Combat (in)accuracy?

Start of combat. Sebiillian nine squares away, no cover. I have three guys in the end of the chopper.

Sniper: 75% miss

Assault: 56%, miss, 56% miss

Assault: 56%, miss, 56% miss

Just now, standing two squares away, 95% miss with shotgun. Next turn, kills my guy (of course).

This is getting ridiculous.

So am I being lied to? By say...50%? Because everyone seems more accurate, well, actually, no, just the aliens.

I think there is a bug when trying to fire from/to certain types of tiles. Aaron said this was corrected, but my personal feeling is that there is hidden problem with accuracy on certain terrain. Just a feeling. I've had a lot of "bad luck" trying to hit aliens inside ships lately. More then I think can be justified by just randomness. Example: I had an alien standing dead center (no cover) in the control room of a scout ship. Three guys firing at him from the outside at about 6 tiles distance. One AR, one pistol, and one LMG. The LMG had a 19% chance. I got one hit three full rounds of combat. In the meantime the alien killed all my guys one by one.

Edited by StellarRat

The debug output should explain shots that hit / miss, although I've not looked at it lately myself. The scattering may just still be screwed.

If you run this program while using the gc_editor.exe file variant then it should give a bit of commentary on the shot accuracy roll: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26290309/Dbgview.exe

Thanks Chris. I'll give that a try next time I play.

I did notice funky accuracy while shooting out of the Chinook. Might be similar to the weirdness sometimes experienced when shooting from the outside of a UFO.

Had an Alien like 6 tiles away from the Chinook, and took the whole team to hit him once, save loaded a couple times and it was generally the same.

However if I took 1 step outside the Chinook the accuracy seemed normal.

I believe Ive covered this in my rant enough, but yes. Androns are the worst, theres something wrong in there :D, but the reaction fire feels different in every species Ive encountered this last playthrough. I actually like the enemy fighting back for once though. :)

As for your guys missing, believe it or not, but my people got better after a few missions and can now shoot as good as a 15yr old playing paintball. Which is a tremendous improvement.

Edit:

I have no trouble shooting from charlies, UFOs seem a bit fishy sometimes, but its a LOT better than 19.5.

I dont shoot in point blank at all, I either stun baton them, or go with 3 tile approach:

Alien l cover l Xenonaut with no spaces between I always get 95 percent and hit almost as often.

Edited by ViniJones