V19 Experimental Build 5 available!

Geometric growth does seem like a better idea than a hard cap.

As for fishing for the best recruits, what stops me doing that now? I might be alone here, but I hire based on TUs, then accuracy. So why don't I dismiss some schmuck who has 52 TUs and accuracy? Because I don't think it's worth the £10k cost, even if I was guaranteed a good soldier in the hire screen. Instead, I'll use the loser as a scout or meatshield.

Balance

- Extensive rebalance of Geoscape UFO forces throughout the alien invasion

-- Scouts and Landing Ship UFOs will now appear throughout the entire game to help train rookies

Made an account just to share my happiness. After month one's flood of small money sources month 2 and 3 is just a swarm of continuous terror and fighter ships which always ruined my game. SO HAPPY :D

I dont mind the changes so far.

But maybe changing the weight or throwing range of smoke grenades would help, throwing them "ahead" of you is rough at the start, and you cant really put two clouds in between you and the enemy in the beginning.

So far it just makes you have to be more organized with your troops and troop placement (There is a way to align your troops if you are having friendly fire issues)

I would have left the sniper ranges alone, but the +TU seems to make a difference.

So far at the start the UFO breaches require intelligence now, vs toss 5 flashbangs and /win.

Ouch, balance goes worse and worse so far. I'm not "crying baby", but every new build looks more tedious against previous. 18-th build had good machine guns. You cut them down. 19-th build had goods snipers and grenades. You cut them down too. What we have now? There is no good weapon to fight aliens. All weapons is sh.t now!

All my 8-man team stands near one poor Sectoid Non-Combatant and fire him about five turns... And nothing happens! Only suppression! All the ground around him is black, but he is alive! He just standing in the middle of grassy field and does nothing. And I lose more hit points by friendly fire than by his counterattacks. Hallelujah! He is down. Now do the same with next alien and next...

Finally, we reach the UFO. Open door - fire, step aside - end turn. Repeat for 10-15 turns. My God! Are you kidding the players?

Next mission. Same map, same enemies, same stuck in one poor alien... No, this is intolerable. Alt+F4 is best weapon now!

I have bought absolutely different game. Its a pity that the project went on such a path of development. Ground combat must be more deadlier. As for aliens, as well as, for our troops. Machine gun burst with no cover - frag, close range shotgun shot - frag, two sniper shots - frag, grenade, rocket - three frags, left your soldier in the line of fire - frag. Worried that the fight will be too short? Make more aliens! Are you afraid of accidental deaths of our soldiers? Do more injuries with loss of consciousness, as in the original.

Which game are you playing? ;)

I've not had any issues so far; my team is still just as deadly, if not more so.

You're using the higher aim options, right?

And about breaching the UFO; if you want to spend fifteen turns doing that, that's your choice. Personally, I just open the door and shoot the buggers where they stand, but maybe that doesn't work for you? I generally put two shield guys in the front and have them crouch, and let them fire their pistols like mad. Then I have guys with shotguns stand behind them and fire over their heads, mercilessly gunning down anything inside. On occasion, I'll toss a C4 into the UFO, but that messes up my finances, so I try not to do that too much.

And about breaching the UFO; if you want to spend fifteen turns doing that, that's your choice. Personally, I just open the door and shoot the buggers where they stand, but maybe that doesn't work for you? I generally put two shield guys in the front and have them crouch, and let them fire their pistols like mad. Then I have guys with shotguns stand behind them and fire over their heads, mercilessly gunning down anything inside. On occasion, I'll toss a C4 into the UFO, but that messes up my finances, so I try not to do that too much.

Weird, that works for you? For me, aliens inside UFO's have been pretty much impossible to hit ever since V19 Build 1. I can literally walk to the square right next to an alien and fire a five round burst with a heavy and miss every shot. It usually takes about fifty shots to kill one alien from 5 squares distance if the alien is inside a UFO. I wrote a bug about it at http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/6252-v19-Experimental-Ground-combat-Almost-impossible-to-hit-aliens-inside-UFO-s

Well, there's the glitch that's keeping the shots from flying correctly, of course. But that's not a balance issue, that's a bug. The poster was complaining about the balance of "nerfing guns", and I was saying that they're not super nerfed. The game bugs get in the way of playing it properly, of course. But, for the most part, I've not had any super bad issues with it. Granted, I've not played tons of v19.4 or v19.5. The most I've played of the experimental was v19.2.

