Should we change the soldier ranks?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should we change the soldier ranks?

• Yea (change to the suggestion below)
    • Nay (leave them the way they are)
    • Yea, Other (explain in comments below)

In my opinion, and in the opinions of many others, the ranks used by the game are simply too high. You can reach Colonel for crying out loud; that's pretty unrealistic and immersion breaking for many players.

A simple fix is to change the ranks that the soldiers can receive.

There are eight rank slots. Currently, they are:

Private, Corporal, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Commander, Colonel.

I propose changing them to:

Private, Lance Corporal, Corporal, Sergeant, Sergeant Major, 2nd Lieutenant, Lieutenant, Captain.

Please vote:

Yea (Change the ranks to the proposed above),

Nay (Leave the ranks as they are in the game), or

Yea, Other (Explain in comment below).

Edited by GizmoGomez

An argument that I remember is "Having 8 commanders on a ship is unrealistic."

Would having 8 Captains on one ship be more realistic?

Just my annoying 2 cents C:

Yes, it would be more realistic. The lower rank does makes a difference. ;)

still sticking to my guns that there should be a cap on the number of soldiers in each rank, it worked well in EU and i can't see why it can't be added to this game.

It can't be added to the game because Chris doesn't want it in the game.

Simple as that.

Higher ranks boost morale, and limiting the ranks like that would mess with the balance they're working on.

Besides, this poll isn't about adding that. This is about the naming of the soldier ranks only.

*sigh*

Guys, this isn't anything about slowing ranks (which needs to happen, by the way) and it definitely isn't anything about making a rank cap. I just want to know: are the ranks in the game good, or should they be changed? If they should be changed, then what ranks should they be?

And ThunderGr, do you even read the posts? What did I just say, literally one post above yours?

Nay (leave them the way they are) but make harder to rank.

Private rankPoints="0"

Corporal rankPoints="5"

Sergeant rankPoints="15"

Lieutenant rankPoints="30"

Captain rankPoints="50"

Major rankPoints="150"

Commander rankPoints="300"

Colonel rankPoints="600"

And ThunderGr, do you even read the posts? What did I just say, literally one post above yours?

Maybe you noticed that I started with "Misvoted, darn!! Move a vote from 1 to 3, please.". So, do you read the posts before you ask someone if he reads the posts? :P

Obviously, no. I first posted, then read the posts :/. It is a poll, not a discussion.

Rank names and rank caps are connected, anyway. How is it different having 30 majors in a total soldier count of 30 soldiers in all bases than having 30 commanders in a total soldier count of 30 in all bases?

If your poll refers to just the names of the ranks then you can move my vote from 1 to 2.

only xenonaut with more then x kills and more then y mission shoud be promoted to z rank.

if xenonaut not met reqs, promotion postnoted.

if such limits implemented, your ufo breach party will rank up, but support units will always stay low rank.

Voted NO.

Not because I dont want ranks to be touched, but instead because theres nothing wrong with current ranks and its easy to mod the ranks you like yourself. The real problem with ranks is something else.

But if ranks had to be changed, I would say dont follow any real army ranks. Xenonauts is an independent organization with a very uncommon goal that disregards any rank its members could have in their original army and puts everybody at the level of private (noob), then lets people rank up and gain ranks that means nothing outside the xenonauts organization, so it should use its own customized ranks / badges that reflect the goal of xenonauts that is fight aliens and defend the planet.

Okay, I have had feedback, and it seems that the majority of people don't see the need to change the ranks.

Since that's the case, I'll leave it be.

I agree that the promotions are happening too fast, and that does need to be fixed. However, that's a part of balancing, since rank-ups do matter in the game (morale). I was only asking if the "insignificant" (as in, no bearing on gameplay) aspects, the names specifically, should be changed to make the game look better (even though it would still play exactly the same).

(And ThunderGr, obviously I read the post. Otherwise I wouldn't have commented on it. I'm confused as to why this wasn't obvious.)

',:-\

(And ThunderGr, obviously I read the post. Otherwise I wouldn't have commented on it. I'm confused as to why this wasn't obvious.)

',:-\

I thought it was obvious I was being sarcastic :P...Perhaps I should include sarcasm alerts next time ;).

Cheer up mate! Not everything is to be taken seriously :).

I voted yeah, even though I would like slightly different ranks, just because my nitpicking isn't that important and your ranks would be far better than current.

A squad of majors and colonels out fighting in close quarters combat is ludicrous and really hurts immersion for me.

Hang on, I'm reading 5 yeahs to 4 nays (clearly a cross section of the Xenonaut audience.) That means a change is indeed required!

Also I bet most of the yeah other votes would pick yeah as their second choice. I voted yeah rather than yeah other just to make it easier to tally the people who want it changed.

i already change the name of some of my soldiers in the save files it would be easy to change the name of the ranks if i so wished as it is the names are not to important it's the advancement that needs to be altered and that is beyond my ability to change.

I thought it was obvious I was being sarcastic :P...Perhaps I should include sarcasm alerts next time ;).

Cheer up mate! Not everything is to be taken seriously :).

I knew you were being sarcastic, sorry for the "seriousness." ;)

I find that using sarcasm tags helps.

[sarcasm] blah blah blah [/sarcasm].

Oh, hey, lookie here. There's more votes now. I like it better now than it was a while ago. :)

So, at the moment, people seem to understand that I'm just looking to alter the names of the ranks (the rapid rank progression is the developers problem, and they will fix that themselves, as it is part of the balancing), and they like the idea of using the ranks provided. Cool. :)

OR we could try something REALLY ground breaking and use entirely NEW ranks. I mean, think about it. This organization is the first alien fighting force the world has ever seen (according to UFOpedia, X-com was founded in 1994). Should they really be sharing rank names with the Army, Navy or Airforce?

Way ahead of you, Pondera. ;)

I came up with a better rank system:

Xenonaut-0 (X0)

Xenonaut-1 (X1)

Xenonaut-2 (X2)

Xenonaut-7 (X7)

These don't indicate superiority, or subordinates, or anything like that.

All of the ranks indicate (minus X0 "Ex-naught" or "Xeno-Not", informally) that you are a part of the Xenonauts, and you are all equal in authority. All other ranks were left behind when you joined. The number just indicates combat experience.

The Commander of the Xenonauts is an X7, hence an unofficial nickname for X7 ranked xenonauts is "Commander".

(I got inspiration from Mass Effect for the N7/X7 bit, and the "Commander" bit as well, though the X7 being the highest rank fits with the Commander monicker.)

Here's my mod page for the idea:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/6430-New-Xenonaut-Rank-Names-and-Images-%28artists-please-help-with-images%29

If you are good at doing art stuff, then please check it out; I need rank icons. ;)

Edited by GizmoGomez