V1Full of the Walrus Tactical Balisitc expansion: Art, XP, and recoil update.

WalrusJones

Changelog:Bugfixes, particularly in strings.Added new sound effects, art, and the alien class mod.Recoil experiment: Many weapons have been made more accurate, but require fairly superhuman soldiers to use effectively (In theory.)- Quote from a cross country relative who I have doing testing: "The hunting revolver is no longer inaccurate, you just have shitty soldiers!"- Other weapons subject to recoil: SVD (Now quite accurate, but high recoil,) machinegun (Minor nerf, shouldn't effect most soldiers well suited to wielding it,) SKS (In compliment with an accuracy buff. Once again, many soldiers will be better with it, many will be TERRIBLE with it.)XP alterations: XP should be earned at a faster pace, but you will quickly max out out on your per mission XP (In most cases.)- Strength is astray from this, soldiers don't need to be carrying nearly as much to be eligible for a strength increase, but strength XP is slower for eligible soldiers (As strength is a very important stat due to recoil.)Alien armor isn't quite ready yet, multi ammo is in redesign, and will likely not be a part of tier 1 (Which was going to have stun ammo, but I have decided that it would be best to introduce such things later in the teir tree, where we could add a REASONABLY useful set of stun ammo's, as opposed to anti-human ones that would only really work against ceasans only... In balance, AND realism.)This changelogs spelling, and grammar sucks in the original version (I was tired when I wrote it,) read it here, its much more bearable.

- Also redid the animations, they should be less shit now.

hentai-ouji-to-warawa4gsh3.gif

CLICK THE GIRL TO DOWNLOAD THIS MOD! (Or... Go to the page where you can get V1 Full.)

Just overwrite your V18 xenonauts assets folder to get the juices flowing, and enjoy the somewhat improved version of the first version of the mod.

Also included are teasers of many of the assets I plan on using in the final tiers of the ballistic era, and some PDN files I may have sloppily left in the mod folder. (I actually cannot remember if I did this.)

You will need paint.net to open them, mind you.

IF you are interested in how I make my art assets, those are for you.

Regardless, Rallying call to everyone who uses the first version of the mod, as this one should be vastly improved, albiet.

I need feedback.

I cannot build this alone, need all of your love, feedback, and glorious tears.... Harsher feedback and complaints.

If you want something, be sure to make yourself heard.

Unfortunately, if that thing is a G3, I am having serious trouble doing a good job on one of those.

I will try some more, but I might not be able to put out.

Credit goes to to Max Caine, his artists, Laggy Wolf, for their respective bits of art (The Alien class mod, And Laggy Wolfs initial weapon sprites that sparked off this very mod.)

Big new questions for those who wish to use my mod:

Alien armor is a pretty huge feature, and.... Balancing it is actually very difficult.

It may be a long time before I release the next version, as balancing alien armor prior to me working my tier magic is going to be excessively difficult.

So, I ask you the magic question to those of you interested in using this mod: Are you interested in seeing versions of the mod released as I finish the unpolished tiers, or do you want to see a distant future update consisting of all the new content for the ballistic segment of the game, followed by the alien armor and balancing patch?

Edited by WalrusJones

I don't know there are some people who have some really great ideas and fascinating projects planned or being worked on for Xenonauts; to include yourself. It's about research and execution, in time I'll be we see some really great things from this community. When I release my mod I'll relase my files and allow others to use what I've made as shortcuts for their mods. I'd like to see someone make an Army version of what I've made or better yet a Star Wars version. I almost made a Storm Trooper invasion mod but I flipped a coin and the Marines won and here we are today =D

starwarsstormtroopersfantasyarthothartwork1600x1200wallpaper_wwwwall321com_87_zpsfa023b9f.jpg

Edited by cspruce

I suppose I am biased since you are probably the most prolific artist I have seen in this general area, something which most modders need help with.

As for the PDN release, I ended up not including them.

Would anyone be interested in a PDN pack to help with visualizing my work process for the good of all modkind?

It is easy, but very time intensive (The SKS cleanup and alteration took 5 hours, due to me cleaning a complicated 6 megapixel image.)

5 hours!!!! You need photoshop, if you're going to mod you need the right tools.

It wasn't a lack of photoshop, it was part of what makes the new images so high quality: You need to remove as many of the white pixels as you possibly can, and while magic wand (Any of the versions) can generally get this to one pixel on all edges, this leaves you with several thousand pixels that need to be deleted by hand.

Its sculpting, as opposed to painting, and if I use too strong of a magic wand in the removing all that is pure white empty space, I seriously damage the base, and end sprite.

Thus, I go too weak, and delete 14K pixels by hand, one by one, to create the highest quality base image as I possibly can before doing my spritification of the weapon.

Also, A 5 minute alteration of the new supreme commander of the Xenonauts:

grGsfja.png

Edited by WalrusJones

he looks like a black ron pearlman with fangs

ISSS OLD DECREPIFIED WALRUS JONES.

