Build V8.61 Released!

Build V8.61 has been released on Desura. This is only a quick hotfix to sort out a couple of pervasive stability issues:

- You should now be able to complete ground combat missions on 1280x1024 screen resolution. This was an issue with text sizes that prevented the mission completion screen from loading.

- UFO fighters should no longer cause crashes when shot down. Unfortunately this will only affect new games - it was an issue with alien UFO squadron generation where one of the fighters was invisible in game terms and there being problems when half a squadron was shot down.

- Sprites: We've corrected the Flare-equipped sprites for all armour types, the Injury animation for all armours, and the Machinegun-equipped Basic Armour soldiers should no longer appear in Wolf armour.

- Hidden Movement screen should be back in.

That is all. As mentioned elsewhere in the forums, we're working on a major update at the moment. Here is a sneak peek of it (much left to do on it still):

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/farm.jpg

Oh my that's beautiful...really takes me back. Is it an example of the new 10x10 tilesets?

The unit's don't quite seem to 'fit' though. Really need shadows heh.

Oh right, new build! Good to hear! A few forumites posted about the new build before this though, funnily enough.

I'll look into the double-spawning. That might be a side effect of the fighter fix. Hmmm.

Moonshine, the new screenshot is of V9 rather than V8.61 (hence why it is a preview). But yes, this is an example of the new 10x10 ground tiles at work. The improvements we hope to have in V9 are:

- Improved ground tiles (these still need slightly better blending and more variation)

- Proper walls / hedges / buildings (they're currently unpainted 3D models in that screenshot)

- Farmer civilians rather than office workers

- Unit shadows

- Sebillians as well as Caesans

EDIT - also possibly the new GUI but I'm unsure as yet.

So, more cover around on the farm, that's nice :)

(Been following this for a year, first time I've said anything... looking here over the last days made me finally buy the thing :), keep up the good work!)

Edited by Edraii

Ooh! Have to check this out when I get home. Fighting on that indy area is starting to get a liiiiittle bit old ;)

Actually that's just a preview if I understand Chris correctly, 8.61 only contains bugfixes.

But yeah, that looks awesome indeed. :D

Oh, and had to retreat from a combat due to low fuel, and they (2 F-17's) seemed to be retreating really slowly (then the remaining scout picked them both off).

Only had to do that once, had hit the enemy so he was fleeing as well. Both F-17's took quite a long time to get off the map as I recall.

Welcome, Edraii. Basically there's no cover in that screenshot because the props for that map haven't been done. Expect there to be more random bits of cover dotted about in the fields, and some of the fields to have tractor garages etc on them. As well as there being the odd barn etc.

We're also getting larger 20x20 ground tiles done for the UFO crash site and dropship landing sites, which can have more buildings or cover around them. For the Industrial tileset the Chinook will probably be landing in a car park, and on the Farmyard one it'll be landing on a concrete loading bay or a stone courtyard. There should be 2-3 variations of each to keep it interesting.

Welcome, Edraii. Basically there's no cover in that screenshot because the props for that map haven't been done. Expect there to be more random bits of cover dotted about in the fields, and some of the fields to have tractor garages etc on them. As well as there being the odd barn etc.
Oh, I assumed the stonebrick walls could be used for partial cover to crouch behind. I was talking about partial cover to fire from, not solid cover to hide behind. Something the urban/industrial map didnt seem have to much of outside buildings.

Not assuming the hedge and wodden fence to work like that thou... those things are proboably not solid enough :)

Oh, I assumed the stonebrick walls could be used for partial cover to crouch behind. I was talking about partial cover to fire from, not solid cover to hide behind. Something the urban/industrial map didnt seem have to much of outside buildings.

Yup, you can. You can also hide behind the hedge and fence although they offer a much lower level of protection (the hedge in particular does largely obscure anything hiding behind it and makes it harder to hit).

There should also be things like haystacks and possibly feed troughs etc lying around to offer more cover in the middle of a field, which is what I was referring to before.

IceVamp - yes, it is possible. It's not our highest priority but there's no reason why we can't do it and I think it'd be cool to have a couple of maps like that in the final game.

Oh... The "Basic Armor Machinegunner" animations are glitched.

How do you say it, they... well, are glitchy, basically.

Edit: Specifically the Crouch/Stand animation, and there is no fire animation but I'm not sure if it's put in yet or not as I've got poor memory...

Edit 2: And nice to know, sounds like the farm will be fun to fight on.

Edited by Edraii

Here is a sneak peek of it (much left to do on it still):

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/farm.jpg

Holy shit Chris, that looks great!!! I am really excited to see all the progress coming down the pipe. Any idea/timetable set for next press build and then beta?

I am anxious to pre-order, but know I'll play it soon after the pre-order and don't want a alpha stability feel to be my first experience. What resolution do you have available? 1920x1200? 1920x1080?

Ugh, all the crouch animations seem glitched. How did that happen? :(
Errr, ALL crouch animations are not glitched but... All animations related to the "Basic Armor Machinegunner" seem glitched, the rest of them seem fine?

Or did I get something wrong here?

Hi,

Just registered and bought the game! Needed an X-com fix after all the latest news and without the nostalgia of playing the original (never played it) I remembered Totalbiscuits WTF video and grabbed this! :) Looks like I picked a good time for it, new build!

Cheers,

Oh man, after having a look at an early alpha build I went into a total Xenonauts media blackout to avoid spoiling my fun, but I couldn't resist clicking that screenshot. I really can't believe how much progress has been made in these last months, the map looks absolutely beautiful!

Damn I really need to pre-order. My system was infected by vista antispyware 2012 virus this week so I had to fork out on my mcafee renewal. Hopefully in two weeks I should be able to get it. Any spare change for an old xcom war vet. (I fought for this damn planet)