Max's Grease Pit (Vehicle custom jobs are our speciality!)

Max_Caine

Straight after I started on the Scimitar, I learnt that yes, you can have more than one secondary weapon in the list. In any case, for people who want to try out the new toys NOW, here's a savegame with the Scimitar and the Hyperion built. I'm just into plasma weapons, got some nicely built-up bases, a Shrike, and a bit of cash to be getting on with. It took a while as I had one hell of a meat grinder base mission to do first.

The savegame. Have fun!

Within legal limits.

*Puts down rope, gag and xml listings with dissapointment*

Did someone think about adding the cooldown to the main weapon, for, like, three turns or so? That would encourage using secondary weapons, saving main caliber ready for appropriate targets, like androns/drones.

TU restriction alone is very stiff. I'm almost always choose to shot most powerful weapon with the most accurate mode available.

@Ishantli: Unfortunately there isn't. Ultimately, what we as modders need to do is get together and thrash out what mods can be safely unified with others, come to some kind of agreement and produce a variety of unification mods. However, I can only see that really working when the game is stable (i.e. v19 stable), as it would be WAAAAAY too much hassle to keep updating the unimods each time a new version is out. What I shall do is unify the ACA with the Grease Pit, as neither are antagonistic (i.e. they don't overwrite each other).

@a333: That's a good idea. Suggest it in the beta forum?

EDIT 2: The comon problem I see with different mods are items.xml and strings.xml, as these two files are used in a lot of mods. items.xml perhaps not so much as there are things you can do without it, but strings you use pretty much everywhere. For example, the ACA and the Grease Pit both use strings.xml, so you have to incorporate both into one.

Edited by Max_Caine
trash, not trash

Great work on your mod! I'm very much looking forward to using the tank...uh...whenever it is you get it.

I'm going to post a general question outside this topic to keep the clutter out of it. I would appreciate it if you could take a look.

Edit: Max, did you make any changes to the buildings? My garages are 2x2 now. Corrupted maybe?

Edited by Ishantil

That's wierd, I didn't even touch the files that control the buildings. You are playing this with 19.6 HF2, right?

EDIT: Just to test, I'm going to revert to v18, then revert back to v19 and re-install the vehicle stuff.

EDIT2: Okay, didn't seem to have any problems there. So... I'll uninstal, reinstall and test from there. This will take the rest of the night (it's 22:19 where I am), so I'll come back to it tomorrow after work.

Edited by Max_Caine

I fixed it by verifying the game files. I wasn't able to reproduce it after adding your mod, so I'm pretty sure it's my fault.

I think it was something that I did with the buildings.xml. Making edits to that seems to add weirdness to the game. I thought for a second the role icons did it, but I think it was me, futzing around with building costs. I have no idea why it did it, though. I didn't change the values for the sizes of the buildings, but every 1x1 building became 2x2, which surprisingly, didn't crash the game. In any event, it's fixed now. I'm sorry to causing a false alarm! I hope you can cancel the verify.

------

I am having a problem with the Scout Car, however. I can't seem to fire the Laser Cannon. It's on there, but I can't use it as a weapon. Seems like maybe the edits to the cannon aren't complete? The tank has all of the weapon TU reserves like a person with a rifle does, which I found weird. Can you take a look? Oh and it has 80TUs, so I'm pretty sure it installed okay.

Also, is there a string missing for the Scimitar? I have a vehicle research item that says ######

Edited by Ishantil

Uh, I won't be able to look into it until Xeno finishes installing. However, what I can tell you is that the only messing I did with the scout car and the laser cannon is that I added an aimed shot to the laser cannon, and buffed the Hunter. I haven't actually tried the Hunter with the laser cannon, so no idea yet why it isn't working.

The TU shots for a laser cannon are "canon" *ahem*. In that when I first looked as the laser cannon, it has a snap shot at 20 TUs, and a normal shot at 30 TUs. Seeing as how vehicles had only 60 TUs prior to my buffing, I'm not surprised. The MG works alright, doesn't it?

Missing string for the scimitar - would that be in the item itself? As in, you clikc on #### and you get a Scimitar?

Weirdly, after reloading the game again, the Laser Cannon seems to be working. I will try out the aimed shot and see if it works okay. . 15 shots is too few, should be 25. This is an assault vehicle, not a toaster.

I'm researching the ###### vehicle now, so I assume it's the Scimitar. I don't have any anti-grav technology or anything, so I'm sure it probably popped up after the Alien Electronics finished.

I wonder if any of the other assets for the Archangel are in there...I saw it when poking around.

Have you looked around to see if it's possible to add the other tanks in? There's something tracked in there, looked more like an IFV. As well as something called an Archangel which looked to be another tank.

---------

The Laser Cannon (VV.Pulse Laser) can only be fired as an auto shot at 40TUs. It doesn't have the icons to switch between single and burst. Is that intentional?

Scimitar is indeed missing a string somewhere. When I finished the ######## item, the Scimitar showed up.

Edited by Ishantil

The Pulse Laser should have snap/normal/aimed/burst. Have you tried roling it with the mousewheel? It should also do that with the Scimitar - have you tried it out with the Scimitar, to see if there's a difference between the Hunter and the Scimitar? I wonder if there's a bug present.

I just built a scimitar! Is the smoke grenade intended to do 80 damage? Or is the technical readout in the vehicle bay simply incorrect?

And I am testing it out on the Medium I just found intact on the ground!

Edit: Frustrated by the poor UI. It doesn't switch the picture when you switch weapons, so I can't figure out if I can even get to the grenade launcher. :( I fired off some some grenades, though, which was awesome.

So you press L twice to get to the frag grenades?

Edited by Ishantil

@SteelSoldier: That was pretty friggen sweet! Really well put together.

@Ishantil: Yes, the textbox in the vehicle equip screen is incorrect. That needs changing. Regarding the poor UI. That's because there isn't any UI. It's clear development on secondary weapons had gotten up to a point where it could be tested out - then someone said "nope!" and that's all she wrote. That you have no UI is the direct consequence of that. You should only have to press L once.

Still no idea why the pulse laser is interacting with the Hunter like that. But it's due to change anyway, so OH WELL.

EDIT: I can see that there have been quite a few downloads. How are peopl finding the vehicles? Is there a lot in the way of changes needed to be made?

Edited by Max_Caine

I hope they either let us edit the UI or hook up the secondary weapons UI to it. Those little buttons to the side could easy be used to cycle through the various weapons on a tank. The code is all there (the grenade switcher code could easily be adapted to switch secondary weapons). They just need to hook it up.

Well.. I don't know enough about .lua scripts to do it (trans: I know notheeeng), but the combat UI is all in a .lua script, so theoretically, it might be possible to write a routine in it to call up the secondary weapon into the gui when you press L. Or something.

Feedback People! I need me some feedback. How are the various secondary weapons working out? (I'm personally not very happy with the microrockets - I may tighten up the accuracy or boost the radius). I'm working on ideas for the Hunter's secondary weapons, but I'm not quite sure what's going to make the cut. Here are my thoughts:

6-shot flare launcher (probably uncessary when the headlights are implemented).

6-shot smoke launcher.

6-shot concussion grenade launcher (stun damage only)

6-shot incendiary grenade launcher (set fires!)

2-shot TOW missile (hypervelocity, high accuracy, no radius, high mitigation+damage)

Ambulance module (basically a vehicle with a medkit - sound iffy to you?)