Cute spherical walrus's don't stay cute forever.

Also, I have now added my weapon of choice to my testing version of the game, it is obtained upon completing a Sebellian autopsy..... (on the logic train "Knives can't hurt these things, sooo....")

It isn't great, trust me on this, however, it is hilariously fun to use.

QLCoeSN.png

I am probably never going to release it, but here is proof that I have instituted it into my own personal copy.

Edited by WalrusJones

Should I add a poll over whether or not I should add them to the normal game?

They will use the baton animations when I get them in (I can't do new animations for it myself,) are two handed, and do significantly more damage then anything available at the time (Its kinetic, which will have some downsides when the alien armor comes around.)

It would also be exceptionally silly.

However, if people are fine with it, I will release it in the next version.

Edited by WalrusJones

Why is it two-handed? :S

Well, Its a bastard sword sized sword (It is a Messer, a big one, so Grosse Messer, (Which hold the world records on slashing and chopping power for swords,)) and we are fighting aliens with very advanced armor.

You want to swing with as much force as you possibly can get.

(Especially when my excuse for your them getting it was an enthusiastic engineering guy who heard that "Nearly every traditional standard issue knives are unable to pierce a sebellian hide," and going full sword nut in the workshop (Yes, it is manufactured... Why do you thing the first instance of their use was me slaughtering new yorkers in a terror mission.))

While it's extra effort, you could have a sharp & pointy flavour download and a blunt & ballistic flavour :)

Or I could just include two researches XML with every release: One has the sword unlocking disabled, off to the side.

Edited by WalrusJones

Well that makes sense. Though in that case you'd probably want a thrusting weapon.

Forget the Messer, pack in a Pollaxe instead. :cool:

Tucks were good for that, but a Messer would be literally among the last slashing weapons designed to beat the armor of their time (They were meant to go up against pretty thick platemail... and performed admirably despite the fact that slashing weapons generally being terrible for the job: They were sturdy enough to chop through the thinner parts of the armor to slash what was underneath it.)

They were a swansong of slashing weaponry, that later was refitted into the smaller sabers that were used until world war 1 in cavalry regiments when metal armor was obsoleted by firearms.

Hence, why I chose it, as a badass show of brute force. Something to write back to Xyzzy about traumatized by, like the banzai charges of WW2.

Edit: The first post is about to get some information on where this mod is going.

Edited by WalrusJones

Never heard about that the Messer was supposed to be used against the armor of its time, since that would indicate it's meant to be a wartime weapon, which it really wasn't.

The HEMA societies where I sniffed around certainly never ever mentioned anything like that, nor anything else I looked up regarding the Messer, and I hope they should know their Renaissance fighting.

Thinner parts of the armor? I suppose you mean the gambeson/maille-only weakspots?

Edited by C. jejuni

I know that they were supposedly EXTREMELY effective against mail shirts, and later sebellians technically are shown wearing something much like a gambeson at the joints of their otherwise plate-alloys armor (Meaning, if this is what it likely is, a heat absorbing superconductor meant to be flexible,) meaning that the only alien we really need to worry about having no justifiable vulnerability to exploit are the Androns.

Not to mention, I mentioned Tungsten in the Xenopedia entry, so we don't need to worry about edge hardness (Only brittleness, shattering, and weight.)

This is a joke weapon, most importantly, while it will be effective, I have no intention of really putting any serious justification into it.

Edited by WalrusJones

That sword is very close to the Langes Messer I used a lot in Mount&Blade Warband, in CRPG online battles. Brings me memories....:rolleyes: Finally droped it and went full on a Flamberge.

I did a wakizashi some time ago in a mod, it was funny editing the charlie to carry 10 xenonauts equiped with that sword and head on charge clueless caesans with pistols. Funny enough the tactic works very effectively, if you dont mind losses :P

That sword is very close to the Langes Messer I used a lot in Mount&Blade Warband, in CRPG online battles. Brings me memories....:rolleyes: Finally droped it and went full on a Flamberge.

I did a wakizashi some time ago in a mod, it was funny editing the charlie to carry 10 xenonauts equiped with that sword and head on charge clueless caesans with pistols. Funny enough the tactic works very effectively, if you dont mind losses :P

My general tactic is to suppress the aliens with a... C4 chain reaction (Triggered by a hand grenade, their fuses were at 20 turns,) then banzai charge.

Very few losses.

But generally, I would use them on civilians who stood in doorways.

Well that makes sense. Though in that case you'd probably want a thrusting weapon.
I think Messer would be a better choice against Sebillians. They can close up little pokes and have redunant organs, so thrusting wouldn't work too well. I have my doubts that they could regenerate missing limbs very quickly though. Against the other aliens the Messer may not be perfect, but it should be sufficient. Only Androns would really be immune.