made in engineering dept, that's why they sometimes need to be reloaded. Fortunately, that's also why they don't melt themselves after the first shot.

• 2 weeks later...
The science team is not going to make weapons that are incapable of firing more than once or twice every six seconds. Which is about what one turn is in realtime: six seconds.

Tanks guns generally take a bit more than 6 seconds to fire. It takes more than 6 seconds to reload a Bradley's TOW launcher. Crap, I have trouble sometimes reloading an M-1 Grande in 6 seconds. Darned M-1 thumb...

Tanks guns generally take a bit more than 6 seconds to fire. It takes more than 6 seconds to reload a Bradley's TOW launcher. Crap, I have trouble sometimes reloading an M-1 Grande in 6 seconds. Darned M-1 thumb...

We got tanks now? last time i checked we got a bi .50 calibers as a turret or a 4 RPG launcher.

I don t even bother with them way too fragile and once gone you team suffer too much. 8man is the way (for me)