So I was doing a terror mission when I saw a really strange alien with a purple shirt and pistol (as a posed to rifles or other higher tier weapons) So I knock it out and learn its a psionic alien but the end mission report said Destroyed. So do psionics (for humans) exist in Xenonauts or is capturing aliens just worthless after the first one.

Its not worthless, you do unlock a research for each species you capture, which increases your troops damage against the type.

As for human psionics... I need to add that to my rant, we need human psionics! :o

Edit: oh you meant the first one of each, yes after that its just bonus points... I just capture anything that moves in my face and shoot those that stay at range lol.

Edited by ViniJones

I find the funding from countries rather comical and the influence of a +7 or so per mission doesnt change the fact, that 70% of my income is crashsites. But like Ive said, if the opportunity presents itself(stun baton still brings targets down faster than plasma fire) I take it.

70% of your disposable income may be from crashsites, but who pays the bills? You? The funding council does that, so it benefits you to do missions and maximise your points to make expansion as easy as possible. The monthly upkeep for my 3 bases in November is currently topping out at $1,400,000. I'm pulling in $1,700,000 and that's because I've got as many captives as possible.

Not in the slightest, let me set an example from feb the 9th. Here is the situation:

4 bases across euro-asia

Upkeep: 1,9m

The council covers 1,7m of that

North, South America and Europe are out of the council(not sure whats up with the europeans :o)

Im sitting on 2,5m in the bank and still have about 5 more UFO waves to come this month, each yielding up to 1m depending on how many air superiority fighters show up, cause those dont leave crashsites :S)

Im playing on Insane, no idea whether it affects something here or not.

Not saying your plan doesnt work, just saying that it might be too much effort for too little a gain.

If for example I go risking my troops to stun baton some baddies that have friends and lose them, I dont have enough high TU units to get to clean the hard crashsites that easily bring in 300-400k.

Edited by ViniJones

Countries leave if those points arent paid enough attention and that starts to add up depending on when you loose them.

Granted it isnt the end of the world...until you loose enough countries so that it is.

Shock Grenades = 60 Stun

Stun Batons = 80

Better off really just tossing grenades.

I dont know, 3 hits with a baton work.. where do I get TUs for throwing 4 nades at once, when my TUs are limited to 101?

And to further push my point, better off only capturing when not risking, no matter the method. I think the Europeans decided to leave the council weeks before I started patrolling them. I did clean their spawnpoints, although its possible a base stayed there for a month too long.

I dont know, 3 hits with a baton work.. where do I get TUs for throwing 4 nades at once, when my TUs are limited to 101?

And to further push my point, better off only capturing when not risking, no matter the method. I think the Europeans decided to leave the council weeks before I started patrolling them. I did clean their spawnpoints, although its possible a base stayed there for a month too long.

Yeah the bases are crazy, they can ruin a country in a month or two.

Well you should be able to toss 3 grenades....even 2 is reasonable for soldiers with a few missions under their belts.

yeah, it's down to people being able to mind control the aliens in EU1994 so easily. It was quite an exploit, and once the devs wanted to prevent in Xenonauts. Which is fine, as my favourite parts of psionics in EU1994 were the first attempts at trying to get it right and succeeding in the low level stuff. Which is why I'd like much more of that, as posted here.

It's important that the aliens retain their superiority though. By quite a margin too. It' was a stretch goal, so there's always that little hope that the devs will be able to leave something for the community to build on following release.

yeah, it's down to people being able to mind control the aliens in EU1994 so easily. It was quite an exploit, and once the devs wanted to prevent in Xenonauts.

This.

I thought use of psionics was a bit cheesy in original Xcom and am glad to see Xenonauts (so far) is not going down that road. I would have nothing against a system like in the recent Xcom update, Enemy Unknown - psionic use for the player seemed to be very limited in scope, and you were not able to do the crazy things like you could in the original.

Yeah the bases are crazy, they can ruin a country in a month or two.

Well you should be able to toss 3 grenades....even 2 is reasonable for soldiers with a few missions under their belts.

