Base Building and Observations on Such

I was thinking about how I used to build my bases in TFTD and how I build them here.

One thing really jumps out at me. To me it is the lack of space, please allow me to elaborate.

One of my basic base building strategies in other games of this ilk is to keep the possible access points to my base chokeholded as much as possible. In TFTD I made it a habit of keeping my hangers connected to the rest of my base by the single access point that the base started with. Yeah I wasted a bit of building space but when the inevitable base assault did happen that paid off by a much easier defensible position. The opportunity cost being the wasted line of space between my hangers and the rest of my base.

Now in this game for my first couple play throughs I tried to do the same thing and quickly realized it really wasn't possible.

So my next Idea was to specialize my bases, airbase here, research base there, manufacturing in another. But I found quickly the economy doesn't support such grand ideas.

I think the problem I have ran into can be tied to two very specific things.

1: The cost of the command center starting a base. 500k is hugely expensive for just the core of a base without any functional rooms.

or

2: The size of the rooms in the base. Almost all the rooms are 1x2 squares in size. Very few are 1x1.

To me I am of the opinion that this is a bit of a overburden for trying to make either functional bases or economic choices. Especially with the manufacturing of late game items taking so many techs and the requisite living space and manufacturing rooms to make any of the ships at a reasonable speed.

My suggestion would be either lower the cost of the command center (aka the core of the new base) to allow us to specialize a bit more. Or reduce the size of such rooms as the living quarters, research and manufacturing to give us more real estate for our initial investment.

The available space (grid) for bases was actually reduced a while ago to encourage diversifying and building more than one central base. I cannot remember if there were other motives behind it as well, though there probably were.

I'd enjoy more space, yeah, it'd allow for more diverse base designs. As far as motivation to expand and build more bases, I'd suggest reducing the base price as well. However, the economy isn't balanced yet, so the money and funding is still being tweaked and fixed for balance issues.

One tip, you can rotate buildings. Use the scrollwheel.

However, the picture gets messed up (I think it still does, at least) and I can't remember, but I think it messes up your base defense missions. If that can't be fixed, the rotating should just be removed; no feature should cause crashes every time.

Rotating base parts shouldn't cause a CTD in base defence missions -there are GC versions of the rooms in both orientations; if you see that again, could you post a bug please?

I would like to significantly reduce the cost of the building the core of a new base too, it's pretty cost prohibitive right now just to get a non-functional base.

Edited by Aaron

Basically every room has an access point on each wall (if it is a double room then it has two access points on the long axis). When rooms are placed next to each other those access points are linked to become the big doors, otherwise they are invisible.

However when aliens attack they choose one or more (at random) of the unused access points (so normally around the edge of the base) and break in through that section of wall - you can see this as a generic looking small brown room attached to the base at the moment. Those are just place holders and the final versions will look like alien transport pods of some sort, and the walls will have some sort of damage effect to show they've been breached. This way you cannot build your base to make easy alien choke points as you could in the original.

Basically every room has an access point on each wall (if it is a double room then it has two access points on the long axis). When rooms are placed next to each other those access points are linked to become the big doors, otherwise they are invisible.

However when aliens attack they choose one or more (at random) of the unused access points (so normally around the edge of the base) and break in through that section of wall - you can see this as a generic looking small brown room attached to the base at the moment. Those are just place holders and the final versions will look like alien transport pods of some sort, and the walls will have some sort of damage effect to show they've been breached. This way you cannot build your base to make easy alien choke points as you could in the original.

Well Bloody Hell. Well guess it is good to see the aliens getting smarter ;-p