Over in a thread discussing Jackal armour, StellarRat said:-

I'd have to say the most difficult mission I ever attempted were when the AI had that bug that allowed it to see everything and gave it a ton of TUs. Those terror missions were just, well, terrifying. Coming back with two surviving was a "GOOD" mission.

that got me thinking, what were the most challenging missions for everyone else.

For me there was a big jump in alien numbers from 7-8 to 21 in my first Alien Base defence in 19/4. Not just the numbers but the alien rank increased by a couple of steps as well. As I'm using ballistic weapons, even the grenadiers were stretched at the time.

I'm fairly sure that if the aliens had been slightly more aggressive, I'd have been overrun.

After they fixed AI GOD mode everything turned quite more easy. Except medium to large alien bases. Theres serious madness going on in there, to the point I still dont have a clear tactic/solution that doesnt end with half team dead.

I do miss the all seeing aliens with unlimited reaction fire, really, it made for some epic challenging missions. Now im just not very motivated to play the game in its current AI status.

Yea the old terror mission were nail biters, then after the fix it was a walk in the park, hopping around mid game that sense of dread comes back heh.

Alien/Xeno bases are are still tense, but probably because of the bugs, I'm still in september in 19.4 and haven't seen that yet tho.

I get occasional UFO missions where there are no aliens at all deployed outside of the UFO, but an abnormal amount of them inside it.

I fought an Andron Battleship yesterday which gave that configuration... my kill-count at the end of the mission was 56. I was seriously worried at one point that I just wouldn't have enough ammo to kill them all as they just kept coming.

Fortunately, the AI made the mission just about doable. I set up a firing line in the main ground-floor room and just killed the waves of them as they came through the door from the teleporters. Plus they got a good few friendly-fire kills.

Haven't really played enough of the game, but my first (and only) alien base attack has been the most challenging. I literally only won with a few guys left because the AI in the final room sucked and by the end I had no ammunition (stupid lasers) so was using alien plasma weapons as a last resort.

Next time, screw recovering loot - I think I'll just nuke the place with rockets.