Well guess what, some aliens need 4 or more shock nades to be stunned. Stun baton is faster and more reliable. I think that if you wanna go 2-3 soldiers using their whole turn to subdue one guy for a +1, theres something wrong with you.. I bet youre using Corsairs. :D

As Ive stated yesterday, Id love to see human psionics, no need for mind controling, but decreasing the enemy bravery, like aliens do could be fun.

Well guess what, some aliens need 4 or more shock nades to be stunned. Stun baton is faster and more reliable. I think that if you wanna go 2-3 soldiers using their whole turn to subdue one guy for a +1, theres something wrong with you.. I bet youre using Corsairs. :D

As Ive stated yesterday, Id love to see human psionics, no need for mind controling, but decreasing the enemy bravery, like aliens do could be fun.

If you see an Alien, depending, you could just risk running up to it and petting it. Not the smartest thing to do before suppressing it tho.

So the TU used to suppress, added to the TU used to run up to the Alien...vs just tossing a grenade at 20 TUs (5 more than a swing)....the Shock grenades have high suppression as well.

Seems more efficient to me.

And who cares how many Soldiers you use to subdue 1 Alien? If thats the only one around what difference does it make?

No I dont use Corsairs, lets leave the insults out of the convo.

But in any case, I try to knock them out when I can, and do a decent job of it. Never lost a country yet on 6 playthroughs

If you see an Alien, depending, you could just risk running up to it and petting it. Not the smartest thing to do before suppressing it tho.

I dont run up to it from the front, it runs up to me and leaves no TUs for reaction sometimes. (Especially Caesians do that, not more than once a mission though)

So the TU used to suppress, added to the TU used to run up to the Alien...vs just tossing a grenade at 20 TUs (5 more than a swing)....the Shock grenades have high suppression as well.

I only baton aliens, that have already survived the volleys intended to kill them, this leaves them suppresed most of the time. :)

I dont have designated grenadiers so a shock grenade toss costs 32 TU. I do use them for supression, they work well... unlike flashbangs.

And who cares how many Soldiers you use to subdue 1 Alien? If thats the only one around what difference does it make?

I agree with this, if its the only target and you wanna waste time taking it alive, its good for your health in the long run.

No I dont use Corsairs,..

You dont? Weird I had you painted for a mass Corsair the second I saw you.

...lets leave the insults out of the convo.

Lets not

But in any case, I try to knock them out when I can, and do a decent job of it. Never lost a country yet on 6 playthroughs

I have lost as many as 3 on a few occasions, to my defense I did play more than 6 times. The first few tries were embarassing to say the least.

@ViniJones

I dont have designated grenadiers either.

Anyways, grenades cost 30 TUs to throw if you arent using them 1 handed. The 32 you mentioned is because you attempted to toss it without facing the Alien. (The tossing TU cost has turning built in)

Again either way the volleys intended to kill them, could have just been shock grenades and you wouldnt get to the point of being able to use the baton...as they'd already be unconscious.

Batons are good for UFOs if you suppress and then run in, but I'd still rather wait outside, and close the door and be safe, vs over extending my guys inside a ship and run the risk that an Alien opens a door and shoots them.

Different people play differently tho, thats what makes the game fun.

I just minimize risk, and attempt to do what needs to be done safely, and in as few moves as possible. Batons do more stun, but they ARE more risky to use in the majority of cases.

Anyone using a grenade one-handed is a designated grenadier in my book. Im all about minimizing risks, I think we all are. Trouble is you would stun your mother if it brought a +1 relations... Actually so would I.

Corsairs need stun rockets added. You know, so the country can be all warm and fuzzy youre bringing more and more live aliens.

Anyone using a grenade one-handed is a designated grenadier in my book. Im all about minimizing risks, I think we all are. Trouble is you would stun your mother if it brought a +1 relations... Actually so would I.

Corsairs need stun rockets added. You know, so the country can be all warm and fuzzy youre bringing more and more live aliens.

Well...if you put your weapon on the ground...it removes the 2-hand penalty.

(Dropping your weapon costs 0 TUs if you had not noticed)