Accuracy and range inside the UFOs is definitely an issue. As above, you can spend a number of turns shooting with rifles form outside a light scout and not hit a thing. I've had misses from point blank as well.

In practice: Breach soldier opens door. Suppresses as many as possible. Retreat. LMG steps up and takes out any alien not behind cover. If behind cover, I use stun grenades (got to watch the overkill on anything else now).

I tried a shotgun on two missions. The first it was effective. The second it missed completely from outside the UFO, so it has been dumped again.

I was thinking it was a design issue rather than a bug. The early UFOs are small with few hiding places for the aliens. Having an accuracy/ range decrease forces the player into the UFO.

It just looks very odd, but I imagine that redesigning the UFO interiors is not something that the devs want to even consider at this stage.

possibly occlude sight of the UFO interior until you're in it? a sort of interior fog of war. Unless it all is a bug of course :)

I love it when I miss shots and they are like, 70 degrees off target. Like having to turn your body or shoot your gun sideways to do that! Also, if you shoot by someone, the bullets tend to move sideways to hit any soldier even remotely close to the line of fire. Magic! :D

Which game are you playing? ;)

I've not had any issues so far; my team is still just as deadly, if not more so.

You're using the higher aim options, right?

I am using different aim options with same result.

I have no doubt that there is a tactic that allows you to clean up a UFO faster than than 15 turns. It is even easier to do this with pair of bazookas :) What I mean is that the game does not allow the player to act as he would act in the real life. First, I contend that aliens behave inadequate inside the UFO. They just stand behind data cores instead of run out the ship and counterattack player. Even if they will just roam the map, they will more dangerous, more adequate. Second, I would argue that the numerical parameters of weapons and units do not meet any expectations. I am absolutely not interested in what cause the developers rebalance weapon to be such inaccurate. The point is that it's annoying. Another example: weakest sektoid easily survives bazooka shot. Missile able to blow up an armor is to weak to kill human-like creature! And other: rookie solider haven't enough TU's to use sniper rifle in right way. He have 54 TU, but shot costs 62. Player can skip so much turns as he wishes, but soldier will never make this stupid aimed shot! I rush all my squad to kill one poor alien from close range and expect of fast and bloody solution. But I don't get it. I get tons of suppression and friendly fire.

Developers do not see the forest behind the trees. They carried away with numbers and forget how looks the world around them.

I've never had a sectoid, much less the weakest variety, survive a hit with a rocket. Even the splash damage seems to kill them outright.

Also, like I said, the inaccuracy inside the UFO is a bug, not a developer balance decision. As in, they don't like it either, and are working on fixing it.

The precision rifle has been nerfed by increasing the TUs needed for the higher shots. Thus, only veteran soldiers can use the rifle to it's fullest extent. I'm not sure why you would be giving the most TU intensive weapon in the game to someone with subpar TUs, anyway, although that's your decision. Perhaps they have a good accuracy score? I dunno.

As far as friendly fire goes, that's your own fault, in all honesty. I've had maybe two friendly fire situations playing this game since we hit beta, and both were my own fault due to me not paying attention to the battlefield. That's not to say that others may get less lucky than me, I'm just saying that more often than not in my experience, friendly fire is easily avoided if you are cautious. Judging by the fact that you said you rushed your whole squad up to kill one lone alien, however, it doesn't seem like you're using the same cautious approach I am, and thus you can expect different results. (Not saying mine is the ultimate method; though it is effective.)

I've never had a sectoid, much less the weakest variety, survive a hit with a rocket. Even the splash damage seems to kill them outright.

Rocket power and enemy HP's are changing from build to build. 19.1 had adequate rockets, but now they are weak again.

