Build V8.61 Released!

My system was infected by vista antispyware 2012 virus this week so I had to fork out on my mcafee renewal.

I'd have recommended Avira or AVG as free alternatives for anti-virus so you could have put the money towards Xenonauts. Add Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy scanners on top of that and you'd have a good anti-virus setup for zero dollars.

Regarding the new updates, farm maps were my favorite to destroy. Hopefully there will be some dry wheat fields.

I clearly fail at communicating. Yes, I know this release is just a bugfix (and I was eager to test it) but I was equally excited about the teaser picture :D

Also, Chris, it probably didn't show very well but my "here" in my post about the Combat GUI was actually a link to a thread where you showed some mockups of a new combat GUI. Since that GUI is not present in the farm teaser pic, I was wondering if it was dropped of if we are to expect a new combat GUI anytime "soon".

Build V8.61 has been released on Desura. This is only a quick hotfix to sort out a couple of pervasive stability

That is all. As mentioned elsewhere in the forums, we're working on a major update at the moment. Here is a sneak peek of it (much left to do on it still):

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/farm.jpg

This makes me feel like there's a muton lurking somewhere. Awesome.

Back to some testing after a period of heavy work.

I have to say that the game seems much more stable now.

I was able to play some missions, up to a couple hours without crashes and blockying bugs.

I think the areas that still need some work are:

-Save/Load, especially in ground combat. Some properties are not saved or not loaded (John Longname...)

-Inventory screen for soldiers during ground combat sometimes seems disconnected from the mission. Sometimes the inventory screen is not correctly updated, sometimes pressing the inventory does not load the correct weapons but pressing again the I key then then the screen is loaded, sometimes after loading a munition clip the weapon disappears, and so on. I was not able to reproduce these problems consistently, as they seem quite sporadic, so I have not added bug threads.

There is also a minor thing I'd like to tell:

I generally like the music/sound of the game, except for the music of the geoscape. In the geoscape music there is a sort of click/pop every few seconds of the game that is quite annoying. It stands out from the music being played, as it has a slightly higher volume. Could you remove it?

By the way, why the save games are in My Documents\Xenonauts instead of My Documents\My Games\Xenonauts? I don't like much programs that leave files around. In most Windows versions there is now a location for save games...

As a final note, I really liked night missions, even if flares do not work really well. The automatic addition of flares in night missions is very welcome.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by stx
Added a note on the saves folder location

Could you possibly just add a shadow, or a shadow object set to stay at a position on the object (Less work in the long run), but so it would be under the object, such as just with a higher draw distance, and the player/enemies/civilians with have a lower one so they will stay on top? Heh... It seems, confusing, but it should work I think :)

- Wolfy

Could you possibly just add a shadow, or a shadow object set to stay at a position on the object (Less work in the long run), but so it would be under the object, such as just with a higher draw distance, and the player/enemies/civilians with have a lower one so they will stay on top? Heh... It seems, confusing, but it should work I think :)

- Wolfy

Yeah simple shadows for people/aliens would certainly look nice.