Medkits

I second the motion!

So, to clarify, how is stun damage done? How does it work?

What I think it might be, there's your HP. Lethal damage depletes your HP, non-lethal stun damage does not. Once your non-lethal damage is the same as your current HP, you're stunned. So, a 100HP soldier can either take 100 non-lethal stun damage, or he could take 99 lethal damage and 1 stun damage.

So, we could make medkits give XHP and remove X stun damage as well.

So, a 5HP heal would remove 5 stun damage as well.

Edited by GizmoGomez

If it were t happen for Xenonauts, then it should happen for the aliens. It would be unbalancing otherwise. Particularly as one of the alien species has a regenerative ability.

You could argue that the stun gas is specifically tailored for the aliens, and that it has no effect on humans though. But I'd prefer the balance.

Well, Thothkins, medikits can already wake stunned people up.

I remember someone on the forums reported that he had an injured soldier standing on top of a stunned alien. He healed the soldier, and he saw the little green heal numbers for the soldier and for the alien too.

He moved the soldier, and ended the turn. Next turn, the alien was awake again.

I'm thinking that the game has a system similar to the one I outlined in my previous comment (I edited it and added more, so you may not have read it), and thus the alien's HP was low enough, and the stun damage high enough, that it was knocked out. Then, when the soldier healed his wounded comrade, the alien (who was in the same square) got healed too; either the healing takes away stun damage as well as taking away normal damage, or it just removed enough normal damage that he was brought back from the sleep.

wasn't that considered a bug though?

I'd be looking for alien recovery before human. Considering how X-Com games go on about how much more advanced the alien control over biological functions is. They can apparently sit through over long, blockbuster movies without even needing to go to the toilet, that's how much they've mastered it. I can't imagine their abilities of engineering lifeforms being outdone by a couple of human band aids and some morphine.

But it's mainly about the balance.

No objections to your stun system, Gizmo. I consider your edited posts as directors cut versions of the originals :) But the aliens should get some natural abilities to compensate for them not having medics or first aid kits.

Well, we have medkits and they don't already; is that unbalanced at the moment?

Also, the aliens don't stun guys, do they?

Unless I am mistaken, the anti-stun bandaid in the medkit would be for the occasions when you accidentally stun your own guy and would rather he not stay down. Thus, it wouldn't be reducing the alien's effectiveness (they still can kill you just as easily with their own efforts). The change would simply be reducing an indirect, potential advantage the aliens could have under certain circumstances (if you were to accidentally stun your own soldier; that wasn't due to the aliens' actions; that was you).

Actually, it is an imbalance. Something I was hoping that the Sebillians would counter with regenerative abilities (a la Crimson Dagger)

Having a Carrier run an Abduction mission would be superb :) They gas your soldiers. It equates to a loss, but there could even be a follow up rescue mission a la Aliens.

If you stun your own guy by accident, then that's just tough for the rest of the mission. Just as shooting him in the back of the head by accident and killing him wouldn't be undone either. It's like having an undo button, that takes some TUs away to activate.

Well, we have medkits and they don't already; is that unbalanced at the moment?

Also, the aliens don't stun guys, do they?

Unless I am mistaken, the anti-stun bandaid in the medkit would be for the occasions when you accidentally stun your own guy and would rather he not stay down. Thus, it wouldn't be reducing the alien's effectiveness (they still can kill you just as easily with their own efforts). The change would simply be reducing an indirect, potential advantage the aliens could have under certain circumstances (if you were to accidentally stun your own soldier; that wasn't due to the aliens' actions; that was you).

In original Xcom (mainly TFTD in my experience) You could need to un-stun in more occasions apart of accidental friendly stuning (wich needed a full or more medkit). As fire and smoke lasted quite a lot and massive destruction was quite usual, your soldiers could stack important amounts of "stun" and when wounded the hp would fall below stun level and you had an stuned soldier in the line of fire or inside a burning building, who needed evac ASAP, creating some tense/fun moments trying to get the sleeper to safety. We need MOAR of this in xenonauts.

• 3 weeks later...

What about stims? Like, a really, really, really, low weight pack of needles that can be researched super early that allow the Xenonauts to get one time uses out of them which either wake up a sleeping 'naut, or give them a temporary increase in TU's/Bravery. The big cost would be that they screw with the body, so it lowers the chances of leveling up stats on mission completion.

It's in addition to Medkits, which have all the stuff needed for patching up wounds, while this is a specific drug cocktail the scientists develop based on Caesan blood or something.

• 3 months later...

I think what Valentine means is that as it is now, you don't really need a designated medic as all regular rifle and assault guys are able to carry medikits with ease. If there was something more heavy but effective that would be hard for regular troops to carry, it would make more sense to use medic as a seperate role...? Maybe something like defribrilators to bring critically wounded (almost dead) units back to life or something?

I would call it a stun gas antidote though, just because some countries don't like to promote drug use by allowing 'stimulants' in their games...

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/update-state-of-decay-banned-for-explicit-use-of-illicit-drugs/

Maybe a field surgical kit or something similar that would recover some hitpoints on top of the ones a normal medkit would bring back.

Make it bulky or heavy so you are discouraged from taking one for everyone as there are no training requirements for equipment.

I would call it a stun gas antidote though, just because some countries don't like to promote drug use by allowing 'stimulants' in their games...

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/update-state-of-decay-banned-for-explicit-use-of-illicit-drugs/

There are medical and military uses for stimulants. They are not always "illicit", but I can see your point.