• 4 weeks later...

I'm in a base now, if I ever get out of the entry room, I'll post a pic.

You know, I never noticed the colored thingies up above the doors in an alien base until now. Does that mean a red one is locked? Or are those flavor only?

Edited by Ishantil

I think you're supposed to handle some of the alien base missions by sneaking through the ventilation system, neutralizing the reactor, and sneaking out, as opposed to just strolling down the hallway and shooting everything you see. The Xenopedia hints at this. Most of the bases that I've encountered are staffed by at least a dozen warriors or elites (plus terror units); I can't imagine that you're expected to clear all of those out in their entirety.

It's not that bad (aside from alien plasma shotgun). When you get plasmacasters (plasma machinegun) you can really start to go to town on alien bases.

Shoot the doors open and slowly kill everything that pops out, then slowly work closer to the room and work the angles. Load down your machine gunners w/ only ammo. Remember, you can shoot cover down to get at aliens. The plasmacasters work far better than rocket launchers in bases, since you can carry way more ammo.

BTW, there's no way to 'sneak' in. Once you get to the reactor= you've likely had to kill half the base. Might as well get the whole thing. Remember, take your time and make your squad machine-gun focused for bases.

I don't even have a scatter laser yet. Just laser rifles and laser carbines. And a rocket launcher with a lot of Alenium rockets.

I am still using ballistic weapons (except for Precision Laser), holding out for plasma research that is just about finished. I've taken out 4 alien bases, and I have suffered near 50% casualties each time, but even having to re-hire and re-train the personnel, it's cheaper to hire new meat for the grinder than to produce full laser equipment. Especially because I make sure that only Privates/Corporals are in danger of dying, so the survivors have managed to last throughout. I figure sending someone in as combat scout is the Xenonaut method of hazing.

I've found the command room to actually be the easiest room to take without loss, which seems backward to me.

I'd blow one door and force the aliens to come to you while your all positioned behind cover in the "Great Room". BTW, I load up tons of C4 when attacking bases. Some of those rooms are deadly to enter. If you just blow them up the aliens have less cover to hide behind and your guys outside can pick them off. Advancing into the second set of rooms from the Great Room even with smoke can be very costly. Also, some of those doors can take three charges to blow, hence an additional reason for a lot of C4.

Stellar knows what's up. You can do the same thing I described above with ballistic machineguns if you wanted (good luck). But for the cost, a scatter laser does make a huge difference.

And I do doubt that it's cheaper to suffer 50% casualties each time, especially if you're throwing armor on them. You have to look at bases and terror sites a lot differently than grounded UFO's. You aren't there to salvage, you're there to kill aliens asap without endangering your men. Rockets, machineguns, smokes, and C4 are your go-to tools.

This is one case where I wouldn't recommend a vehicle, since you need the extra rockets that 2 men can carry. Take your time and bring extra ammo for all your troops. I also recommend shooting through cover rather than trying to flank in one room. C4, like Stellar mentioned, is great for saying hi when breaching a door.

I also recommend shooting through smoke with your machine gunners and rocketeers if you have an idea of where the aliens are taking cover in a room, but don't want reaction fire.

You can try to save money in the short term, but getting lasers is very useful for when you eventually split your squads into 2 separate ones later in the game. You can give the rookies the lasers. It also makes it far easier to do alien bases and will allow you to actually get a squad of veterans that you can split off to lead a second squad.

With the additional money people have in the beginning of the game, I really wonder why they're skipping a tier of weapons that they could finish the game with. Lasers are far better than ballistics. At least give your snipers and machine gunners the upgrade.

This is one case where I wouldn't recommend a vehicle, since you need the extra rockets that 2 men can carry.
There is a bug right now that prevents vehicles from moving through damaged floor tiles and doors. So, even if it was worth it, it doesn't work, at least not for me. If it did work, I might try it just to see if a vehicle could do some good. The pulse laser is a very good weapon and even if you ran out of ammo after clearing the Great Hall and one of the second rooms, it might well be worth it. I've never got through a base mission without casualties. If the vehicle would make that possible I'd try it at least.

I have a rocket launcher and five or so rockets left, I think. I'm finding that it takes a lot more firepower to blow open a door than I was anticipating (and I don't have a machine gun, I replaced it with a laser rifle).

All of my guys did start with six laser batteries, though. So we're good to go on that...probably.