Soldiers lousy shots even at advanced rank

So far less than impressed by gameplay in this title. The aliens all seem to be sharp shooters whilst your troops are appalling shots even at advanced rank. This has the effect of making the game play seem unrealistic and protracted. You find you load and save a lot, with dumb luck playing a big part in your success. Taking on alien bases, for example, is simply an exercise in frustration as you almost always find you are low on ammo or almost out with several aliens still to kill.

Sorry don't mean to sound harsh but for me this is shaping up to be another UFO Enemy Unknown "wanna be", like Fraxis horrible XCOM title.

you are at an advanced rank after about 4 missions in the game. So that's yet another reason to have a much slower rank progression.

I don;t know what build you're playing. In 19.4 I found that grenades made a huge difference. In 19.5, these have been tweaked so it's a little harder. Snipers also seem to have suffered.

Close range combat has had the accuracy buff greatly increased, so most of the accurate shooting will take place fairly "close range". Close encounters of the 3rd kind indeed.

Also, rank-ups happen simply once they've accumulated enough "rank points", which they get every time they increase a stat. Thus, a veteran might have horrible accuracy but insane strength due to never firing a shot and running around the chinook every mission.

The stat and rank system needs to be tweaked, and the devs are aware of that.

Oh, and also, simply bring more ammo. ;)

Close encounters of the 3rd kind indeed.

I was just picturing Richard Dreyfuss shouting to the technician on the mountain "Just play the notes a few more times. I'm going to run round it and build up my strength for the trip."

I'm into the second month and things do get better (except for inside UFOs where accuracy and range drop like crashed UFOs from a New Mexico sky.)

Stun and LMGs are showing promise in 19.5

Oh, and also, simply bring more ammo. ;)

And something to play Whack-a-Alien with, because it's better to have a HTH weapon that you do not need than to need a HTH weapon you do not have. It is a philosophy that has served me faithfully over the years.

It occurs to me that the option for a bayonet or simple butt-strike/clubbing attack would be nice too.