Delayed Grenade Combustion

The way grenades work, is you throw them from cover, shout, "Frag out!" then duck. Currently, this is impossible, since grenades explode as soon as they land.

I would like to ask to make it so that grenades don't explode immediately--or at least, that it can be modded so they do not.

In the original EU1994 you could program your grenades to control when they'd go off.

It was a very useful feature, but not particularly realistic and I rarely used settings other than 'Now' or 'End of Turn'.

I'm not sure whether or not I'd request its return given how powerful grenades already are in the game, giving them even more utility doesn't seem like a great idea at this point in the game's development.

I agree a detonate on impact and detonate end of turn, perhaps giving a chance for the aliens to run but also allowing us to take cover would be great.

And was awesome in EU, TFTD, Apocalipse etc...and added a tatical flavour...like the despair tactics of suicidal nade mens.

Eh, somewhere on this forum it's written down that the reason grenades are instant use is to prevent absurd situations from occuring such as when a player has enough to prime a grenade but not enough to throw it or where primed grenades are passed around like a hot potato.

Yeah. More often, messengers were fed to household pets.

One possibility, is if you couldn't set how long the grenade was primed for. You could have it that all grenades automatically prime for the end of the second turn. That would be a good way to simulate "baking" a grenade, would mean that throwing it immediately would give aliens (or your own guys, if it fell at your own feet) a chance to duck for cover. If you messed up and don't have the TU to throw it, you can throw it next turn with a better chance of blasting the aliens before they move (at more risk to yourself).

Well.. based on my experiences in EU94, I can sort-of see where they are coming from. Because priming and throwing a grenade in EU94 took a large percentage of TUs, it was reasonably common for my frontline squaddies to have the TUs to either prime a grenade or throw it but not both. So more often than I'd like I'd be in a position where one of my backfield squaddies would prime a grenade, yell "FORE!" and toss it forward to my frontline squaddie to use. Of course, there are any number of ways to get around that kind of issue, but I'm guessing it's things like that which would have prompted insta-explode.

But this can be avoided simply by making them non pickable..

Well, people will complain grenade should be pickable blah blah blah...

But good grenades are thrown so they wont be picked....so maybe insta-explosion is the right way...

It is sad when good features are removed from single player games because people are exploiting them...and bitching about the exploit possibility.

Someone mentioned that delayed explosions of grenades is already in the code--but just turned off, currently. I expect the Devs will later make this moddable. This thread can be locked, if the mods find it beneficial.

• 5 weeks later...

I like it how it is now. Real grenades don't have timers. It's usually 5 seconds and that's it. Delaying to the end of the round allows you to throw first then move away if something goes wrong. That is highly realistic and potentially a life saver if your grenade bounces off a wall or something.

Edited by StellarRat

Unless your cooking your nade...then situation goes FUBAR.

I like to be able to cook so the nade explode before alien react, this can be a life saver on my side.

After you pulled the pin Mr. Grenade is nobody friend...

No pick ups!!

Technically you have to let go of the spoon THEN it's nobodies friend. So, you saying you'd like to be able to choose between instant detonation and end of your round detonation? 0 or 1? I could go for that.

Well, I have no problem with an instant or end of round timer. Anything longer wouldn't be realistic at all.

Agreed. My question was how to implement the system in the game.

When using C4 the 0 makes it happen at the end of the turn, so we couldn't use a 0 for an instant detonation.

Perhaps "Instant" and "End of Turn" options? Sounds kinda weird to me.