Also, like I said, the inaccuracy inside the UFO is a bug, not a developer balance decision. As in, they don't like it either, and are working on fixing it.

This bug was detected many builds ago. If they "working on it" until this time, may be they just need another programmer?

The precision rifle has been nerfed by increasing the TUs needed for the higher shots. Thus, only veteran soldiers can use the rifle to it's fullest extent. I'm not sure why you would be giving the most TU intensive weapon in the game to someone with subpar TUs, anyway, although that's your decision. Perhaps they have a good accuracy score? I dunno.

TU is universal power-skill for any unit: sniper or machine gunner doesn't matter. So why any rookie can you bazooka, machine gun, assault rifle in full extent, but sniper rifle not?

As far as friendly fire goes, that's your own fault, in all honesty. I've had maybe two friendly fire situations playing this game since we hit beta, and both were my own fault due to me not paying attention to the battlefield. That's not to say that others may get less lucky than me, I'm just saying that more often than not in my experience, friendly fire is easily avoided if you are cautious. Judging by the fact that you said you rushed your whole squad up to kill one lone alien, however, it doesn't seem like you're using the same cautious approach I am, and thus you can expect different results. (Not saying mine is the ultimate method; though it is effective.)

I getting friendly fire when my soldier suddenly fires for 45 deg against the target. Did you seen any real soldier, who can fault his aim so epic?

About "cautious approach". We must distinguish between it and "notorious, labor-style play". In the first case we can act precisely but effective. In the second case we must spend 10 turns to kill weakest alien in an open field by entire squad.

TU is universal power-skill for any unit: sniper or machine gunner doesn't matter. So why any rookie can you bazooka, machine gun, assault rifle in full extent, but sniper rifle not?

It's to stop the sniper rifle being so mobile. Before the nerfs, it was fairly trivial to move the sniper into position. Now it's a bit harder. You don't want to be running most of your squad with snipers anymore.

I do agree that the shotgun and assault rifle are pants, though. They need huge accuracy buffs.

Also, in 19.5, a RL using frag rockets deal 80 damage, while caesan non-combatants have 60 hp. The only way it'd survive is if you didn't hit it directly, in which case you'll still wipe out most of its life and leave it without cover.

It's to stop the sniper rifle being so mobile. Before the nerfs' date=' it was fairly trivial to move the sniper into position. Now it's a bit harder. You don't want to be running most of your squad with snipers anymore.[/quote']

Is the sniper has no accuracy penalty for fire after moving?

Also' date=' in 19.5, a RL using frag rockets deal 80 damage, while caesan non-combatants have 60 hp. The only way it'd survive is if you didn't hit it directly, in which case you'll still wipe out most of its life and leave it without cover.[/quote']

Yes, it wasn't direct hit - rocket hit neighborer tile. But it still looks odd - in the real world, even from distance of 2-3 meters the rocket will tear an alien to shreds. Sniper rifle takes 62 TU's to make effective shot, when only 30 enough to fire bazooka. It is really strange, isn't it? May be will be clever make bazooka really destructive, but heavier, more inaccurate and with more expensive TU's?

This bug was detected many builds ago. If they "working on it" until this time, may be they just need another programmer?

I am not sure if you were trying to be helpful. If you are props.

I imagine this is a complicated bug that may last another few builds. (I think we had the same problem with seeing into ufos right?)

I do not think they have the budget to hire another programmer. Buuuut maybe they can find one that works for food >.> but that is unlikely.

I'm sure the bug is more complicated than you think; if you know of someone that can fix any bug magically in a short period of time, then I'm sure the devs would love you to introduce them to this magical programmer. ;)

At any rate, as far as rockets go, I hit a Caesan with one, neighboring tile, and he blew up and died (and I lost several thousand dollars worth of alien tech. Woohoo...). I haven't used rockets much since then, since I don't like losing so much money. That doesn't stop me from fielding one just in case, however.

The RL would be more useful if we still had AP rockets; incendiaries would be awesome too.